fishing for Giltheaded bream (awrat)

Started by Simon G, June 29, 2006, 17:35:46 CET

Previous topic - Next topic

Simon G

hi guys

I am a great fan of fishing for this bream, the best set up and method i found is
a 4.2mt feeder rod coupled with a 60 feeder reel
the reel is filled with 200mt 20 diameter spectra
bottom trace is  1.5 mts of 20 or 25 fluoro carbon with a gamakatzu 3113 red worm hook size 1
method is running ledger (comba tigri)
bait is king rag worm or shel fish

i collect some sea urchins and crush them with bread and bits of fish shape them into balls and freeze them.
i go to the area i am going to fish at about 6 pm, cast out and check for current then i try and launch the bait balls as close to the lead as possible.
i bait the area every half hour for the first 3 hours then 1 every hour.

my best is 3 of over 2kg

did anyone find a better method or one that works as well

maxxon 420 with 30hp tohatsu
profesional aquarist and under water photographer
semi profesional spearfisherman

deepsea

any particular places you know for giltheads, maybe around the south of the island?  I used to catch giltheads at Kalkara creek; those were the days...

ciappinu

Have you tried in the St. Paul's Bay fish farms? There are many!
Seabrave 14 e-Tec 50hp

placebo

deep sea - try Birzebbuga port. Be quick as they already started throwing nets now that summer has ended and swimmers are no more frequenting shores.

I managed some nice giltheads in good numbers over the past few weeks.

Last weekend I landed one nearing the 1kg :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(
the fishing gods might have something for me tomorrow I'll be fishing

placebo

Simon, the running ledger is great, sometimes I also use a feeder made of mesh chicken wire instead of lead weight.

I found the running float also interesting for Giltheads especially when fishing shallow waters (not more than 5 mtrs) you will be amazed at how the float moves when the giltheads have the bait in their mouth, especially when using starlights at night.
the fishing gods might have something for me tomorrow I'll be fishing

deepsea

thanks guyz for the info....will try Birzebbugia....I had good landings of Gilthead using running float w/feeder and "ckal" as bait.  Bilhaqq - Excellent forum. Keep it up.....