• Welcome to Malta Fishing Forum.

MFF Alongi Competition - Notice of intent to participate

Started by The_Gaffer, April 28, 2009, 12:32:20 CET

Previous topic - Next topic

skip

I used around 65 litres from Beachaven, to Marfa out to where 2nd/3rd ridge intersects, all the way down abeam with Filfla, across to first ridge and up cutting across to Fomm ir rih to lose some jigs......then back to Beachaven in pretty rough weather causing me to use more fuel.

I'm still super impressed with the consumption on that Suzuki 140 Bryan.

robby017

Its all about weight distribution, apparently I make a good counter balance at the back! :D what do you think Bryan? Lol
Scorpion 14.5 feet, Suzuki 60hp & Suzuki 6hp Aux.

Authorised & Licenced Fish Population Controller

Born to Fish, Forced to Work

Moonwalker

We used around 70lts too. Looks like trolling at 6.5knt is not the ideal revving for a suzuki DF90. The VHF was good company especially the music coming from the sound machine - yellow boat :)
Petecraft 20 - twin Mariner 150HP EFI

skip

Quote from: BIKRI on July 06, 2009, 06:40:34 CET
People, I would like to point out that skip seemed very reluctant of organising this sort of event again, however at 4 am he had already changed his mind as he saw all the north competitors at the jetty. Reading Skip's post I realised that not only he made up his mind, but he is already thinking of new rules for 2010 alungi competition. Skip, think seriously for this year to have a jigging competition organised, this might be great fun. Thanks again.

What annoyed me was all the moaning about the weather.....I'm sorry guys but given the prevailing wind conditions in Malta, getting a Force 2 just touching a 3 day on the West coast 6-12nm out is becoming very rare. Safety has nothing to do with it unless it's a Force 4 touching a 5, and last time I checked comfort wasn't associated with fishing....makes us sound more like a bunch of panzies than die hard fishing guys. The rules will be changed next year in that we will only postone on a forecast showing 14 knots+

When the wind picks up you have to adjust what you do, slow down, stay on the 1st ridge and not go out to the 2nd or 3rd if you're worried that the weather may get worse, wear your life jackets etc etc. It's the skipper who makes the journey safe by taking the necessary precautions....I can be very unsafe in zero wind and flat calm seas if I want to be.

No it's not nice fishing in a swell which is what the wind tends to do to the west coast, I will be the first to admit that, but the hassle of having to postpone a competition and all the associated things (Judges, people checking the boats etc) is one hell of an overhead. I must have made 40 phone calls and sent god knows how many SMS's not to account for the amount of time it took.

We are never going to please everyone and perhaps that was my mistake for trying to do so. We lost our camera man by shifting to Sunday because he had other commitments, which in hindsight maybe wasn't a bad thing with our catches.

I didn't want to do it on Sunday because it was my father's 77th birthday, he isn't in particularily good health and things were organised in terms of lunch, but I had to shift everything. The 5th was also a day usually used by the Interclubs weather permitting, although this year they didn't do it.

We'll bring the competition date forward to last weekend of May or first weekend of June and monitor fish activity and weather accordingly....issa if your boat isn't ready in time you will have a good reason to get it done early!

A jigging competition is interesting and ideal for the winter months.....Nov - Jan when there are some nice fish around. Yes it means launching by trailer for most of us but it's do-able....not sure if this year but we'll see.

ramio

That's it then.....problem solved. The alungi didn't like "yellow's" choice of music and dived deep!!
Can't wait to go fishing

Moonwalker

I would be in for a jigging competition - I need some practice though :)
Petecraft 20 - twin Mariner 150HP EFI

robby017

i'll be in for the jigging too!!! hopefully with my own boat this time!
Scorpion 14.5 feet, Suzuki 60hp & Suzuki 6hp Aux.

Authorised & Licenced Fish Population Controller

Born to Fish, Forced to Work

LapsiBoy

fin

Dear All,

i would like first to thank all, being the organisers, the participants, the judges, the catchers and the releaser for this very well run tournament.

As i was given the responsibilty to ensure all safety at sea was followed accordingly, prior (as a safety brief to skippers), during (leaving dock and making way to the area of interest) and now post (overview of safety points).

I must say that all vessels conducted their trips in a very diligent manner and best to say is that all returned safe and sound with no issues created or faced with. For that i say we now have a 100% safety record.

As i am always making sure that we can avoid any aviodable future incidents in future tournaments i had to point out to skip one very important item missing on a number of boats.

I will not quote here the page and paragraph and rule and regulation on the book (however if you pm i will gladly do).

In very breif there may be a misconception about the number or positioning of navigation lights.

First of all i noticed alot of boats not having a stern light on their navigational lights. If a boat has sidelights on, then there MUST be a stern light too. Also if one has a white all round light signifying a "motor vessel making way through the water" there MUST be also a white stern light visible by 130 degrees from the rear too. Now if some boat manufacturers say its not required because of outboards for example, please not that this is very incorrect. All vessels if showing side lights must have a stern light. The other option is not to have any navigational lights at all but ONE MUST have an all round white light as a minimum.

Apart from that, well done to all and hope to see another tournament sooner rather than later

FIN
Lets put MALTA on the map with our fishing knowledge.

benri

According to MMA safety at sea guide, if less than 12m, you do not need a stern light, just an all round white with port and startboard.

Rule 23: Power-driven vessels underway

Vessels less than 50 metres in length should display:
1. A white light at the mast-head.
2. A red port light and green starboard light.
3. A white stern light.

Vessels less than 12 metres in length need only display:
1. An all-round white light.
2. Red port and green starboard side-lights.
I'd rather be fishing.....

ed2112

it would be incorrect to display an all round white light and also a stern light cos you would effectively end up with 'two stern lights'

if the boat is over twelve meters you should have a separate 'stern' and 'forward looking masthead' light.

if boat is under 12 meters then these two can be combied into an all round white light

besides these you would need the green and red side lights.

it is not an option to have no lights at all unless the boat is less than 7meters in lenght and speed does not exceed 7 knots. then you can display just an all round white light.

above is valid for power driven vessels........

ed

skip

Thanks for the clarification Ed, and does makes sense in that you're supposed to have the white running light.

fishmaniac

Hi all.

I was out there near filfla too on Sunday and didn't catch anything like most of the other boats. I did get my lines horribly tangled at one point. That's what you get for trying to fish 3 lines solo I guess. I didn't take part in the competition but certainly hope to next time round. It sounds like a lot of fun.....particularly on the VHF listening to all the comments. Its also a consolation knowing that its not only you who isnt catching anything!

Kaptan Jr

Katpan 15ft, Cuddy cabin and powered with twin 50hp TLDI Tohatsu outboard engines

fin

I am glad i triggered someone quoting rule 23.

As you can see we are all now the wiser.

Hence next..  those vessels in the next raduno or competition out to be at night, let us see the all round white light with sides or 3 position nav lights ;)

FIN

Lets put MALTA on the map with our fishing knowledge.