• Welcome to Malta Fishing Forum.

night fishing

Started by Simon G, June 01, 2006, 12:10:34 CET

Previous topic - Next topic

Simon G

hey guys so the nights are getting warmer and the big ones are moving closer so lets go night fishing
what to look for if you are going for bream (sargi) these are found all over but tend to group around structures like rocks drop offs reefs etc etc. 
my prefered fishing technique is running ledger using bivalves or rag worm
the other technique i like using is a (bombarda) which is a slow sinking plastic weight with this i also get saddled bream

does anyone have any other method for fishing at night i have seen people using starlights on the line !!!!!

Simon G
maxxon 420 with 30hp tohatsu
profesional aquarist and under water photographer
semi profesional spearfisherman

placebo

i love to use hand poles for sargi. This is an old maltese night fishing method.

Just a pole rod with 0.20 - 0.22mm line (Ayaka) no floats at all just a hook on the end and some small splitshots (1gm) to keep the bait sinking. When fishing this method it is impoortant to change places every 30mins.

It is also a must that you groundbait the area prior to start fishing. I prefer some sardines with bread for groundbait.

You will surely feel the fish on your rod when you get the bite. Search for good places like reef drop offs.

and......good luck.....some days I landed 30 sargi in a night....but...those were some days

it's been a long time since the last time I tried this method but friends of mine still go and have some fun
the fishing gods might have something for me tomorrow I'll be fishing

The Angler

I used to practice night fishing a lot. What placebo is mentioning is really good. Last month we went to practice some very crude beachcasting at Ramla Bay, GOZO. Apart from wine and food we caught some fair fish. This is a sport that is mostly practiced on big sandy beaches mainly in Italy, Croatia, Ireland etc. It is mainly practiced during the night and the main aspect of it is that you need to use shock leaders in order to achieve long distance casts. We are still amateurs in the field but this is limited to the sandy beached available.

Simon G

hi guys
beach casting is picking up quite well in fact some of my friends are avid beach fisherman
We found out that the best time to go is after a storm or on a windy day our catches vaired from spnott (bass) to griebel (meagre) and quite a few Sargi with the occasional sting ray (Boll) and even an electric ray (That kept zapping us when ever we tried to remove the hook)ha ha ouch !!!!
one of our favorite places is armier bay in winter and golden bay in summer

Good luck guys
maxxon 420 with 30hp tohatsu
profesional aquarist and under water photographer
semi profesional spearfisherman