• Welcome to Malta Fishing Forum.
Main Menu

MFF Club/Association

Started by The_Gaffer, April 27, 2011, 08:51:24 CET

Previous topic - Next topic

robby017

Scorpion 14.5 feet, Suzuki 60hp & Suzuki 6hp Aux.

Authorised & Licenced Fish Population Controller

Born to Fish, Forced to Work

caldaland

lazyfisherman

Thanks to Gaffer, skip and any others involved in this initiative  for taking up all this work for the benefit of MFF members and the recreational fishing community in general. It is very much appreciated.

baghira

Let me ask one stupid question.

Why should people enrol in this new organization??????
What will they benefit from?????

It's not me asking. and You know it.. but people usually stay by the side, and contribute only if they need something.....
Ear Pain aaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

The_Gaffer

Actually its a very good question.  

The MFF as it stands, is not an official body.  The MFF was set up as an online fishing community, bringing recreational fishermen together online to discuss, share and help each other out.  There are a number of reasons why we need to set up this new association:
1. Recognition.  The MFF represents the overall online community of recreational fishermen.  We need to formalise that recognition.  We are nearly 2000 members here, but we are not officilayy recognised as an organisation.

2.  Legislation.  We know for a fact that the framework for new legislation which will govern all the activities of recreational fishermen is currently being discussed.  The MFF association would ensure representation of our views concerning recreational fishing with the competent authorities.

3. Affiliation.  As things stand today, although we have forged an excellent relationship with the Federation, we are not recognised as an organisation.  The MFF needs to be affiliated as an association with the authority as an NGO, with its own statute, functioning committee, and membership.  Once we have our own association, the next step would be to join the Federation and have 2 members of the association representing the MFF on the Federation committee.  Step after that would be to join the Kunsill Malti Ghall-Isport.  The MFF association would then be elligible for funds both from the kunsill Malti Ghall-Isport and the EU sports protocol to organise tournaments, seminars, subsidies to participate in international tounaments, seminars and workshops, ect. The association would also be allocated space for meetings ect at the Cottonera sports complex.

Beneteau Antares 9.80 - Powered by twin Volvo Penta D4 225HP
     _\____
       /___ \
___ /_____\_______
|_______________/

Gogo

Dear baghira,
It is this general attitude you described which destroys all the past and present achievements  so painfully gained in bygone years  so jeopardizing also the future.  Years back unless there were a group of persons who persisted to save amateur fishing in Malta the recreational (sport) category MFC would never have existed. Yes too many people benefit from a few. Unfortunately that is how things go and to add insult to injury those few are also critized and insulted by those many that never contribute to the cause.
It was those pioneers that formed local associations ( these count in hundreds per association)and then joined together while preserving their own identity into a National Group 'The Federation of amateur fisherman'. The Federation committee is formed from two members of each Association/Club who represent all their members.

As secretary of the Federation I assure you that what The Gaffer said is the plain truth and as things are evolving ,unless we all amateur fisherman rally together while keeping our differences, the future may be very gloomy.

MFF as Association/club can opt not to join the Federation, free to do so. However what about the representation on the fisheries Board?   Affiliation within the Federation means joining the Kunsill Malti Ghall-isport with all its benefits and being recognized by all local Authorities. Through Federation membership local clubs can ,apart from what The Gaffer righty said, apply for a premesis.

Do help to form a strong committee, I met many of your organizers and I am sure that they are more than competent to launch a strong and healthy Association.

shanook

I agree with the association but for the federation secretary to tell me that we have made progress by being granted the MFC is close to an insult to me (this is my point of view only).
Let me put my point forward. We had PTF (part time fisherman) we used to pay less for registration but we were obliged to pay for and carry VHF ( I agree and it should be a law that all boats have a VHF whether portable of fixed). There were some who took fish to the Valletta (pixkerija) to sell, others kept for themselves and friends. We did not have an obligation to bring in an amount of fish to the vendor. We could fish in the Maltese territorial waters (25 miles) and although there was a law to have Valletta registered they never bothered us. Not a lot of people fished more than 7 miles. then Alungi came along and smaller boats were venturing out.
We joined EU and we started the new regulations part by EU and most by Local authority.
1. All PTF boats were moved some were privileged and were given MFB, the rest MFC
2. MFB had to bring in an amount of fish approximately 750 Euro worth of fish every third year. MFC were practically stripped of everything and reduced to an S
3. If one does not bring in the allotted Price in fish will forfeit the MFB and to get it back has to pay 1000 Euro.
4. Any boat whether it ventures out, of the now 12 miles limit has to have a Valletta registry if it is over 6mtr. Come again so if I want to stay close to shore and do a bit of fishing because one has a 6mtr boat one has to pay double (Mf? and Valletta).
5. We are supposed to preserve fish but with the decision to get 750 euro worth of fish most of MFB overfish and use Pariti.
6. We were told at a meeting in B'Bugia that we were lucky that the federation managed to let MFC use rods to fish (i consider that primitive).
7. if you are MFB registered u cannopt change the engine for a bigger one???
8. If an MFB and you have ONE inboard engine you cannot add an auxiliary outboard.(hear hear for safety).
These are the achievements(?!?!) that we obtained when we had this change over.
I am being an old sore by bringing these up but they are facts. I want to look forward and maybe get something decent for the amateur fisherman who spends thousands or Euros on this hobby, I know its close to impossible as monies involved are way too large and can move mountains, OH by the way these monies do not belong to the amateur fisherman.

shanook

Nothing personal GOGO when we meet u will remember me LOL. We argued enough at B,Bugia,  you know my blood boils quick and I only do it because I have my hobby at heart or used to at least, because I am close to selling everything and forget fishing..........

mulett75

PLEASE NOTE  THAT AN ASSOCIATION IS FORMED WITH A NUMBER OF CLUBS. ONE CLUB ALONE CANNOT BE CALLED AN ASSOCIATION.

baghira

Dear gogo, beside the fact that shanook might have raised up (I cannot comment since that it did not involve myself), no word can desribe it better then you did...

May it all go as planned, and may we have the support from all to be one big and strong unity.
Ear Pain aaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

The_Gaffer

Quote from: mulett75 on April 28, 2011, 16:27:14 CET
PLEASE NOTE  THAT AN ASSOCIATION IS FORMED WITH A NUMBER OF CLUBS. ONE CLUB ALONE CANNOT BE CALLED AN ASSOCIATION.

You're right.  However the notion of an association was 1st suggested since technically, since the forum has a wide representation of fishermen who practice from land, sea or underwater, the idea was to form 3 committees and have the MFF association.  Although now we're considering 1 club, by default we kept referring to it as an association.
     _\____
       /___ \
___ /_____\_______
|_______________/

The_Gaffer

@Shanook: For clarity's sake, there are a few points I need to highlight.  When we switched from PTF to MFB, it was according to vessel size that determined the cost of fish to declare as sold.  E.g. my boat, over 8mtrs, was supposed to bring in Lm1000 every year, not Euros!.  It was only a consession for the 1st 3 years that you could declare Lm1000 over a period of 3 years.  from then on, it had to be every year!!!.  Finally, I surrendered my MFB permit to an MFC one.

In the future, all vessels, even the small ones that hug the coastline for gharajjes and serran, no matter what legislation will continue to be allowed to do so.  At least that's what we were told.  The trouble in Malta is that for some unknown reason, we always aim to be holier than the Pope, no matter what.  

I am not aware of most of the conditons you mentioned, but they are really pathetic.  It is for this reason too that we need to have our own club, duely recognised and affiliated. There are too many interests at stake to allow this opportunity to slip by.
     _\____
       /___ \
___ /_____\_______
|_______________/

bigboy

Well said shanook :)

Before you opted to have your boat registered as S, PTF or F.

Now you can only register as S or MFC !!!!!

What about someone like me who would like to have an mfb permit on my boat ???? Why am i not allowed to get this permit ??? What a disgrace of a country !!!!

Im sorry guys for being so negative but thats my point of view towards the fisheries Department.

The only guys who get an MFB or MFA are those close to the ministers (eps in elections!!!!!) or else who have third parties working with fisheries and get them the licence !!!

placebo

just note that for land fishing there is already a federation well known with both KMS and also Malta Olympic Commitee. This year 2 teams from Malta will be competing in world championships of fishing in Toscana. If you try and organise well you can also take part in Big Game and other disciplines

for more information about the world fishing championships visit the webpage www.sfwc2011.it

there are many disciplines in which our country can take part and you must work towards that aim like we're doing with land fishing.

anyway ... if any good guy or company wants to help the national team by sponsoring uniforms and kits he can have his logo printed on our shirts and kits
the fishing gods might have something for me tomorrow I'll be fishing

suffrun

As I see it, two issues are being discussed simultaneously,
1. the issue of MFC/MFP
2. The MFF becoming an official club/association.

I read with great interest the issues that shanook mentioned and was amazed when he mentioned,for example, the issue of not having an auxillary engine!

I believe that strength is in numbers and as we stand now, we have no say whatsoever, since we are not recognised as an official entity. So, as I see it, it would be of great benefit if we do become a club/association and in doing so we can tackle all sorts of issues which pertain to our hobby with the relevant authorities.