• Welcome to Malta Fishing Forum.

Comments on Fish Found in Malta - Maltese/English Names Post

Started by gabaj, May 02, 2008, 16:25:03 CET

Previous topic - Next topic

gabaj

This is becoming very interesting. I did not know that so many of these fish existed. Keep it up.
Is the Bekkacca Tal-bahar common or not since I never saw one before.

ramio

Well done. Good info and excellent pictures. Really big contribution to an already wonderful forum
Can't wait to go fishing

suffrun

fantastic photos, and the colours are brillant. have you ever thought making a photo reference of local fish?

ramio

Arti2 I think what saffrun means is that you pablish the photos in a book as reference. They are magnificent. We see fish that we catch, but nothing compared with their beuthy in their natural habitat. well done.
Can't wait to go fishing

suffrun

Ramio's idea is good, but what I meant was that there would be a section in the forum dedicated to identification of local fish including both english and maltese names and additional information like for example kind of habitat, scientific name etc and  accompanying photos. I believe that something like this would be a great source of reference.

ramio

A dedicated section as reference is a bomba. It can be updated constantly and would give every one reference to the fish. Skip what you think of this brilliant idea? They are there already, is it possible to specify a corner for this porpose?
Can't wait to go fishing

Arti2

Their Maltese, English and Scientific (Latin) Names are already there! What can be done but it requires much more time is to add some more specific information on the most common fish we catch or encounter in our sea, making more specification on coastal fish.
Maltese to English Names visit www.renotonna.yolasite.com

suffrun

you are right arti2!  I found out that last night :-[ . Keep posting those nice photos.

placebo

wow! an endless, amazing type of fish!

nice project my friend!
the fishing gods might have something for me tomorrow I'll be fishing

Arti2

Thanks. But there is still to come!

I finished a good part of fish found in Malta or better maltese waters. I would like some feedback on the topic mentioned. If I am mistaken on any fish please feel free to correct me and i'll correct the related post. Also I intend to do the same with some fish that although they are present in our waters they don't have a specific maltese name.

So if you have any comments post them here.
Maltese to English Names visit www.renotonna.yolasite.com

Granitu

prosit arti e bdw xi haga ta veru li ghamilt.....

ftit scientific knowledge trid issa u kif tistada l huta...... imbad din il parti tkun riservata ghal membri avvanzati biss( igifieri li jew premium members jew inkella contibutors b sehem kbir fil forum) opinjoni skip din, imma nahseb li taghmel sens ghax forums ohra hekk jahdmu
Good season so far.....

suffrun

well done arti2!
I agree with granitu about including fishing methods etc, but I have my reservations about keeping this project accessible to premium members/contributors. I think that in doing so all this work would go to waste, and that is a pity!

ramio

The good thing about selected members is that you encourage more participation, but I tend to agree with suffrun that probably it will be accesible to a very few.

What you are doing Arti2 is a treasure chest of information. Priceless to who really shows interest in the sport, well done again and thanks.
Can't wait to go fishing

fishfinder

Hello guys,

I think that with all the info you're putting together you should consider to issue a real book on fishes cause as far as I know in Malta we have only books where fish are describes in drawings and there are no real photos.

I have a lot of books and I've got also with some pictures but they only have basic fish and nothing special.

It's a fantastic job what you're doing. keep it up
Kaptan Leisure with Suzuki DF115 4 stroke