• Welcome to Malta Fishing Forum.

octopus trap.

Started by tutu, October 09, 2008, 07:53:11 CET

Previous topic - Next topic

tutu

Does someone knows how to mke n octopus trp, the ones that are left for 3-5 days in the sea?

Lamacca

I hope this is what you are loking for :

Since ancient times non laquered terracotta vases have been the trap of choice to catch  Octopus.

here is an image of one used in tunisia but pretty much everywere they were quite similar:

Now on Pianeta mare i saw an italian using two terracotta plant pots one slightly smaller than the other and attaching them together from the open side with cement.

Than saw off the end of the small pot with a saw.

Tie to a weight so that it does not roll with the current and it's ready.

Two other things

The octopus will go in the trap by himself cause he will choose it as it's current lair . It will not leave the trap even when being hauled up as he will feel secure in it . It will feel so secure it's actually a problem getting it out ( pour some sweet water through the small hole on the big pot and it will jump out )

5 days i think that is a lot isn't like 1 day enough ?
13 Foot Seastar 400 (bahri kind of)
15hp Suzuki
3.5hp Seagull 40+ Longshaft  (Yes it works , yes it leaks oil)
3.0hp Seagull 40  Longshaft 60 years and it's my best one !
1.5hp Seagull 40- extra short shaft
5 hp Gutbrod Short shaft Air cooled.

fishfinder

I fully agree with you Lamacca. If you check them every 5 days they will surely notice you and steal them. You have to check them more often.
Kaptan Leisure with Suzuki DF115 4 stroke

tutu

bigboy

We never found pots good. Last year we laid 200 of them and never found a single octopus. Best pots i find are those made of wire. The best shape is rectangle so it does not roll over the bottom

shanook

i used to lay large tomato paste cans squashed in front to make the hole like a slit and add a piece of stone for weight. I always caught in those. but the wire cage is good as it also attracts eels as well.

Perla 165

Any one use the traps, with d material of " wind breaker" its  a plasitc, they are better then the chicken wire!??! and what is d live time of this traps?
Perla 165 with Toyota 2.2 Litre = 70 bhp.

Frejgatina 13' with acme petrol/pitrolju 10hp.

Ghazel u Huw, Igdem u kuwl !!

Tatanka

The best ones I have seen are the ones made out of wire same as Big boy said as you can also get fish in there. I remember 1 year ago we had 6 of them & we always found 2 to 3 and also Awrat we used to find in them.
Galia 440 outboard 40 Tohatsu

Perla 165

Perla 165 with Toyota 2.2 Litre = 70 bhp.

Frejgatina 13' with acme petrol/pitrolju 10hp.

Ghazel u Huw, Igdem u kuwl !!

charlie

Ithink vases and pots are better so we divers can take the octopus out of them more easily.JOKING ;D ;D ;D

bigboy

looooll...... Hazin charlie ax hemm niggildu :P

charlie

I was only joking bigboy in all my years of diving I swear (nahlef) that I never touched an octopus from a trap

bigboy

So was i my friend hehe. Where we lay our traps not even those with oxeygen cylinders are able to go.

charlie

Good luck then mate hope you will find your traps full so you can have anice time

ruman

[Please translate} bigboy skond imma. meta jkunu tondi in nassi tajbien ghal go lalka. il kwadri ghal gol vajriet man.

It depends Bigboy, the round ones are good when placed in the tall weeds (posidonia), the square ones are good elsewhere.  (ramio)