• Welcome to Malta Fishing Forum.

Need help for choosing the proper outboard engine..............

Started by Kaptan Jr, October 21, 2008, 09:39:38 CET

Previous topic - Next topic

Kaptan Jr

Hi guys I am very confused in buying my new outboard engine. I am changing my outboard from a 85hp  2 stroke into a 90hp 4 stroke engine and I would like to hear from you which outboards do you find best for trolling and fuel consumption. I am very familiar to agents and for me they are all the same everyone one of them tell that their product is the best!!!!!!!! So i would like to hear your opinion

Thanks Kaptan Jr
Katpan 15ft, Cuddy cabin and powered with twin 50hp TLDI Tohatsu outboard engines

Gazzetta

Kaptan Jr

Thanks chris But what type optimax or EFI???? which is the most suitable for fishing???
Katpan 15ft, Cuddy cabin and powered with twin 50hp TLDI Tohatsu outboard engines

Gazzetta

skip

Kaptan Jr, I'm not sure whther to recommend the direct injection range for trolling, be it from Mercury, Mariner, Tohatsu etc or even Evinrude ETEC, these are all direct injection engines based on a 2 stroke block, and we need more data compiled from owners to see how they manage long term for extended periods of trolling at 1500rpm's or so, including data on oil usage, fuel usage, noise and vibrations etc.

I would maybe be inclined to stick with 4 strokes if you can afford the purchase price and the weight and then look for something like Suzuki (not sure now whether from Zarb stores or Mecca as it's not clear what's going on there), or a Yamaha 4 stroke. Both these manufacturers seem to be at the top of their game in the 4 stroke market. Not many people are running Mercury/Mariner four strokes. I'm not a fan of the Honda 4 strokes either, again from a perspective of market share and number of users worldwide.

4 strokes are still appear to be the quietest and happiest engines for trolling, but if I had to choose a 2 stroke direct engine due to weight savings and budget issues, I would like to try the ETEC, so that I could compare it (High pressure direct injection), with my Tohatsu TLDI (low pressure direct injection) engine.

From what I've read and what Gottie has told me, his ETEC seems to run very happily at trolling speeds without issues, so if you really want to go down a 2 stroke DI route, look that way and hassle RLR on the price, or give Nichol at Mecca a call and see what TLDI's he has.

I still haven't passed judgement on my Tohatsu 90 TLDI (same technology as the Optimax - low pressure direct injection from Orbital), whilst the engine is great in general, I need to sort out a small issue on mine in order to provide an accurate picture, because my ignition wiring loom has a broken retaining clip within the engine which I think is making an intermittent contact that could be accounting for my problem of intermittent hesitation between 1500-2000rp,. Mecca have already gotten the replacement part in to stock under warranty, I just haven't had the time to pass by to sort it out.

Once that is done and I get the boat back out for a test will be able to give better advice.

Hope this helps a bit, it's not easy to pass judgement on any engine or type until you've lived with it for a while and tried it out for a good period of time. I realised that in places I have been unfair on my engine and quick to pass judgement so I have edited things to be fair to the engine! Will revert back with updates once the part is changed

Kaptan Jr

Thanks very much skip because suzuki and tohatsu are 2 of my favourite outboards but I think the new model of suzuki is brilliant. I think I'd better go for a 4 stroke engine as you said

shanook

Kaptan JR i know u like speed but for sure u like to go fishing as well so it has to be a compromise between the two.
regarding agents i would prefer one that earns his living with selling outboards only.
If a two stroke i would go for Etech
if its a 4 stroke i would go for Suzuki. the yamaha is way to expensive and the suzuki is in the same class anyway.
So in my opinion its a matter of choice they are both smooth and silent and u can troll with both.
Out of holeshot the Etech is faster.
with etech u have to buy oil and thats not cheap.
So my 3cents is a choice between Etech and Suzuki
Your Call mate

Kaptan Jr

Thanks shanook I don't know nothing about etech technology. They are still 2 stroke??? And do u think are good for trolling or laying long lines???? Is there a problem with slow speed??

gurbell

in 90 suzuki adom ma waslux u qedin 3 ,400 maltin man ghax ordnajt one jien

ganni

forget the etec and any other 2 stroke outbord for slow trolling and long lines.  go for a 4 stroke, yamaha and suzuki seem to be the bst at the moment. i wld go definitely for a yamaha but suzuki also seem very reliable and economic, in italy suzuki 4 stroke outbords are very used, they are the most by way the most abundant, even 300hp outboards, i've seen boats with 3 of them. this is for thier low price compared to yamaha, however the latter for me are above all.

but its up to you mate, its always gd to have many opinions
SHIMANO---Tomorrow's tackle today

skip

Yamaha used to be king, but not anymore. They still have the name and strong brand image, but I don't think they are as good as they used to be. The new suzuki 90hp has been very well reviewed and the price is competitive, plus Suzuki's tend to have the largest displacement of the engines.

Like Ganni said, it's a matter of opinion, I'm not familiar with Gasan's service reputation on Yamaha's, but I've heard only good things about the guy who works for Dominic at Zarb

benri

I recently bought a 140hp 4 stroke suzuki from zarb. I never had a 4 stroke before so I cannot compare a like with like but, when I compare to a 2 stroke Johnson 90 that was quite modern (2001), all I can say is it's still fast, ECONOMIC, SILENT and you can leave it at any speed starting from practically stationary upwards without any problems. The only drawback is that somtimes you have to look at the rev. counter to confirm it's still started... :-)
So far, and all I can say is so far, the after sales service from Zarb (Dominic) was impeccable!
I'd rather be fishing.....

Kaptan Jr

LapsiBoy

I dont know But i would deffinitaley go with mariner mate ;) Reliable and serius enginuity ! there great engines

fishfinder

Hello Kaptan JR.

you know my opinion  ;D go for Suzuki. And the new models are much better in economy and lighter too.
Kaptan Leisure with Suzuki DF115 4 stroke