• Welcome to Malta Fishing Forum.

This weekend's bad weather

Started by ramio, November 24, 2008, 19:07:12 CET

Previous topic - Next topic

ramio

Has any member experienced anything worth sharing during this weekend's bad weather?

I spent most of the weekend in touch with shanook, keeping an eye on his boat in Bugibba. Although we thought it was safe there sheltered by Xemxija from the N/W wind, the wind was so strong that the waves created within St Paul's bay did give some trouble.

In fact one of the two mooring ropes eventually gave. A word of warning to all boat owners, do not trust the snap on S/S snaps in heavy weather. Hopefully we'll post a picture of the one that gave in on Shanook.

I'll let my Dear friend describe his heroic act to save the boat. I had no option but to stay on land supervising his safety.
Can't wait to go fishing

EmicMalta

guys, if there are problems that I can come for helping (always considering if I can swim), let me know. My mob is 99593775. Send me an sms and as soon as I see it I ll phone back

sirena

YES infact  the first goat to give up was of my cousin, i found it saturday  arround 5 am ,it was very very very diffucult to manage since it was floating freely, at the end all went good . i live in st paul's bay should any one ever  need any help do not hesitate to get in touch.

kevin  and my mobile no is 99858522
always want to fish.... why.... cos fun ux!!!

ramio

Thanks EmicMalta and sirena. I'm from St paul's as well so in an emergency I'm game as well. Mob: 7970 2496

mario
Can't wait to go fishing

shanook

Since Ramio brought it up, i have to let u guys know what happened Sunday morning. Sorry no pics or video ( i wish i did as I wont ever repeat it). Those who saw the waves coming in on Sunday morning have a slight idea what it was like. Well here goes:

Sunday morning around 7.30am I get a call from Ramio saying that Shanook was only hanging on with one rope (the weak one of the two I had). So i rushed to Bugibba to analyse my opions:

1: go out with the dingy and secure another rope:
   No where safe to launch the dingy. sea too rough to stay on dinghy and secure rope, waves were to fast and high.

2: reach the boat and go on and drive to Mistra where the sea is sheltered from the wind and waves.
  Nope there was no way i could get onto the boat as it had the cover and i wouldnt be able to get a handhold.

3: Watch the boat and hope the second rope holds:
  Nope too nerve wrecking to watch shanook being broken to pieces

4: swim to the boat and secure a second mooring rope:
  Feasible but a bit dangerous (a bit u crazy man......)

Well i geared up with a skin suit (provided by ramio), a safety jacket (provided by ramio) a pair of flippers and snorkels (provided by ramio {how did u guess}).

I carried a rope with a S/S snap. Sign of the cross a second thought and I was in the water. Had my back to the waves and started to swim with ramio giving me directions where the boat was. I was going too fast and got a couple of waves where i swallowed some water so i slowed down and commenced with a steady slower pace. I got to the boat and heard the rope creaking with the strain. I looped the rope round a chain link (imagine trying to dive with a life jacket on. WOW is that a near impossibility but i managed to reach about 2 feet under and got the rope thru). I swam to the back of the boat and rested a bit holding onto the baiting platform sheltered from the waves by the boat. I let go and started swimming back to shore i took the direction of the small slipway and made it safely. To tell u that my heart was pounding is an understatement. The sea was not very cold, as otherwise i would have been in trouble.  we then went to the garage changed and went to check out Ramio's boat in Birzebbugia, it was just floating there looking calm and just swaying with the currents. The sea was like a mirror there, good thing as I was exhausted.

The S/S snap just straightened out that is the reason why the strong rope was not there. Oh yes the rope held so I took the risk for nothing. I enjoyed it and it was a real rush to swim in those conditions but i wouldnt recommend it to the weak of heart. Mignun, yep I will never do it again. Oh by the way I took the boat up.

Ramio had a stroke laughing when he told me to strap the life jacket round the crotch but the strap wasnt long enough.
Ramio will have to take pics of the snap as I dont have the still camera at the moment.
OH by the way I am not available if someone wants me to swim to his boat in rough weather eh:  THIS IS NOT AN ADVERT:

shanook

Thanks to all offering to  help MFF memebrs.  my mob is 79881114 and I will gladly help anyone who needs it. Anthony

ramio

Beleave me guys, we wern't laughing at that time. My mind was back at ease only when Anthony got back on land. Glad that was over and all went well.
Can't wait to go fishing

redbus9

Hi shanook,as regards trying to dive with a lifejacket on,I,ve done a few sea survival courses as part of my last employment,and on one of them the instructor put a prize of ?100 if anyone could pick a small weight of the bottom in 10ft of water with a life jacket on.we all failed,i don,t think anyone could do it.
If you can't eat it don't kill it.

fishfinder

Shanook if I could be of any help just call me on 99451683. Yes the sea is getting often rough and this week I've decided that on this coming weekend I will get the boat up, So Game over for this year ;-/
Kaptan Leisure with Suzuki DF115 4 stroke

ramio

Can't wait to go fishing

Tatanka

Just out of curiosity what size of boat do you have shanook? Reason asking is due that these should have a SWL ( Safe working load ) rating. So it all depends on the weight & size of the boat when you buy these kind of items rather spend more & make sure you buy the genuine gear which should also be acompanied with a certificate of material strength etc... I work in the offshore industry in the North sea and these snap on hooks are in the process of being condemed due to alot of people keep forgetting the SWL of these snap on hooks & keep failing.
Galia 440 outboard 40 Tohatsu

shanook

I bought it from a chandler and he said it was good for an 18' boat with a weight of 1.5/1.75tons. I will never use one of these but the ones with the screw down lock. That's for the summer in winter rather use a shackle. Takes longer to put on and release but its safer for sure.