• Welcome to Malta Fishing Forum.

Unsuccessfull night for Klamari

Started by The_Gaffer, November 27, 2008, 12:45:32 CET

Previous topic - Next topic

The_Gaffer

Guys, sometimes I know this happens...but I need to know why.  Yesterday was out jigging for Klamari.  Had been waiting all week for that weather break, and it finally arrived yesterday.  Was out of port by 4.00pm, and off to my usual spot, using my usual rig.  All around me there were several (about 40) boats all jigging for klamari.  Everybody caught, I know, I saw them hauling in myself :-\ :-\ except...yeah, you guessed right, ME :'(
As I said, I was using the same gear I always use, with the difference that I was using a new sinker (comba), which was abit bright.  As you know, Lead takes on that dark greyish colour after some time in the sea.  Other then that, I had the same squid jigs, same line (Pline floroclear) bought from Mark tal-Fishing Frenzy.  As usual, the Mrs back home kept asking me any luck, and myself answering back, somewhat annoyed Noooo.....At one point, I think it was around 7.30pm, I casually asked the Mrs whats for dinner, and she replied sarcastically, KLAMARI!!!!.. ;D ;D...had a good mind to tell her what I really thought of her dry joke.  By 8.00pm, still nothing, and somewhat dismayed, packed up and headed for port.  Never before have I experienced an empty day for Klamari.
I know there are some Squid gurus here, so would appreciate some help in what might have gone wrong. 
Beneteau Antares 9.80 - Powered by twin Volvo Penta D4 225HP
     _\____
       /___ \
___ /_____\_______
|_______________/

Buddhagrass

I can feel you Gaffer ... lately I've been going every single day spinning from land and not even a "messa"  :). Your scenario is worst than mine cause you witnessed people catching them around you ...... myself I witnessed no one catching any. I chatted with a lot of fisherman and they don't know what the hell happened this year. Some tell you the sea is still warm ... some tell you squids come in alternate years where last year it was very good so this year will be bad ... some fisherman told me barracudas are the problem. Everyone has his own opinion. Myself ... well ... I'll just keep spinning every night until some squids decide to approach land  :). I know some people over here caught some but ....... there is still a visible squid problem compared with previous years. Tghid il-budget ?  ;D
If you ain't living on the edge, your taking too much bloody space

Visit my Photo Sets @ http://www.flickr.com/photos/buddhagrass

shanook

Gaffer, The only thing that comes in my mind is a change of lure. There a different reasons for the lure to be completely neglected by Klamari. If it was stored in a damp place and it had some milddew on it. it could have been contaminated even if not on direct contact but by being close to certain fumes. I always carry a brand new lure with me if If I dont catch with the old one I hook up a brand new one and see what happens.Good luck for next time Joe, this is between us: take the lure to camkev and ask him to bless it for u, he has close contact to certain powers ...... dont tell anyone.

SPITEC

FISHING IS THE BEST HOBBY AND IT'S GREAT FOR RELAXING

bigboy

You are wrong shanook because lately we rarely catch something and if we catch it is nothing decent or else if it is decent we loose it.

Memx xtamel hux hemm min qal li jien nishet ukol :P minjaf jista jkun hehe.

Gaffer a friend of mine yesterday caught 9kg. He was on a big luzzu (28ft). It is important to have a selection of squid jigs so as to change and vary (thats why i told you of that method with the clip las time ;) ) It does not mean that if usually you catch with that jig you will always catch with it. If you see others hauling up squid then that means that there was squid. So you should have tried varying the jigs.

The_Gaffer

I was right next to your friend in the luzzu.  Yes, he was hauling in squid like there was no tomorrow.  He had another person with him.  Infact, he was anchored and cunningly switched of the large lamp when a trawler passed by us at very close range.  Squid jigs were new shanook.  I just can't understand it.  I use floroclear line .35mm, new jigs (both in glass and sort of covered with cloth)...qanna nothing.  And when you see others around you hauling in, then you realise that you must have a problem somewhere. 
     _\____
       /___ \
___ /_____\_______
|_______________/

bigboy

He is the msida guru gaffer. He has his luzzu moored at the slip way. He often used to comewith us when my friend had his other boat.

The_Gaffer

I could see that he knew what he was doing.  Anyway, God only knows when's the next time we can go jigging...forcast is all wind for next week.
     _\____
       /___ \
___ /_____\_______
|_______________/

Buddhagrass

Quote from: The_Gaffer on November 27, 2008, 17:15:03 CETI use floroclear line .35mm

Isn't .35mm a bit thick for squids ? I really don't know how it's done from a boat but us we use .20mm to .25mm max from land. I also heard that Mr Fish new squid jigs branded DTD are very very good. Especially the Serran one. I bought a couple of DTD ones but as I told you before .... no sign of nothing from land. In fact I just came and still nothing. At least sea temp went down to 21 today so .... let's hope they'll get closer in the coming days.

The_Gaffer

Planning on giving Mr. Fish a visit tomorrow to check out these new jigs
     _\____
       /___ \
___ /_____\_______
|_______________/

bigboy

will go and see these dtd jigs.

Buddhagras from boat we usually use from 0.40 to 0.60mm for klamari ;)

Buddhagrass

Quote from: bigboy on November 27, 2008, 18:00:53 CET
will go and see these dtd jigs.

Buddhagras from boat we usually use from 0.40 to 0.60mm for klamari ;)

That's a lot compared to us from land. At the moment I am using a red one .20mm. It is the first year I am using it, with new DTD jigs too but I can't really say if they are good or not on empty seas :-)

busumark

i bought the serran one of ddt 2 weeks ago in 30 min i caught 6 klamari from boat. 5 of them on the serrana. i caught them just before sunset than tried a bit more and nothing. a big one got away and when i checked the lure the next morning i found that the neddles were a bit open. i think that the needles are a bit thin. i tried flourocarbon for klamari but never had good results. the other guy who was with me on the boat had normal mono and always cathes more than me

Buddhagrass

Apart from the serran one I even bought the pajsan and trillja. They are really nice jigs and as soon as squids start approaching land I have high hopes with them. If anyone might have an available place on a boat please PM me  ;D. I really would like to experience boat squid fishing before I die ;). Obviously I'll share fuel expenses too.

placebo

i got 12 yesterday and on the same lures i normally use.

i do not use neither fluorcarbons nor 0.25mm lines.

i always use the 0.40mm and it works fine. The thing i notice is that you have some good places as yesterday i was always catching from ther exact same spot.

DTD lures are the best you can get at the moment as they are saying but i'm sticking to yamashita and some cheap lures i got from CHina due to high currents.

I do not like the idea of sticking to the bottom and end up loosing some 3 good lures. On tis part of the island most of the guys are still using the YOZURI which in my opinion are still one of the best!

Sometime ago a friend of mine came with me all equipped with DTD while i was using the yozuris, yamashitas and the cheap china lures. I got on all my lures while my friend got much less on DTD. I still think DTD is a very good lure but now i also understand that it's the way you fish (which sometimes you can not explain in simple words on the net!) that counts!

As i said before i love to use 0.40mm lines to avoid the tangling and the line stays much more in shape! Another thing i do is that i put my jigs directly on the line (like when you put up a lead weight) and not use the pice of line (like paternoster rig) this for sure is giving better results than last year and is something i got from Xlukkajri!

the fishing gods might have something for me tomorrow I'll be fishing