• Welcome to Malta Fishing Forum.

Monster Squid - 18kgs

Started by skip, December 16, 2008, 16:26:21 CET

Previous topic - Next topic

skip

This one deserves a topic of it's own and I hope the guy responsible Davian can enlighten us as to how it was caught etc as it definately doesn't deserve to be 'lost' deep in the gallery.

Certainly this is the largest squid I've seen locally, and would be nice to know some info behind it.

ganni

i agree 100% skip!!

Hope we get a reply, im rly looking forward  :)
SHIMANO---Tomorrow's tackle today

Buddhagrass

Jesus Christ  :o ....... now that is one hell of a squid. It would be nice to get more info about it.
If you ain't living on the edge, your taking too much bloody space

Visit my Photo Sets @ http://www.flickr.com/photos/buddhagrass

SPITEC

Surely not spinning from land!!! If it would give me a pull I would be surely swimming
FISHING IS THE BEST HOBBY AND IT'S GREAT FOR RELAXING

ganni

Im really impressed because such a squid will bend the "labardi" i.e. the hooks, of a normal squid jig!! I think Davian was using another technique and for sure a thick line.
SHIMANO---Tomorrow's tackle today

Granitu

that squid must have been on steroids....lol

joking apart i think that is a jumbo squid and those can be violent.... i never though you could catch them from malta
Good season so far.....

LapsiBoy

There are squid jigs that are made for good sized squid only, they have huge needles and a whole dead fish are put into it!

bigboy

Surely one of the largest i have ever saw :)

Ermmm just thinking, could have been caught on a swordfish longline as i know of Squids (mainly totli) that were found on surface long lines ;)

LapsiBoy

I am thinking that this could be a totlu...aldo the flaps are like the ones of a squid not a totlu...totlu do grow as big as that and even bigger..but for a squid its quite a nice size !! prosit  ;D..did it still taste good man? or was it like chewing gum since as they grow their meat seems to get even tougher .

bigboy

fishfinder

:o :o :o :o I never tought that we had such gigantic Squids in Malta:)

In my opinion you deserve more than a welldone you're the god of squid catching:)
Kaptan Leisure with Suzuki DF115 4 stroke

Buddhagrass

It is absolutely a squid. The side flaps indicate so. The totlu ones are much smaller and even color differs too. As Granitu said ... these can be really vicious. There has been cases where divers gets surrounded by big squids and attacked too. They are even cannibalistic. They attack and eat each other quite often. When fishing for these big ones sometimes you'll end up with half a squid on the jig while pulling it up. I saw this during a squid fishing documentary I was watching recently. The indication they give before attacking is that they start changing colors like crazy.

rob1974

I think its a klamar.  Never thought they grow so large.

Rob

sirena

do not tell him to come on jannuary for the klamari sesion  :D :D, he will leave us astonished  :o :o :o ::) :P
always want to fish.... why.... cos fun ux!!!

Buddhagrass

Quote from: sirena on December 17, 2008, 12:13:38 CET
do not tell him to come on jannuary for the klamari sesion  :D :D, he will leave us astonished  :o :o :o ::) :P

LOL .....