• Welcome to Malta Fishing Forum.

Outboard Brand

Started by cla144, December 19, 2008, 09:27:04 CET

Previous topic - Next topic

cla144

I am a bit confused what outboard I am going to buy. I am considering the tohatsu 90 TLDI or the suzuki DF 90 four stoke. I want to know if you can help me please what are the difference between the two which regards in fuel consumption in litres, speed and reliability.

Thanks for your help  :)

fish-noob

The only advice i can offer, is try and get a four stroke, 2 strokes are getting abolished slowly slowly, they require more maintenance, more cost considering you need oil together with the fuel, and as for consupmtion is much more then a four stroke. just my .02c

ganni

I would go for the four stroke.

Cla144 i suggest that you stick and post in the same topic if there is already one existing about the same subject cause it becomes more difficult to manage the forum this way i guess
SHIMANO---Tomorrow's tackle today

skip

Quote from: fish-noob on December 19, 2008, 10:00:34 CET
The only advice i can offer, is try and get a four stroke, 2 strokes are getting abolished slowly slowly, they require more maintenance, more cost considering you need oil together with the fuel, and as for consupmtion is much more then a four stroke. just my .02c

True but also not true!! True when talking about two strokes as we know them, but Clayton is asking about the TLDI which whilst a two stroke by design giving you weight savings and less engine maintenance they are direct injection ECU controlled engines, that at certain rpm's are more efficient fuel wise than a 4 stroke.

With a 4 stroke you tend to have more weight, depending on the engine sometimes alot more, and higher maintenance costs due to belts etc which need looking at and adjusting. You don't have the oil costs that you need to add to the fuel this is true, though the TLDI's don't use alot.

I own the 90TLDI but still, I would say the DF90 zuke unless the all up weight of the boat+fuel+water+ppl is going to be on the light side maybe 650kgs max excl engine, anything more and opt for the 4 stroke. Then aask yourself how much trolling at 5-6knots you will be doing, if alot go 4 stroke, if not the TLDI is worth considering again, up to a max all up weight of 1200kgs with good performance.

Suzuki 90/80/70 weight = 155kgs (mis-printed at 189kgs on the suzuki.co.uk site) see here for the actual
http://www.suzuki-marine.co.uk/news/detail.php?id=000726

Tohatsu 90 weight = 143kgs

Let us know what boat, size and ideally dry weight, how big the fuel tank will be, if you will carry a water, aux engine, usual number of ppl and intended use.

fish-noob

Quote from: skip on December 19, 2008, 20:11:38 CET
Quote from: fish-noob on December 19, 2008, 10:00:34 CET

True but also not true!! True when talking about two strokes as we know them, but Clayton is asking about the TLDI which whilst a two stroke by design giving you weight savings and less engine maintenance they are direct injection ECU controlled engines, that at certain rpm's are more efficient fuel wise than a 4 stroke.

With a 4 stroke you tend to have more weight, depending on the engine sometimes alot more, and higher maintenance costs due to belts etc which need looking at and adjusting. You don't have the oil costs that you need to add to the fuel this is true, though the TLDI's don't use alot.

I own the 90TLDI but still, I would say the DF90 zuke unless the all up weight of the boat+fuel+water+ppl is going to be on the light side maybe 650kgs max excl engine, anything more and opt for the 4 stroke. Then aask yourself how much trolling at 5-6knots you will be doing, if alot go 4 stroke, if not the TLDI is worth considering again, up to a max all up weight of 1200kgs with good performance.

Suzuki 90/80/70 weight = 155kgs (mis-printed at 189kgs on the suzuki.co.uk site) see here for the actual
http://www.suzuki-marine.co.uk/news/detail.php?id=000726

Tohatsu 90 weight = 143kgs

Let us know what boat, size and ideally dry weight, how big the fuel tank will be, if you will carry a water, aux engine, usual number of ppl and intended use.

This is how you calculate - brilliant. i have more experience in 2 & fourstroke motorbikes and also owned a yamaha 9hp 2 stroke - what i said was more of a general explanation. boat size and weight you will carry is a very determining factor..

javelin

jien ghandi tohatsu 90hp tldi u sibtu tajjeb hafna.

I have a tohatsu 90hp tldi and found it to be very good. [bigboy]

cla144

Hi Skip,

I bought the Kaptan 15ft with cabin (like Kaptan Jnr Boat) dry weight is around 450kgs. The fuel tank shall be around 70 - 90 litres. One auxiliary around 40kg 2 batteries and 3 people. I intend to use the boat for deep bottom fishing and trolling in the range of 3 - 6knots.

Thanks for your valauble help guys :)

shanook

check the difference in price of the 90 and the 115 suzuki. I think with the 90 u should be just right... the 115 will be more than enough.I stand to be corrected of course.fishfinder should be able to give u some more inside information.
Lets see what skip has to say about this.

fishfinder

Hello Tony,

since you got me involved i have to reply  ;D (joking)

@cla144 1st thing to note is that the 90 (till 2007-08) the 115 and the 140 have the same engine and nearly the same weight(to be honest the bigger the horsepower and the lighter the engine will be)

I beleive that the new version of 90's is much lighter than the 90horse power of last year. I was informed that there's something around 30-35kgs lighter which is quite a lot.

I have the 115 on my Kaptan and Since the one of gnejna was dismantled from it's 115 i think i'm the only one with a 115 installed. Sometimes I feel that if i have to buy another motor I would go for a 140 and I'm saying this because I carry a lot of stuff with me which weighs like 3 persons. This consists of a lot of spare fuel and fishing gear for deepsea + 2 other mates so in total I would be carrying 2persons+3person fishing equipment and me (102kgs :)

make sure you know what you're going for cause every single item that you carry with you is weight and this results in loss of performance.

on buying a Kaptan I have to admit that you bought a very safe boat cause often i had to face an unwanted force 6-7 on sea cause of bad weather forecast.

Domnic Zarb will surely guide you to the correct HP.

Kaptan Leisure with Suzuki DF115 4 stroke

benri

I totally agree with your comments fishfinder!
@cla144 - Are you sure of the weight of the Kaptan is at 450kg, I'm seeing it on the low side knowing how sturdily they build their boats. Normally that weight is for a mass produced boat without a cabin!
I have a suzuki 140 fitted on a 19ft. boat and cannot complain so far. I took the advice of our friends in the MFF and the engine is much better than I expected. You might be overshooting a bit with a 140hp but keep in mind that the less you have to rev the engine, the more economical it becomes.
If I were you, I would do as our friend fishfinder suggested and have a word with Dominic Zarb of Suzuki. He's an extremely helpful person and very experienced. His aftersales so far is great! I've only had the boat for half a season but you rarely find agents who, after selling the engine, are willing to give you any size of propeller you wish to try out free of charge and see what suits you best..... Without any hurry! ..... and also come to service the engine in your garage!
Bryan
I'd rather be fishing.....

skip

Charlot as I stated above, the 90 does not apparently weigh the same as the 115/140, it was and still is misprinted on suzuki.co.uk at 189kgs like the 115/140 (although the 140 is a couple of kgs less than 189). The press release on Suzuki's site shows the 90/80/70 as weighing 155kgs.

If you then add 35kgs for a 9.9 aux you're at the same weight as the 115/140 or close enough. I would loved to have put a 140 on the back of the boat assuming I could have afforded it, but I think that couples with the 35kgs of the aux outboard plus the 100litres fuel+40 water all sitting right at the back would have the boat sitting nose up all the time!

Alot depends on the boat but if you go for a bigger engine than a 90 plus an aux see about moving the fuel/water forwards, not everything right at the back. As Charlot said when you start adding extra and lots of gear/ppl you want the extra power.

But I would imagine on a 15ft boat, with the right prop, maybe a four blader for stern lift and better planing/mid range cruise a 90 might be more advantageous due to the weight savings, especially if u can confirm 100% that the 2009 90hp weighs 155kgs.

cla144

Yes the new suzuki DF 90 is 155 kgs (341 lbs).

Is it true that the service for 4 stoke outboards is every 100hrs and costs you around 280euros (lm120) for changing filters and other parts?

Happy christmas to you and your families :)

fishfinder

If you change oil+ filter and 4 tubes of gear oil + 4 plugs it should cost approx LM30-35 Max + Labour cost. I never paid so much for a service and may be this year i will change the impeller too. Still note that my last service was in 2007 and still this year I didn't managed to do 100hrs of working. ::)
Kaptan Leisure with Suzuki DF115 4 stroke

skip

Lm120 maybe if you're changing the timing belt etc but as Charlot said not for a regular service. Gear oil is expensive for what it is!

King

Ha nitkellem naqa bil malti biex nispjega ruhi ahjar. Ha nixtri dingi u l iktar li tista itellalu nutur huwa ta 120hp. Issa mecca qalli li jekk trid tista tamlu bil 150hp basta jkun il weight tal 120hp. Qisu ma tanx qed iddoqli ax, orajt habba l weight pero andu x jaqsam nahseb ic cappa li jehel maha l mutur u hekk ukoll nahseb ux ??? U anka nahseb id dingi ikun mamul maximum sa 120hp allura ma jkunx jiflah 150hp? Daqxejn ghajnuna jekkjogobkom

Grazzi

(translation) I would like to speak in Maltese to explain myself better. I am going to buy a dinghy that can take 120Hp outboard.Now Mecca told me that i can use a 150Hp as long as it weighsthat same as the 120Hp. I am not convinced as, i know that the weight is a factor, but its the stern that has to take the strain of the motor?even the dinghy it is made to take a max of 120Hp so i dont think it can take a 150Hp?A bit of help and advice please

Thanks