• Welcome to Malta Fishing Forum.

outboards

Started by Destination Sea, January 23, 2009, 21:49:44 CET

Previous topic - Next topic

Destination Sea

Hi
Does any one own a tohatsu 90 TLDI or an Evinrude E TEc 90. maybe you could tell me how your doing with any of the above engines. any trouble, good or bad points etc.I am planning to buy a 90 2 stroke (no 4 stroke please.. to heavy, complicated with belts valves etc ) to my new boat thus i could make up my mind and try to get one right.
with regards to trolling I will be using my 2s 9 hp as always..great all round.

thanks
Marino Iside 500 - Etec 90
Buccaneer 130 - Mercury 20

Destination Sea

hadd ma ghandu mutur etec jew tohastu tldi   90 jew naqra l hemm jew naqra l hawn fil hp mhux daqshekk importanti!! ??? wforsi jghidli kif inhun sejjer bil mutur...pls
thanks

skip

I suggest you do a search on the forum as various threads have been opened. Sometimes you wont get an answer if there already is a similar question and discussion that has taken place.

Click on the forum button and then do a search 90TLDI or even TLDI and read the posts. You can also just go to the marine section, engines.

Kaptan Jr

aw siehbi jien ghadni kif xtrajt tnejn tldi u ghadni qas ir running in ma tajthom sew. li nista najdlek avolja maqdruhom hafna fil forum jien ghalija muturi tajbin u lunika darba li ghadni pruvajthom sodisfatt hafna bihom ghaliex jahdmu smooth hafna u ma jahlux. U anke t trolling speed taghom tajjeb hafna

Translation:(Ramio) I just bought 2 outboards TLDI. I havn't done the running in yet, but regardless of the complaints I heard on them, from what I've seen so far, they work very smooth, economical and maintain a good tralling speed. I am very satisfied with their performance.
Katpan 15ft, Cuddy cabin and powered with twin 50hp TLDI Tohatsu outboard engines

camkev

Jien Johnson140 hp 2 stroke ghandi jekk trid xi informazzjoni,peress li ma kelmekl hadt!!!
Translation (ramio): I've got a Johnson 140 hp 2 stroke. If you like some information as regards.
Fishing,fishing ,fishing thats all i think about.

Kaptan Jr

thannks for the translation and sorry mates. But if destination sea wants any help about tldi you can send a pm and i will help you
Katpan 15ft, Cuddy cabin and powered with twin 50hp TLDI Tohatsu outboard engines

Destination Sea

thanks kamkev . il bicca hi li etec huwa different mil 140 normali.jien kelli 3 johnsons w qatt problemi. biss dawn tldi/etec huma generu different f regward il fuel system/computer w hemm nixtieq nkun naf  fir realat x jghamlu.

the thing is that the etec is different  from the carburettor 140. I had 3 johnsons before and never had any problems. but both TLDI and etec have a different fuel/management system and in reality i would like first hand information about their performance relaibility etc

skip

Money less of an issue: ETEC or Optimax
More more of an issue: TLDI

Weight/Money/Maintenance less of an issue: 4 stroke - Suzuki or Yamaha

At this stage it's very difficult for me to pass a fair recommendation because my engine is not 100% through not fault of Tohatsu. My ignition wiring loom has a broken retaining clip within the engine which I think is making an intermittent contact that could be accounting for my problem. Mecca have already gotten the replacement part in to stock under warranty, I just haven't had the time to pass by to sort it out.

Once that is done and I get the boat back out for a test will be able to give better advice. As you can see Kaptan Jr is very happy as are some other TLDI owners.

The closest engine to the TLDI is the Optimax as they use the same injection technology licensed from Orbital Systems, but I think Mercury/Mariner have a more sophisticated engine management system. The ETECs are very high tech and seem to be doing very well but are I believe priced very similar to a 4 stroke.

Destination Sea

Hi
thanks for the reply. Read a similar case to yours on Iboats forum USA .A broken clip. If i recall correctly due to this one cant perform the self diagnosis on the engine..... etc........

Tatanka

I am going to have to be honest here with you Destination Sea . I was thinking of selling my brand new Tohatsu 40HP Autolube last week , even had it advertised due to hearing all sorts of negative feedback on the outboard :'(. But managed to speak with a couple of people that have used these motors they filled me up with confidence that they are good motors :D. The only thing which I am sure about as have seen it on various other Tohatsu motors is the body corrosion ::). But I am sure that if you take good care of it , should be OK. I have only used mine 7 times last year so it is literally brand new. One of the things I was told to do by a friend of mine is just spray the body with some light oil & that will prevent the salt corrosion ???. Obviously clean the body with fresh water too once the boat is on land. My boat is normally 2 weeks in the water ;D & 2weeks in the garage :( as I work abroad.   
Galia 440 outboard 40 Tohatsu

Destination Sea

thanks tatanka.thankyou all on this forum

skip

40 Autolube is a straight std 2 stroke so not in the same water as the TLDI's or the ETECs

Tatanka

Thanks Skip , what are your taughts on the 40 autolube then as I am not that familiar with Tohatsu motors always had Yamaha previously. I know that alot of people incl myself would say Yamaha is better but with regards to Weight/Money/Maintenance is it an issue. As I said I only used 7 times as it was baught last year at the end of the season. I will surely find out this year.
Galia 440 outboard 40 Tohatsu

skip

Any std two stroke is going to be a bit of an issue in terms of fuel consumption. However maintenance costs should be relatively low, although Tohatsu parts here are rather expensive in my opinion, at least they are on the TLDI's.

The only cause for concern with Autolube which had affected Yamaha quite badly was it failing and therefore not mixing any oil. This caused some owners to disconnect it and resort to mixing it themselves directly. Did you come across specific articles/posts on the net mentioning this is a prob for the Tohatsu 40?

Meccanic

TOHATSU PARTS ISSUE: MADE IN JAPAN

As far as TOHATSU PARTS - Original PARTS - I confirm that the new 2009 is cheaper by around 20% which makes the TOHATSU PARTS the lowest price both in Engines and in Parts.
We are glad to inform you all that with our new arrangement, we have a very good stock plus we are managing a delivery by 7 working days.

at MECCA MARINE we are today working on polishing off the Servicing department for TOHATSU Outboards. We are also offering Servicing and Outboard repairs on all brands of Outboards. Our Servicing Department will be up and running by March for our showroom launch on the 16th - 22nd March Open Week. I remind you all that a service at MECCA MARINE is just Lm 18/E41.93 vat included. Small engines up to 90Hp are done in 24Hrs!

Many changes are due at MECCA MARINE, Quality and Price remain our top priorities!
Mecca Marine, Main Str., St Paul's Bay.