• Welcome to Malta Fishing Forum.

surfcasting

Started by PK47, February 16, 2009, 23:30:56 CET

Previous topic - Next topic

PK47

What is the best rod for surfcasting, a telescopic one or there is a special model?

LapsiBoy

Go to a fish shop tell him to give you a beachcasting rod and you will see it, actually they are long telescopic rod (+-4metres) wich have a high casting weight limit.

Freeman

Best rod would be a 2 piece 4mtr+ These rods are specially designed to achieve maximum casting distance, however I have yet to see any in malta, I used them in Italy and there is a big difference between a 2 piece and a telescopic. However if you are only begining in surfcasting, you should look at a telescopic rod longer than 4mtr with a casting power ranging from 150-300grms. Imo one of the best rods are the fly hulk series, they are a bit costy and not sure if they make them any more but there should be another model that replaced them.

LapsiBoy

I bought a very good one for about 70-80Euros From Mr.Fish, it is a DIP beachcasting rod (I use it for spinning  ::))

ForTuna

I bought mine a few years back... they're all telescopic and the range is of 80g-120 g. I don t think u would need anything that casts heavier weight though.... all u need is a strong shock leader and u can use thinner lines.... and i still fish in rough sea conditions.
ForTuna

Triumph 170cc - Evinrude 75 E-TEC

SPITEC

The system fortuna uses is very good for this type of fishing and you can surely cast a very long way out even with an 80-100gram weight.He thought me how to fish that way although I don't do surfcasting very often.
FISHING IS THE BEST HOBBY AND IT'S GREAT FOR RELAXING

PK47

Hi all tnks for the valuable information, i appriciate.

Granitu

just one hint as a starter. telescopic rods are toys if you intend to do real surf casting. what many ppl in this forum practice is beach ledgering, which is done in clearer seas. i have a particular telescopic rod which i caught a lot of fish with but it always seemed to suffer with large fish. also to note the arid environment the sea and sand offers, and for this reason, a folding telescopic rod is just a nice toy, good for a beginner but bad for durability.

however, it is to note that 3 piece rods, which are the rods you should go for if you want a piece rod(forget 2 piece, they are not for malta too stiff) and no rod shall be of more than 150 grams casting weight.

real surf casting is done in rough force 4/5/6/7 weather. to note it is not the simplest of all techniques. you need to stand extreme cold, heavy rain, the wave that tries to get all your equipment and even sleep. i fairly know how to fish with excellent success to catch in malta, but it would be healthier for you to explore it by yourself, just like we did for the past years

also beware, mostly this technique is done at night, i can tell you from my recent experience that it is exhausting and beware if driving back home. last december i had a major traffic accident[aka the Mitsubishi pickup traffic accident in burmarrad on the 21st dec] after a night surfcasting with good results but good results need patience, and a lot of it. it is easy to get carried away but no fish is worth your life. i am quite paying the consequences now. everyone talks about fishing but think of other aspects as well. also always go with a buddy, never go alone so you stay in charge in turns

i suggest to mix this technique with camping, good results need long time of patience and dedication and at this time of the year, the surf casting will be sensibly decreasing unless you know the good areas very well. i am cutting back on this technique, it is something i did for the recent years and i will continue to do but to my misfortune, also happened to taste its dangers.
Good season so far.....

SPITEC

What kind of fish do you target than granitu?

Granitu

surf casting normal bream normally but i had good results on pelagic fish this year too. also once encountered a morina too which i don't know from where it came

for beach ledgering the tasty mingus and awrat, the wild solitary ones

i hate to take photos however, i am no photogenic person and hate to bluff. i fish for fun and maybe get a dinner fish to share with good friends. with regards to success, that is the truth nearly never i left empty handed, with a good hand i mean a dinner fish or more. compared to some ppl i know who question surf casting, i consider myself more fortunate
Good season so far.....

LapsiBoy

Interesanti...Granitu tista tispjegali naqa ahjar is SURF Casting Ghax interesanti jideher 10x

Interesting...Granti can you explain to me better SURF Casting because it seems interesting.

Granitu

it is essentially just beach ledgering but with different variants which light equipment does not stand. it can be clearly distinguished from the fish you get

if you take the surf word, see other sports, surfing on a board, kite surfing, you get to know they clearly have a common conception, wind.

essentially, save for exceptions, mingus is a beach ledgering catch, bream(sargi) is the surf casting catch. i will leave the rest for you to discover, you are using the internet and there is a whole load of information out there, don't expect spoon feeding, read and learn lapsi boy ;) :-*.
Good season so far.....

SPITEC

I normally do ledgering and get mostly imniges and not that frequently an awrat or a sargu but never seen any pelagic fish being caught in that way.I thought you were targeting some type of ray!

Granitu

for rays all you need is a vopa, cut its head to bleed it and a normal beach ledgering rig at ghadira. and if you are lucky you wll find one.

i don't consider ray as fish however and even though i don't like their taste

pelagic i always caught it during surf casting session and the awrat, especially the wild one is getting more scarce and shy than ever
Good season so far.....

SPITEC

I wish to try and catch a nice ray to see what type of fight it gives when you try to bring it in.The only once I caught were small stingrays and they don't give a good fight.I will try to fish with a whole vopa this coming summer to try my luck.