• Welcome to Malta Fishing Forum.

effect of tide on harbour fishing

Started by tancred, March 01, 2009, 11:26:36 CET

Previous topic - Next topic

tancred

does anyone have any ideas on the effect of the tide on fishing inside harbours, particulary for mulett and awrat? thanks

mulett75

Today was one of does days that the water was going up and down all the time, (sort of tide going out and coming in). What was happing was that some times I was geting stuck with the bottom as the water was going down very much. When I adjusted my fishing technik I was having bites whatever the water level was, (as actually we have no tides).

ganni

mulett75, at first we seem to have no tides, however we have tides which however are very small to notice, maybe just half a foot in height.  in italy in fact their gps's are programmed to predict the tide since it is of great importance when coast trolling for pelagic fish. high tide is best in the latter case
SHIMANO---Tomorrow's tackle today

mulett75

Up to my knowledge where the tide has sheduled times when it comes in and goes out. If, when the sea goes up and down, is called tide then our tide has no time as in a few minutes it can go up and down several times. In Maltese we call it "JOFROH U JIMLA" From experience I can say that when it sea goes high, very high, north west wind is prdedicted

fisheye

Actually ours is not tide, "Tides are the rising of Earth's ocean surface caused by the tidal forces of the Moon and the Sun acting on the oceans" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tide) The rise and lowering of the sea that we witness here are caused by the atmospheric pressure and at this time of the year it is very common. When the atmospheric  pressure  is relatively high to the rest of the Mediterranean we witness very low sea level while when the pressure is low the sea is full. The Maltese terms for these sea manifestation are called "jofroh" means the sea level is low or "mimli" means the sea level is high. In fact these manifestations are good signals of what kind of weather we will have. The wind can too cause this phenomenon  From some old notes of my meteorology course done some years ago.
sorry for the repetition ;D
Buccaneer 147 powered by Yamaha 85

mulett75

Thanks fisheye for you perfect explanation. (Shall we go for the horse meat?)

fisheye

Buccaneer 147 powered by Yamaha 85

blueskip

Unlike you we DO have tides! small ones are around 9.7mts, big ones about 13.0mts! so if you fish from the shore here you have to make sure that you are AT LEAST 13mts above the water when you start otherwise you get wet feet. :o
Tide runs at up to 5 knots, at mid water you have to be doing 8knots to go against it some displacement hull boats have difficulty in going against it, to hold bottom you often have to use a 6oz Breakaway lead!
Blueskip