• Welcome to Malta Fishing Forum.

Going to Marsaxlokk

Started by redbus9, March 14, 2009, 17:53:10 CET

Previous topic - Next topic

redbus9

Hopefully going to Marsaxlokk tomorrow.If any forum guys there look out for me and come and have a chat.I,ll be wearing my hat with redbus9 on it.On another point,I see a lot of guys fishing by the Cavalieri Hotel.Even in the night with lights to catch squid.Any forum members fish there? Ifso I.ll come over for a chat.Post here when you are going.  ;D
If you can't eat it don't kill it.

blueskip

Lets face it Redbus9, nobody wants to wants to give you any information about their secret spots:D If you want to hang about down there until September, I will meet you down there ;)
Have you tried that spot just outside the perimeter fence (to the right) of the Fuel Depot at Marsaxlokk? I went there with Adrian (Placebo) last year, & we had a load of garfish, & the local lads had loads of different bream species fishing the pole, we were casting out with bubble floats, 4ft fluorocarbon leaders, & size 6 hooks with a little bit of korea worm on it, then fishing a slow retrieve, great fun. :o
blueskip
Blueskip

redbus9

Blueskip I wasn,t after information on secret spots all I was asking if any forum members fish by the side of the cavalieri hotel and if they were going Iwould call over for a chat maybe

blueskip

I believe you Redbus9 ;) seems like nobody from the forum is fishing there, otherwise they would have come & spoken to you, despite the fact that you Welsh by birth! :D You want to give that spot I told you about a try though, it goes off blue/black very close in, heaven only knows what swims down there, but I dont think I would swim there. When I went there with Placebo I put a big Dexter Wedge on, & let it sink well down before retrieving, something hit it that nearly tore the rod out of my hands, but it let go after a few head shakes, I was glad it did!
blueskip
Blueskip

redbus9

Hi blueskip,yes I,m Welsh but I,ve also got Maltese nationality,and a Maltese passport and ID card.I believe what hit yuor lure was a large morina ,because I,m convinced that where the fish stalls are they throw all the guts of the fish they sell into the sea there,and I believe there are really big morina feeding off it.If you want to give it a go I,ll come with you but you would need wire trace to fish for them.Night would be best but at the moment its too cold for me as my winter fishing clothes are in the uk but day is ok but not on market day  ;D

blueskip

Not coming out again until September, but if you are still out there then perhaps we can have a day or two fishing from the shore. I have a load of gear already out there "stored" by courtesy of my stepson, & I am bringing a "pole" out with me as well, (I won it in a raffle at a fishing fundraiser", I haven't got a clue how to use it, but I have bought 10 ready made rigs to go with it, & lets be fair its only another fishing rod after all, & I have been using rods for the last 60yrs, there cant be that much to it! ::)
I think you have the wrong spot in mind, we went through Marsaxlokk to a "tank farm" situated at the waters edge, & we fished outside the perimeter fence. I will have a look on Google Earth & explain better, it was a cracking spot with loads of fish, & that black water looked as though big things could swim really close to shore there, things that might have big teeth as well!!!!!! :o
We will have to do that spot of yours where they throw the fish guts in though, the thoughts of a big moray make the blood race, but who is going to unhook it???? ::)
Blueskip

blueskip

Redbus I just had a look at Google Earth, & the spot we fished was at 35 48'34 19N 
14 32'20 23E we went through Burzebugga & followed the road around the coast until we passed the container terminal, we parked on some waste ground just by the entrance to the tank farm. The spot was directly in line with the southern end of the airport runway, bloody planes zooming over our heads all morning, & I saw the biggest container ship in the world come out of the terminal & head out to sea, it was as big as Gozo!"!!! :o :o :o
blueskip
Blueskip

fisheye

I think the place you are refering to is wied ix-xoqqa it is a good place to fish from shore.
Buccaneer 147 powered by Yamaha 85

blueskip

That's some mouthful for somebody who doesn't speak Maltese ;D but I take your word for it, yes it was a good spot lots of different fish were caught there the day we went, it looks to have great potential, all I have to do is find it again from Marsascala! :o
blueskip
Blueskip

fisheye

if you have your own transport will be easyer  but if not you have to take bus no. 11 stop at the Bir Zebbuga bus terminus from there you have about 20min walk or a bit more. Or if you take bus 13 you can ask the driver to stop infront the Free port terminal than you will have a 10min walk 

sajjiedf2

Wied ix-xoqqa is a very good spot for fishing from shore and also an interesting diving spot.
When i'm not fishing, I'm bored):xD

placebo

yes indedd it is wied ix xoqqa. i've been fishing there since i was a small kid and somehow i know that spot inch by inch!

i try not to speak about it any more as in some day's time this place will remain only in my memories due to decision of the present goverment placing the gass depot in such area!

another big ruin of our environment....and then comes the people in power and preach that they are doing all in favour of environment!

it's a lovely place fishable in all seasons. I go spinning there... i do pole fishing for kahli...i do big vopi fishing.

the above mentioned garfish is splendid day out fishing in september to december.

ohhhhhhhhh ....... i love that place!
the fishing gods might have something for me tomorrow I'll be fishing

rammx

unluckily you confirmed the rumours i heard regarding wied ix xoqqa placebo  :'(

have good fishing memories too over there

redbus9

Thanks Blueskip for the info,and yes i will be here in september,thanks to all the other guys who posted

fisheye

Placebo I believe that Wied ix-Xoqqa is the last remaining place to pactice decant fishing in that area. Unfortunatly it is destined to be destroyed in the name of progress What a pitty.