• Welcome to Malta Fishing Forum.

Spinning from Land

Started by cukito1988, May 15, 2009, 14:10:49 CET

Previous topic - Next topic

cukito1988

I have lately invested in some spinning gear for spinning from land and also got a large variety of lures. The only thing is, i'm tired of catching barracuda, i'm now interested in catching some tumbrell, spnotti, cerviol/accjol if thats always possible.

If anyone could provide fishing spots, what types of lures the fish go for and also the times for fishing the different types of fish, it would be kindly appreciated  :)

robby017

Quotei'm tired of catching barracuda
???

:o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

Lucky you... I still haven't managed to hook a baracuda by spinning from on land....
Scorpion 14.5 feet, Suzuki 60hp & Suzuki 6hp Aux.

Authorised & Licenced Fish Population Controller

Born to Fish, Forced to Work

mulett75

At this time of the year it is very difficult to catch the kind of fihes that you have mentioned. The best times for these fish are from September till December, sometimes even in January. You can try both harbours. Eventually you will see may boats trolling for these kind of fish. Anothe good spot is in Gozo, il-Qbajjar, where lots of Kubrit are caught during the month of October. Spinners and red head are the most commonly used.

cukito1988

Is tumbrell available to catch this time of the year?

LapsiBoy

Tumbrell isn't caught from land or maybe once in a blue moon 10x to martinb.

cukito1988

I really appreciate the help guys, honestly much appreciated.

Keep up the good work and advice :)

I will have to try and visit some places on the west of malta as it seems very ideal and there seems to always be some activity.

Again i appreciate all the advice

MartinB

Quote from: LapsiBoy on May 15, 2009, 15:50:16 CET
Tumbrell isn't caught from land or maybe once in a blue moon 10x to martinb.
Lol  ;D and even then it took busu & bigboy to tell me it was a tumbrell and not a kubrita when i posted the pic  ::) :-[
It can happen but not too often...
QuoteThe only thing is, i'm tired of catching barracuda
And tbh im never bored when i catch a fish..too often when spinning you might not catch a thing!!  8)

mike.d.

how far out would you need to cast to be in with a chance of catching anything, i had 1 hour practice near fra ben (hotel side) using a 9gram yo-zuri minnow and am limited to 40 yards, (thats what it says on box), so do i need heavier lures, ??? ??? ??? 

msell

mike you need at least 20 grms so you will cast far remember the more area you cover the more chance you have. I am not saying you cannot catch with that 9 grms okay?

fisheye

Imsell the most important thing is to match the lure weight with the rods casting weight. If the rod is 15gr to 50gr you have to use lures in that range of weight. Using a lighter lure and you end up with a very short throw and very good chance of birds nests using a heavier lure may result in damaging the rod. Having the wind from behind you will help you increase the distance when using lures on the lower weight range, some times by 1/3 or 1/2 of the distance. 
Buccaneer 147 powered by Yamaha 85

msell

of course my friend.i agree perfectly

mike.d.

can anyone sugest what type of lure i should be looking for in the 20grm range, or would it be best to just go in shop and ask, a little info before hand is allways a good thing, many thanks. ;D ;D ;D

placebo

go to TONY'S or Notanic in Bugibba.

they have some nice lures. You should be looking for something 7-10cm.
the fishing gods might have something for me tomorrow I'll be fishing

mike.d.

thanks for info placebo, any idea where shops are as i have not seen either of them. ??? ??? ???

placebo

on the front where the Mcdonalds is located. They look like souvenier shops but are quite equipped with various tackle.

you'll recognize them since they display rods outside the shop.
the fishing gods might have something for me tomorrow I'll be fishing