• Welcome to Malta Fishing Forum.

Okuma Cedros Jigging/Spinning Reels

Started by skip, June 07, 2009, 18:04:13 CET

Previous topic - Next topic

skip

The Okuma Cedros reels are now here in Malta and available from Ta' Bormla in Mosta. These are part of Okuma's new generation of reels and this model range is specifically targeted at Jigging and Popping. Let's have a look at the manufacturers writeup:

Okuma Cedros Spinning Reel

Specifically designed for saltwater use, the Cedros spinning reels feature a rigid aluminum body and rotor. Okuma's Dual Force Drag System for extreme stopping power and proprietary High Density Gearing with special corrosion resistant coating provide power and long term satisfaction in a harsh saltwater environment. Combine all this with a high speed gearing ratio and a customized aluminum jigging handle and you have one of the best saltwater jig fishing reels on the market. For guys vertical jigging, this is a dandy choice due to it's metal construction (frame, sideplate, rotor, spool) and very high drag capability.

ALC: Rigid, diecast-aluminum frame
   Patented Elliptical Oscillation System
   Quick Set anti-reverse roller bearing
   Machined aluminum anodized spool
   DFD - Dual Force Drag system
   Hydro Block wather tight drag seal
   Super strong high density gearing

Model 65S - Max Drag:25kg (55lbs) - Ratio 4.8:1 - Weight: 610g

The reel weight and line capacity puts this reel in the 8000 class size which is an ideal all round jigging and popping reel for jigs up to around 200g. This model has an interesting Okuma feature of being able to adjust the way the line lays itself on the spool. Straight as most of us are used to or with a top or bottom taper and this is done by removing some washers located under the spool.

The European 65S has a 4.8:1 ratio as opposed to the 5.8:1 ratio found on the use models which makes this reel ideally suited for jigging. Anything above 5.0:1 and you start getting into a popping/spinning reel, with the higher gear ratio helping to work that popper fast across the water.

In terms of target market this reel which retails for €175 excluding forum 10% discount (€157.50), sits somewhere in between the Shimano Navi 8000PG €140 and the Saragosa 8000F €230.

And as with all Okuma reels bought locally you get a full backup service, along with 2 years warranty and the reassurance that even after the warranty period, should you encounter any problems you're likely to get your reel fixed with minimum hassle.

The reel feels nice, perhaps my only complaint is the very plasticky drag knob which isn't graphite nor metal.....that's something that Okuma appeared to have sourced from their parts bin rather than making a new one! The power handle is a nice touch and should come in handy during those hours of jigging!!!

Stay tuned for a review of the reel in use, as The Gaffer has just got his hands on one and I'm sure will be putting it to use ASAP.

Granitu

Good season so far.....

MartinB

Looks good!! especially the gearing & the drag washers  ;) and it only being 610g in weight will make a big difference on a long jigging/spinning session  ;D

The_Gaffer

I haven't used the reel yet, since the Gaffer is still on the hard and will be in the water either Wednesday or Thursday.  My 1st impressions of the reel are that:
1.  Lightweight - surely a plus when jigging
2.  Sturdy body - comes in handy when I hit into that 20kgs+ AJ ;D
3.  Very smooth operation throughout, no play, no slack.
4.  Power handle is ergonomically designed - the palm of your hand curls round the handle grip, which provides for the natural grip as opposed to finger grip - definitely a positive in long hours of jigging
5. Competitively priced, when compared to similar reels on the market.

The reel will be spooled with 300m of 50lbs PLine flourocarbon and Momoi Diamond 60Lbs leader. 

Will post a full operational review by next week.
Beneteau Antares 9.80 - Powered by twin Volvo Penta D4 225HP
     _\____
       /___ \
___ /_____\_______
|_______________/

doron-g

i'm Sorry my English is bad , My question was : How about   the  rell -Okuma -Cedros 40S - CJ-40S, for Light Jigging Action?
I must say I am a fishing from kayak.
I bought a new rod for Light Jigging, crostage  crs-s64lj from majorcraft  pe 0.6 to 1.2
I trying to  Find a good jig roll for  it
I will be glad Lishmua  for  Tip to new Suitable roll
Many thanks Doron

mike.d.

skip

I don't quite understand what Doron is asking

camkev

Fishing,fishing ,fishing thats all i think about.

fish-noob

doron-g

i'm Sorry my English is bad , My question was : How about the reel -Okuma -Cedros 40S - CJ-40S, for Light Jigging Action?
I must say I am a fishing from kayak.
I bought a new rod for Light Jigging, crostage  crs-s64lj from majorcraft  pe 0.6 to 1.2
I trying to  Find a good jigging rod for it
I will be glad Lishmua for tips for new Suitable rod
Many thanks Doron

skip

The 40 should work yes but with such a light rod a 3000-4000 size reel would be more than enough. The CJ-40 weighs around 343g so is nice and light

caldaland

doron-g

Hey
I put it on the rod is look good and easy to work,But do not know  the  REEL why I'm afraid , if anyone had the  reel i weill by Happy to Lishmua .

OKUMA-1976

okuma 2010 NEWS

Cedros CJ65 price       NEW PRICE         2010 €135         /////
                       2009 Was€175

available in stores

happy jigging :)

placebo

Thumbs up to the Cedros Cj65...... the most affordable reel for jigging.
the fishing gods might have something for me tomorrow I'll be fishing