• Welcome to Malta Fishing Forum.

A beginner's experience

Started by Peprina, June 08, 2009, 20:21:42 CET

Previous topic - Next topic

baghira

Hi pepprina I really enjoyed reading your story, and although I am not a fisherman, I felt the need to write you a small comment.
Happy fishing.

By the way, I know that last summer I have been to the jetty at bugibba , and there was a guy renting small boats with a seagull. You could not go to comino, but you have to stay within the gzejjer limits. I have no names or numbers, maybe someone who goes fishing there can tell.
Ear Pain aaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

benri

emmmm.... baghira.... Last summer and the one before I towed about 3 or 4 boats belonging to that guy - In fact we've become "friends" but I wouldn't recommend them to someone "new" to fishing from boats.
I'd rather be fishing.....

Peprina

I've already had one experience of being stranded in the middle of Mellieha bay on a brand new windsurfer. I have no intention of passing through that again. Inqlejt and I had to paddle to the sandy beach. Because the board was brand new everytime I fell off it and had to climb again the antislip stuff scratched my arms and legs. The next day I started a new job as a teacher and I appeared at the school with my face red as a tomato and my elbows and arms all raw. My husband told me they're gonna think I treat you badly. And sure enough I did get asked by the school counsellor how I made those scratches. It took the head of school a few seconds to recover when he saw me and the kids had a good laugh. So, I'm gonna make sure there is a good engine on anything I go on.

msell

hi peprina,

Welcome to the forum,like someone said, here it s true like a big family, everyone will help you for sure and give you good advice how to catch fish. I have been a member for a year since now and this forum has some little experienced fishermen who are very good in fishing.If you need any help just ask and one or other will be happy to help you welcome aboard my friend.

shanook

Welcome peprina (if I am not mistaken you are the first official fisherwoman in the forum, excluding Skips better half as administrator),
So 3 cheers to Peprina.
As you have accidentally discovered the effect that fishing has on most of us, and u can appreciate why so many grown ups act like kids when it comes to fishing whether being spear, land or boat with their different techniques.
I am sure that u will find a lot of genuine help from most members of this forum, here we are one big family united in fishing.
tight lines

suffrun

welcome on board peprina, I really enjoyed reading your write up and I'm sure you will make alot of friends on this forum. Also keep an eye on any social activites that are organised.

acciola

Quote from: Peprina on June 10, 2009, 08:20:12 CET
I've already had one experience of being stranded in the middle of Mellieha bay on a brand new windsurfer. I have no intention of passing through that again.....

Hi Peprine, Shame to hear that your first windsurfing experience was a bad one. I used to be a very keen surfer since '79 and even proudly represented Malta in a few events back then. Stopped surfing when I got married 21 years ago and haven't surfed since. This is a fantastic sport but you need to start properly with a good instructor.  3, one hour lessons, in good conditions and the right equipment, should teach you the basics and put you on the right track.  Thats how long it took my wife to learn and after the third hour she was crossing Mellieha bay and finding her own way back, which is the most important thing. Trying to windsurf by simply hiring one and thinking you will simply just lift the mast and sail off is a recipe for disaster. The fact that you went to the trouble to try shows that you were interested.  I suggest you don't give up and try again, this time get an instructor and I guarantee that you won't regret it :)

baghira

[/quote]

Hi Peprine, Shame to hear that your first windsurfing experience was a bad one. I used to be a very keen surfer since '79 and even proudly represented Malta in a few events back then. Stopped surfing when I got married 21 years ago and haven't surfed since. [/quote]

What stopped when you got married and never ever?????????Why???
Ear Pain aaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

acciola

Hey Baghira,

This had nothing to do with my wife, she is always supportive to almost whatever I do. Just that I needed to start a new chapter in my life at the time and make way for new experiences thats all....  Fishing being one of them  ;)  I used to be obsessed with windsurfing and decided that it was enough.

Acciola (aka giwanrua  :))

skip

He still has the boards and sails.....:)

Peprina

Today I caught three brown wrasses and a peacock wrasse. These were around 15cm. I also caught 2 very small fish which I did not recognise. I need to start taking a camera with me to take a photo so I can look up those that I release. I'd like to know which are the species that are endangered. I know the sizes in the regulations. But are there some species not listed there where, even though they pass the minimum size limit, it would be better to release them?

I'd also like to catch more of the silver type of fish. I think I need a longer line for that. I saw people fishing on the rocks in the backwash from the waves. What do you catch that way?

mulett75

Normally when people fish on rocks in the backwash (rima in maltese) they fish for Kahli, that silver fish that you mentioed. These fish can be also fished in calm waters, near the bottom. I am very keen on this fish. I use bread with some cheader cheese added to it. It also can be fished with the "GHAL TA L-AWRAT". You can by this in form of small pallets. You have to soak in water, remove the extra water and after a while it can mashed and be put on the hook.

Peprina

I'll give it a go mulett75. If I stay somewhere near backwash, do I set the bobber for deep water or surface? And do you place the line in the backwash or behind it?

Peprina

I cannot believe it! My son is eating fish! Today I cooked the sawrell I caught and my son and daughter were fighting over it, until I got out a frozen piece of salmon, which they also ate. My son usually eats only 5 items. Fishing is doing more for me than I ever thought it could!

seawolf

Hi friends,
Last Saturday  I had a bad day I tried a 50 hook konz,and when I picked it up I found 5 hook missing .