• Welcome to Malta Fishing Forum.

The ultimate fishing machine

Started by The_Gaffer, June 26, 2009, 09:25:46 CET

Previous topic - Next topic

The_Gaffer

Here she is.  The ultimate fishing machine.  The queen of the high seas.  The Bertram 33 Sport fisher.  MY DREAM BOAT
Known by most professionals in the boat building industry as the greatest ever 33 foot hull designed.  She boasts a large cockpit, generous cabin spaces, and a flybridge designed to seat 5 comfortably. 
With Twin Yanmar 315HP diesels, she can handle F5 to F6 nasty head waves at a comfortable 24-25 knots.  Now that is performance. 
Boat building professionals and boat brokers will never ask you WHY you bought a Bertram.  That's a very powerful statement coming from a highly competitive industry, it is a testament to the quality and respect to the name, and more importantly to the boat itself.
The model I'm intersted in has twin Yanmars 315, cruising at 26 knots and with a top speed of 32 knots.  Impressive....(I could be in Pozallo in less then 2 hours!!, no matter what the weather)
She's 33 foot long, and almost 13 foot wide.  She has a saloon which makes most household living areas go into a state of inferiority complex!.  Down two steps, and you have 2 bunk beds to port side, and a full heads/shower complete with vanity cupboard larger then most ensuites!.  The forward cabin boasts a twin vee-berth with a king sized bed.  In all, it can sleep 6 people comfortable, with the collapsible dinnette changing into another berth (or 2 if you're into sleepy cuddling mode ;)) and the L-shaped sofa in the saloon converts to another berth.   
Most of you are familiar with my boat, the Trojan 26 Flybridge, a joint venture build by Trojan Yachts and Bertram, emulating the same features in curves and space as her cousin the Bertram.  There are 2 marked differences though.  The vee hull is slightly flatter then the Bertram, with a dead rise of 17 inches, compared to the deep vee 22" on the Bertram, and 6 feet smaller in length and 3 feet smaller in width.
I am seriously contemplating on putting up the Gaffer for sale   and go for one of these Bertrams 33.
I know, maybe I'm a dreamer, and as my better half told me yesterday, I'm always inventing ways to make my life more complicated.  The thing is, I get very dangerous when there's not that much to do, and my mind starts wondering ( I blame all this on the windy conditions we've had lately, and the lack of going out fishing) .  A crazy idea gets planted into this thick head of mine, and before you know it, I'm on the net surfing and researching, to develop this idea into a solid proposition, and finally a workable solution. 
I did this before, when I purchased The Gaffer from the USA.  Poor guy in the US who was selling the boat thought I was a looney, phoning him up at 8.00am in the morning from Malta, insisting that i was for real, and very interested in buying.  Before you know it, the Gaffer was sailing in on board a P&O Nedloyd container ship into the freeport in B'Bugia.  Alot of additions have been added to The Gaffer since then.  She's a great boat, and yes, a lot of TLC has gone into her.  But, sometimes, people just more on, or in my case, up.  Will keep you posted on my final decision. 
P.S.  I have an appartment for sale in B'Kara, last remaining in a block of 4, served with lift..brand new, 144 sq/mtrs, semi finished.  If I sell this, then the Bertram is mine....her name will be Begiga....why?...I'll tell you some other time.  If I don't sell, look out for the Bertram in 1 year or so...i.e. if I manage to find the right partner for the Gaffer.  See, with The Gaffer, you don't actually own her, you just look after her and use her diligently and then she's passed onto the next generation!!!!
Beneteau Antares 9.80 - Powered by twin Volvo Penta D4 225HP
     _\____
       /___ \
___ /_____\_______
|_______________/

robby017

nice............. joe... we share the same dream. :D
Scorpion 14.5 feet, Suzuki 60hp & Suzuki 6hp Aux.

Authorised & Licenced Fish Population Controller

Born to Fish, Forced to Work

neville

silver craft 395

markcam

baghira

wow
Looks interesting gaffer.

Bloody crazy you are.......but well done if you can afford it...
Ear Pain aaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

The_Gaffer

Thats the crazy part of me Silvio, I never seem to afford things...but I still buy them...then I try and make ends meet.  Problem is the ends are miles apart
     _\____
       /___ \
___ /_____\_______
|_______________/

robby017

Scorpion 14.5 feet, Suzuki 60hp & Suzuki 6hp Aux.

Authorised & Licenced Fish Population Controller

Born to Fish, Forced to Work

suffrun

may I wish you luck in following up your dream boat...........which looks impressive!!!

Granitu

when there's money.... there is a way lol  ;D ;D
Good season so far.....

mellieha

you should name it ''Love fish Gaffer'' instead of ''Love fish Sanpej''.

Wonderful piece of machinery.

poxwon

the fish stand no chance :0). Mean looking fishing boat - hope you sell your flat asap.

Gazzetta

Now that's what a call a killing machine !!!   :P   
As soon as it will be here let me know Joe, I'll share trip on it for sure !!!  ;D

Chris  8)

The_Gaffer

Working on it. Its still a dream.
     _\____
       /___ \
___ /_____\_______
|_______________/

bigboy

Prosit gaffer ;) Fuq dik nahseb titfahhom 9 qasab ehh :P