• Welcome to Malta Fishing Forum.

Diver hit by boat off Mellieha

Started by Buddhagrass, June 25, 2009, 18:36:28 CET

Previous topic - Next topic

fabrizioviper

Everyone is saying things that make sense , but there is another thing i want to add, NOTHING CAN BE TAKEN FOR GRANTED AT SEA , just because there is no roundabouts , central strips , zebras , etc etc everyone has to stay on the lookout
If I give you a fish I'll be feeding you once, if i'll show you how I caught it I'll be feeding you for ever.

Moonwalker

Quote from: Granitu on June 28, 2009, 15:27:52 CET
moonwaker, there are people with nautical licenses and don't know what a diver down flag means.... it is up for nothing for his instance.

@granitu - I agree with you on this and I already said that there was not enough enphasis on diver flags during the course. However I cannot say that the course is a rip off since I learned some good things there. And we had one lesson dedicated to first aid too.
Petecraft 20 - twin Mariner 150HP EFI

Granitu

one lesson is not enough, if an injury happens an immediate treatment can save a person's life or more important reduce the risk of disability

they should do 5-6 lectures and do it properly not a crash course. i disagree with 1 lecture, you can't learn much, it helps but not enough especially at sea
Good season so far.....

Moonwalker

Actually even 5-6 lectures are not enough without practical experience. I think course should be divided into more sub courses and depending on type of boat you have you do the courses related.
Petecraft 20 - twin Mariner 150HP EFI

charlie

I think that in my opinion certain places should be avoided by us spearos during summer time for our own safety.I am saying this cause if someone gets hit accidentaly  or not its always the spearo or diver that will feel the consequences of the incident.   

GET WELL SOON D HOPE TO YOU A FULL RECOVERY IN SHORT TIME

EmicMalta

that's hard to say that charlie. Yes its true what you said but this happen to a guy that goes all year round where we can easy say that there we do not go, but even like that there will be other people diving over there like those who go for a weekends on sea.

I believe that if doing more awerness, like signs and stickers and even something on TV programs will help us for sure.

Why we do not make our MFF stickers and put them in marinas, pontoons, patrol stations. Personally I m ready to let say give 10 euro and those money goes to someone that can make these. I m saying this cos I know that in here there are more people of same idea.

Like diving schools, they had made those signs in bays saying that Spearfishing Is Illegal In Maltese Waters when using .... ... ..   So why we don t make ours???

Granitu

if you do 5-6 lectures of 3 hrs each it can be acceptable, not the prime, but acceptable
Good season so far.....

ggantno1

In Italy they have already made it they attached signs in harbours and near slipways and Marinas . I dont think its a Bad idea . But before starting to affix signs we ll need permits from mepa and fom marinas ecc ecc  ;)
Listen, I like female form in minimum dress Money to spend with a capital "S" Get a date with the woman in red Wanna be in heaven with three in a bed !!!

EmicMalta

That s why I said we do them with collaboration of the MFF. We should have a name. I had sent emails locally time ago regards "boe" and "safety" but still till today didn t received noting. So this is why I think we should start to do something new. This forum is the only means that we can communicate with each other so lets arrange to have these permits.

I'm available and whose alse lets put down their names

baghira

Let's have the alongi competition get past, and then afterwards speak with skip which is damn busy at the moment), and see what we can do.
We can have a conversation at the barbeque
Ear Pain aaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Granitu

a little off topic, but i want to attend, when is the next barbeque?
10x skip got your reply
Good season so far.....

skip

18th July, venue to be confirmed shortly

freediver

YESTERDAY me and my buddy were diving to the west side of malta and we were about 100m of shore we had the bouay and flag ecc every thing in order but we still were going to be hit not from a normal boat but from a police dinghy they passed very close to our head unbilvable we were shooting to them and they were going to keep driving but they turned we were very angry because they were passing more then 30 knots and they were very close to land less then 100m and we had evrything inorder and he told us that we soppose to stay close to land as possible because the law say so. does any body knows any thing about this that we soppose to stay close to land as possible.beacuse i don't know anything about this law.

Granitu

from what i searched this sounds relatively new,

and it can't be that it exists, there are wrecks at xlendi, xatt l ahmar, ect 150-200m if i reckon correctly away from shore and they must carry buoys according to law although normally they have assistance from a boatman. And they are meant to be accessed from shore with similar buoys to ours(same flag).

diver down is not necessarily for apnea, but also to divers in conjunction with aqualungs. 

probably it is just an excuse for their negligence. there is no law for that, let alone that there is very little about diving buoys. sometimes i got the same reply from some boat owners too so probably they don't want to risk, but you have to make the sacrifice....

and 100m is not alot
Good season so far.....

EmicMalta

Quote from: freediver on July 01, 2009, 21:22:47 CET
YESTERDAY me and my buddy were diving to the west side of malta and we were about 100m of shore we had the bouay and flag ecc every thing in order but we still were going to be hit not from a normal boat but from a police dinghy they passed very close to our head unbelievable we were shooting to them and they were going to keep driving but they turned we were very angry because they were passing more then 30 knots and they were very close to land less then 100m and we had everything in order and he told us that we suppose to stay close to land as possible because the law say so. does any body knows any thing about this that we suppose to stay close to land as possible.because i don't know anything about this law.

http://maltafishingforum.com/talk/index.php?topic=441.msg13292#msg13292

it happened the same to us. They came full speed on us and instead of of saying that they did not cared, after nearly passing up-on us (two floats) they told us why we where out there and who told us regards certain distance from the boe. I respect them a lot but this means that something is wrong. I believe that there is no awerness regards the diver flag. The important thing is not just talking but need to react about this before it will be too late.

Also every day we see people swimming with an olive can instead of a boe, so we need to show these people too that they are doing a mistake