• Welcome to Malta Fishing Forum.

Beggining Spinning

Started by sajjiedf2, July 03, 2009, 18:47:15 CET

Previous topic - Next topic

sajjiedf2

Hi guys

I am interested in doing some spinning from shore. I am COMPLETELY new to this fishing technique but it seems to be fun! Can anyone please recomand me some good lures which I can buy, and what type of fish is caught on them? And can you please tell me other important things that i need to keep in mind whilst spinning?

Thanks
When i'm not fishing, I'm bored):xD

sajjiedf2

skip

MartinB is your main man for spinning but there are others as well.....

sajjiedf2

Ok. Thx skip. Gazzetta also refered me to him. Will send him a pm.

Thanks

SPITEC

It mostly depends for which type of fish you will be targeting and from where you will be fishing!
FISHING IS THE BEST HOBBY AND IT'S GREAT FOR RELAXING

spinner35

try the halco lures 40 or 55grams!!!!
and use a 0.40mm or thinner line....
you can get many kinds of fish from barracudas to dentex.....depends on how deep you let your lure sink before you start spinning...
all you need is alot of patience and luck!!!!!
jungling!!!

sajjiedf2

@ SPITEC - since ia m new o spinning, right now I am not targeting any particular fish, just in general. Then when I get used to it, I will start targeting particular fish. Regarding fishing places I do not know some particular places which I can spin there. Probably in the area of Birzebbuga or Zurrieq. Thanks for your help.

@Spinner35 - Regarding the halco lures, are there some names of the lures which you think are best for a particular fish? Eg with that lure you can catch that type of fish. THanks a lot.

sajjiedf2

SPITEC

As you said you are a begginer.I would suggest you buy a spinning rod and a reel if you don't have them allready and a couple of different lures(3 or 4 differnt colours and diving depths).I would suggest to try different places because you cannot say where you are gone find some fish.I prefer to go early morning,a little bit before sunrise.It's not that easy to catch something spinning but never give up because you will be really satisfied when you catch something with this type of fishing.Good luck.

spinner35

i found out that the lures that i made myself are the best!!!!!
as regards to halco...the TWISTY is a very good all rounder for all kind of fish!!!!
jungling!!!

SPITEC

That ia a double satisfaction spinner35.You catch a fish and most of all on a lure you made yourself.Welldone.

MartinB

Quote from: spinner35 on July 07, 2009, 19:05:09 CET
i found out that the lures that i made myself are the best!!!!!
as regards to halco...the TWISTY is a very good all rounder for all kind of fish!!!!
I can confirm this! Viva il munga lures! LOL ;D
@sajjiedf2
Basically as SPITEC said if you intend going around b'bugia & zurrieq area best if you buy a spinning rod & reel and a few lures and try an hour before sunrise or sunset as these are the best times to hook up a barracuda which is a good fish to get started on  ;D

As regards lure's there are many choices and differing opinions re colours etc depending on where your fishing and what your going after.
I can reccomend a couple of good "all rounder" lures which i always keep in my lure box..The Yo-zuri crystal minnow (& pin minnow's!) the blue/mackerel colour and the red head colour which is an awesome lure.Rapala x-rap's are also a very good lures to have and various colours work well fire tiger,blue/mackrel,red head..have a check on the forum as there are numerous topics about this.
Try using .35mm line (or braid equivilant) as you'll get a decent cast range on a light spinning rod set up... and finally the best peice of advice i can give you...Stick with it! Spinning is 90% perserverance! and the rest is up to the fish! or sometimes just plain,dumb luck!
Tight lines mate  8)

sajjiedf2

Thanks a lot guys. You gave me very useful information. Hope that I catch something now :D

sajjiedf2

mike.d.

hi martin, how far should i be looking to cast out from some where like fra ben to be in with a chance of hooking something, at the moment i only have a 9gr yo zuri cristal minnow and its only 40mtrs casting distance, my rod says 15-40.

SPITEC

Hi mike.d ta fra ben is not a bad area for spinning on yhe side of salini the part where most of the people go swimming is shallow but I caught a few cudas from there and on the other side is good for everything basicly.You never know at what distance you will find the fish but the further out you cast the better.40mt cast is very good considering 9gr lure.What do you think Martin?

MartinB

Yep def for a 9g lure!!! Although casting distance will depend on what thickness of line your using too,don't go too light on line thickness as you might hit into a nice fish up there early in the morning at this time of year ;D