• Welcome to Malta Fishing Forum.

shore fishing in malta

Started by maisophie, July 09, 2009, 20:45:38 CET

Previous topic - Next topic

maisophie

:) hi every one, im coming to malta st pauls bay end of july for one weeks holiday. im bringing my 13foot rod also a 9foot spining rod. please can you give me advise on what i could catch and how. also i am a strictly catch and release angler from the uk. ???

clutch_kick

Oh you're going to have trouble fitting in!! We are strictly catch and cook here!!  LOl ... just joking.

barracuda's are starting to how up slowly at this time, if you're going to be spinning. Use floating/sinking minnows that have a shallow depth. I find sizes from 100mm to 120mm to be good.  Natural colours work best if the water is clear.  Just find some deepish spots, and look for plenty of baitfish.
Official Molix, Major Craft, DUO and SeaSpin agent for Malta.

noztheviking

Hi there I am like you I travel to Malta from the UK quite a few times a year to fish in MALTA, Firstly you say that you are taking a 13 foot rod with you if this is a beachcaster as we use back here, dont bother leave it at home.cos the sea fishing in Malta, from the shore that is, Is like our freshwater fishing here. forget the beachcasters 15lb line, big hooks and weights, think more like heavey river fishing or flattie bashing. hook sizes 6 -18, and no Im not kidding,Fish wise you are likely to catch mullet, sea breams, various types, non of them of spectacular size, moray eels, and all sorts of weird and wonderfull wrasse, most of them that would look at home in a tropical aquarium. ALL SO BIG WORD OF WARNING. There are a number of venomous fish that you can end up pulling up, the two most recognisable ones that you should know from home are the lesser and greater weavers, then you have three differant types of scorpian fish, red ,brown and black. dead easy to recognise cos they are so bloody ugly, dont handle unless you know what your doing. Get one of the local Maltese if one is near you o sort it out for you, they are quite happy to help you, cos they eat them. clutch-kick was not kidding when he said it was catch and cook in Malta, HA HA HA, But if you need any help just ask on here,they are a good lot and will offer you reet good advise and help freely, thats why I spend so much time on here and in MALTA  Tite line and enjoy your stay and fishing while your there

maisophie

exelent advise guys thanks alot.wot weight ov line would you suggest for spinning also would a metal dextor type spinner produce fish. i relly want to catch a cuda. so if i bangged out a big squid bait after dark ne chance ov sumthing bigger??

noztheviking

Hi Bud you have more chance of getting a cuda whilst spinning than with a static bottom fished bait, you are more likely to pick up a moray eel especially at night on a bottom fished bait. Try spinning at first light in the morning and last light at night, thats when the locals told me to fish and it works for me, so who am I to argue if I am catching fish.

maisophie

ok iv just bought a couple yo-zuri 130mm lures not cheap but hopefully worth the ?20 . gonna pick up 15lb braid for spinnig. i think i will still take my beach caster paired up with my penn super mag just to see wots further out on bottom . cant wait cheers noz ne more advise gratefully welcomed

noztheviking

YO ZURIs good as are rapalas and any other floating/ slow sinking plugs and poppers. dexters, flying condoms, large mepps  Excellent, braid ok for spinning but found fluoro better, only probs with fishing far out is very rubbish bottom take some rotten bottom clips with you there is very little clean bottom round St Pauls bay, 10 -12 lbs breaking strain alright for spinning,