• Welcome to Malta Fishing Forum.

LRP

Started by camkev, July 16, 2009, 07:56:26 CET

Previous topic - Next topic

camkev

Hi Guys,did anyone hear that they are adding some chemical to the lrp fuel?A mechanic told me that they are adding some kind of chemical that is making the petrol very sticky.I had to change the spark plugs twice yesterday and the carburators got blocked.This guy told me that they are not giving anymore lrp to boats and other machines due to this chemical.....Is it possible to start giving unleaded fuel to the boat(outboard 2 stroke johnson)?Or i have to change something?I heard about 2 other guys that were giving lrp and they had the same problem.Tks
Fishing,fishing ,fishing thats all i think about.

stevea

Hi Camkev... I just have two years exeperience on outboard motors.. but I have always used unleaded fuel on my Johnsons two stroke (9.9 -15) !

neville

thats a problem guys
silver craft 395

camkev

On my 9.9 i give unleaded but the 140 was always lrp.Yesterday i managed to empty the tank so now i can give unleaded i asume????

camkev

I just spoke to my mechanic and told me that 4 more guys called him about this problem,all with the same problem of no accelaration and when you are driving it's like you have a turbo and wants to accelarate but cannot.

benri

Better ask a good mechanic about Lrp and unleaded. I had a Johnson 90 (year of manufacture 2000) and I use to give unleaded. Another thing to consider is to add a carb cleaner to the fuel to clear the carburators. I once had bought a good one from Falzon service station
I'd rather be fishing.....

suffrun

you may also consult the manual and see if it takes unleaded.

fishfinder

In the past I had a 9.9 with LRP and then I've changed to unleaded but I had to change the 2 stroke oil with another quicksilver one not to make any damages.

Kaptan Leisure with Suzuki DF115 4 stroke

Destination Sea

camkev check the manual.  I think it will take unleaded.  However since the engine is a two stroke i do not see any reason for any damage to occur. (2s has no valves) for which the " leaded" was used to cushioin the valve seats. But than they where hardened so unleaded ( with  less amt of lead) started being used. The main thing is the octane rating.(non existance here) so i guess that both LRP and unleaded are in the same level. (maybe some ignition timing maybe needed but i dont think so)
Marino Iside 500 - Etec 90
Buccaneer 130 - Mercury 20

polidmar

Benri did you note any difference after using the carb cleaner pls?

benri

I used the carb cleaner when I had a problem - when I accelerated, it wasn't responding like something is stuck... and it did cure it!
I'd rather be fishing.....

camkev

ok tks benri,i will go and buy one  ;)

Destination Sea

camkev RLR has johnson 2+4 fuel conditioner to be added with the petrol. 500ml about Euro 9. You can use it after cleaning the carbs. Personally i think its good . apart from normal running(did not  always add during summer) I also used it every winterising i.e leaving the carbs filled with petrol   (engine  not started during winter) and never had any  float needle  sticking etc . I also  used it for the tohatsu aux and now for the  etec. one use ex 10ml for every 5L
Marino Iside 500 - Etec 90
Buccaneer 130 - Mercury 20

reuben485

Wath type of carb cleaner do you use for 2 stroke because i didn't find a product which is specified for 2 stroke engines.