• Welcome to Malta Fishing Forum.

Bennett trib tabs installation on Kaptan 16ft

Started by Moonwalker, August 07, 2009, 10:16:58 CET

Previous topic - Next topic

Moonwalker

Anyone have the M80 trimtabs installed on Kaptan 16ft with centre console? Where is the best place to install the rocker switches?
I have some other queries maybe someone can help. See the document attached.
Petecraft 20 - twin Mariner 150HP EFI

skip

In my experience the idea place for the rocker switches is on the console but in reach from the throttle. So that basically you can just slide your finger tips over the top of the throttle and reach the tab rocker switches to adjust and fine tune the trim.

I also know some people prefer to control the rocker switches from the hand they use for steering and so they mount the rockers in reach of their steering hand. Similar principal of being able to slide your finger tips to adjust.

Good questions about the tab mountings......I would suggest contacting bennett to be 100% sure that you will do it right.

fishfinder

Moonwalker, my trim tabs are mounted as fig. 1b but from one side they are 1.5inch and larger from the other side in order to get the trim tabs straight as possible. if you install them as fig 1 i think you will drag much more water and most probable you will have more splashes with the corner.

the height of the spacer is approx 2 inches and it's fitted very close to the edge of the bottom and then the trim tabs will be screwed in the middle of the spacer.

for the switch i would suggest to install it close to the steering wheel so that they will be handy to operate.
Kaptan Leisure with Suzuki DF115 4 stroke

Moonwalker

Thanks Skip. I will try to fit the switches near the throttle. Same doc was sent to bennett but getting some feedback from experience is sometimes better.
Thanks fishfinder. Like fig 1b the piston mounting will not be flat witht he boat back but I think it rotates. Will try later. Any idea if yours are mounted like fig 3 or fig4?

Moonwalker

Just got email from Bennett - great service they have.

QuoteThe tabs will have to be parallel with the sides of your vessel, since they can not "toe out" (per Fig. 1a) since the drop fins on the sides of the tabs will act like rudders and cause undue drag on the system.  They will also need to be mounted so they follow the hull's running surface and they can cross lifting strakes too, as long as the hull's angle is the same on both sides of the lifting strakes.  Please let us know if you will not be able to mount the tabs inline with the hull sides or not, so we can see what other ideas we might have to help you out!

We look forward to your reply.

fishfinder

Moonwalker my tabs are installed s fig 3b. Friday me and Busu came to Mgarr but you where not at home :-\

is you still have problems just let me know and we can go on the mooring and measure all requirements

Moonwalker

Yeh I'm very busy these days - most time I am out. I have not been able to fit tabs yet. The spacer I cut did not came out properly since it need to be slanting to fit at right angles. So I put old tabs again and will try to fit M80s some time during week. Will be out tomorrow trying for some lampuki and bottom fishing.

Do you think nylon block is good to be used as spacer?

fishfinder

I think Nylon is better than wood, it's much more stonger and maintenance free.

skip

What was the outcome of this? Success? Did your performance improve?

Moonwalker

Sorry I forgot about this topic. Today I was a little sick and took some time to look araound the forum.

I have in the meantime installed the new paltform that Kaptan boats are adding to boats like mine (with outboards) and can say that I'm very satisfied. Now there is no place where to install the trimtabs but I dont really need them any more.