• Welcome to Malta Fishing Forum.

illegal net fishing in Birzebbuga

Started by placebo, October 31, 2006, 11:16:58 CET

Previous topic - Next topic

placebo

the fishing gods might have something for me tomorrow I'll be fishing

kempy

thisd is nothing new i fish there every single day and i normally see this just seems there is nothing any 1 can do  >:(
A bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at the office

A woman who has never seen her husband fishing,doesn't know what a patient man she married

sergio

i dont understand why amateurs use nets in the first place ! what's the fun in that ? fishing with a rod is su much more challenging since you have to fight the fish ! i understand that professional fishermen use nets because they need to make big catches in order to make some profit , but amateurs only fish to have fun and maybe bring a few fish home for a nice meal ! fighting a fish on light tackle is the best :)

placebo

these people are destroying our environment.....i can't believe my eyes sometimes! this could also be of great danger to snorklers and also big boats

kempy

but is it against the law to fish with the nets in the harbour im sure it is so why dont the police do some thing?
A bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at the office

A woman who has never seen her husband fishing,doesn't know what a patient man she married

Arti2

There is suppose to be a mark coloured white and red to show from where it is legal to throw their nets. Most of them come from Marsaxlokk. They see every single fish M-O-N-E-Y!!!! I don't know why local enforcements don't talk to these guys as they are doing so much harm to our precious sea! Last time I went spearfishing near Birzebbuga fish farms I had the buoy with me as I always do with the flag showing that I am diving but one of them kept throwing the nets near me putting me in danger! What I do? I was in the sea he was o his boat! Something has to be done!
Maltese to English Names visit www.renotonna.yolasite.com

Seahunter

They pracically kill everything.  I saw them throwing nets in the St.Julians area from il KAVALIER till the shallow places inside the port.

MartinB

They are idiots and spoil fishing for everyone,themselves included as the nets they use have such a small mesh pattern that they pick up everything, junvenile fish included ,so where they expect next years fish to come from when they are killing off juveniles every year is a mystery to me,its no suprise that shore fishing has been getting worser every year  >:( As far as it being against the law i m pretty sure that during the months of december and january there is a very old law which allows them to put 'parit' nets inside the perimeter markers (crazy law isnt it!) i dont know if this law still applies but it definetly did 4yrs ago as when we tried to report someone maritime informed us of it.

Robert

http://docs.justice.gov.mt/lom/Legislation/Maltese/SubLeg/425/01.PDF

Article 24 states that only in the period between 15th Feb until 15th July, pariti cannot be used in the places where a tartarun cannot be used i.e. inwards from the markers on either side of bays. So, outside this period, it seems that pariti can be laid down in bays. There is no specific reference to how far away from the shore it should be in any case. Article 25 also states that special permits can be issued so that even in the said period pariti can be laid down close to land.

That's why fish stocks are dwindling...
Man will never be able to stop time but he can get very close by freediving.

MartinB

Thanks for clearing that up rob,although i know of many instances where pariti have been put down in bays in the allowed period & have been taken up by the patrol boat,so it seems not even the authorities know what the law is let alone when or where to enforce it (what a suprise!!) & even so you'd think fishing regulations should reflect the times,how a law drafted in 1934/1935 achieves this is a mystery.However it does stipulate the size of the knots in the net which are fairly reasonable if someone bothered to enforce the law.... 

visa

I saw this also in Gozo in M'forn right in the bay in front of the otters pitch, down to nearly half the bay and then another on from the opposite side to the middel of the bay, try fishing from the bay u catch nothing,  But before these nets were being trown you could catch mplenty of fish . now nothing >:(
RASCALA 24ft. with DF225 hp SUZUKI v6 4 stroke

placebo

they are doing it again in birzebbuga. this year i notice 5 different boats working nets in the bay even to a 3-3 metre distance from shores.

Arti2

Do you guys knows where to phone for someone to take action?
Maltese to English Names visit www.renotonna.yolasite.com

bigboy

The authorities seem to take action on (s) registered boats who cast their nets outside harbours but do not take action on the bastards excuse my language but that is what i call people like those who cast out their nets in harbours and in bays.

Simon G

something has to be done by the authorities if i had to start mentiong all the places i found nets in bays you would be disgusted i found nets in 3 ft of water while i was preparing for a dive
maxxon 420 with 30hp tohatsu
profesional aquarist and under water photographer
semi profesional spearfisherman