• Welcome to Malta Fishing Forum.

November-December Fishing

Started by gottie, November 06, 2006, 18:54:53 CET

Previous topic - Next topic

gottie

Now is the right time for catching Bonito Tuna right ? Heard you dont have to go too far out to catch'em. I also saw them for sale at Marsaxlokk.
I heard that you have to troll for them about 300 meters from shore. Can anyone confirm ? Appatently these fish put up a very good fight.

skip

Interesting, any idea on the size normally caught? Haven't been out in ages and usually on the hard at this time of year so interested to know what's around.

Skip

gottie

Yes they're usually in the 3 KG region and you dont have to go far our for them. Anything between 300 Metres and a couple of Miles.  They usually bite in the mornings and evenings, But once they're at it they'll go for anything. Once they're hooked beware as they pull alot, I heard.

ciappinu

Yes, I can certainly confirm that.

Last year we went out twice for them. Once we caught 6 in the 2kg to the 3kg range. You can catch them in 10metres deep.

The best spot I know for them is St. Paul's bay. There is a line from infront of the St. Paul's Bay School to Mistra where the depth breaks suddenly from 25m to 10m. Another hot spot for them is just outside St.Paul's Islands and the shallow waters off Selmun.

They offer quite a fight, but nothing impressive for their heavy size. They tend to bullet around your boat.

November is best for them.
Seabrave 14 e-Tec 50hp

gottie

Saw some nice big ones at a fish hawker yesterday. They were selling at Lm 2 each. Anyone got an idea of their meat is very good or not for cooking ?

Was intending on trying for them next weekend. My 17 foot boat is on land but I have a 13 foot fibre boat with an 8 HP yammie on it which is very easy to launch and take up again.

However it seems that its going to be rough. Damn. Whay does it have to lovely when I'm working and Rough when I'm off.

kempy

i have that same problem when ever i plan to go fishing the weather is rubbish and when i have work the weather is great... i went out when the weather was bad and now i have flue so all my fishing is canceled  >:(
A bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at the office

A woman who has never seen her husband fishing,doesn't know what a patient man she married

gottie

Can anyone suggest what is it best to troll for this weekend ? Plamti, or is it still possible to catch tunnagg ? 

ciappinu

Hi Gottie.....I suggest you use White Squid Lures and troll close to the shore.
Seabrave 14 e-Tec 50hp

gottie

Tried trolling a bit last Saturday... but nothing bit my lure. I guess its time to switch to squid fishing.

ciappinu

I wouldn't give up so easily.

Did you use white rubber octopus lures? Because I caught 5 on that and 0 on three other types and colours the Saturday before.

I might go down again this Saturday......
Seabrave 14 e-Tec 50hp

gottie

Last year I tried fishing for Plamti once- but no success !!

This year I intend trying again. For this purpose I will use my 13-foot boat with 8hp outboard.

Anyone knows what lures to use and if there are any good spots in the vicinity of Comino for Plamti ?

bigboy

I usually fish for plamty using white feather lure usually around 8-9 cm long. i use 0.55mm good mono and a 100-350g sinker. Usually on a hand line i have up to 10 feathers and a lure at the end. Mostly at the end i use a rapala husky jerk of around 14cm.

bigboy

Has anyone been catching any plamti lately??? many were caught in these last 2 weeks