• Welcome to Malta Fishing Forum.

First post - new to the forum

Started by gabaj, December 10, 2006, 11:16:05 CET

Previous topic - Next topic

gabaj

Hi to all members.This is my first post even though I have been following the discussions for a couple of months since I am new to fishing and found all topics of great interest.

Let me introduce my fishing history first.
I used to fish a lot inside the harbour with a rod when I was a kid but then stopped and restarted about two years ago when I bought an old 13ft bahri form a friend who had not used for it. I mainly use it in summer in the MScala area and enjoy myself a lot even the catches consit of small fish.TH

skip

Welcome to the forum, things are a bit quiet at the moment but will pick up in the next few months. Glad the forum has been of use.

Skip

kempy

welcome from me if you have any qestions pls feel free to ask . as skip says the site is pretty quiet right now may be cause people are busy with xmax and things any way take care ... kempy
A bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at the office

A woman who has never seen her husband fishing,doesn't know what a patient man she married

gabaj

Thanks Skip and Kempy for the welcome.
???I have so many questions that I would like to ask.
Here go the first two - what to fish for in the Mscala area in summer (May - Sept)and which are the best spots.
                             -the other is re planti fishing.On several occassions I saw people coming in with plamti catches from the fish farm area. What gear,tackle and technique to use to catch these fish?

Thanks in advance

kempy

well i can only help you 1 of them. There will be many mullet in marsascala in fact this summer i caught a 2kg mullet was very nice but we even caught a few awrata from there as well its a good place to fish as there are many different fish to be caught  ;D
A bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at the office

A woman who has never seen her husband fishing,doesn't know what a patient man she married

busumark

hello i am new to the forum. i want to reply to the other question of gabaj. they used to catch plamti just by throwing a hook and line with a piece of kavall near the fishfarm

gabaj

Thanks Kempy and Busumark.

This leads to another question re plamti.What size of hook and line to use for such a fish and where do I buy the kavalli?

busumark

u can use mustad no9 tal label hamra if the plamti are more than 2kg.if you dont use a lot these hooks u can buy something similar but in a small packet. if ur using a rod u can use line 60mm but if you are not using a rod better use line 80mm or 90mm. u can buy some kavalli from marsaxlokk on sunday because otherwise you have to buy a box from pixkerija but you will have a lot just to go for plamti.

gabaj

Thanks for the help maybe at last I will catch a fish worth taking a photo of.