• Welcome to Malta Fishing Forum.

New Boat & Motor!!

Started by camkev, October 08, 2009, 11:21:37 CET

Previous topic - Next topic

camkev

Time has come to change my boat and motor.I need some help regarding the motor.E-tech or 4 stroke engine.Length of boat 17 feet.The engine will be used mainly for trolling from live bait to alungi.What's your opinion??Consumption,power etc!!
Fishing,fishing ,fishing thats all i think about.

ciappinu

Although eTec seem to be fantastic motors, and are ideal for trolling, I personally would go for 4 stroke. Reasons being, i. no need for 2 stroke oils, ii. not too fond of the supplier in Malta (Parts rarely available from stock, not like other suppliers, and not the best technicians anymore from my experience in owning a johnson) iii. 4 stroke is the future, and 2 stroke motors might eventually be more expensive to licence.
Seabrave 14 e-Tec 50hp

robby017

suzuki 4 stroke bhal ta benri........ performance and consumption.... unbelievable.
Scorpion 14.5 feet, Suzuki 60hp & Suzuki 6hp Aux.

Authorised & Licenced Fish Population Controller

Born to Fish, Forced to Work

blueskip

For trolling at low speeds the 4 stroke will be happier than the E Tec 2 stroke ;)
Blueskip

Destination Sea

I would also consider two items in general. engine weight and its components. Any four stroke engine has more parts to go wrong and more expensive to service. Regarding the future of these type of engines four strokes are not the only ones to stay.
Marino Iside 500 - Etec 90
Buccaneer 130 - Mercury 20

kurtfalcon

I am currently doing a project on the advantages of these Direct Injection 2-strokes over 4-strokes.  I ve based my study onto three main outboard brands: The E-tec from evinrude, the Optimax from Mercury and the TLDI from Tohatsu. As per quality all of them seem very common. In general from my research I discovered that 2-strokes offer better performance, better torque and consume less fuel. The only drawback these engines seem to have is that they are not as silent as the 4-strokes.

If you need further information just ask. Hope I ve been of any help
#1 on the water ---kurtfalcon--- #1 on the water

caldaland

thank for the info mate. highly appreciated!

skip

Go with the theory the Americans love to use........buy the dealer, not the brand or technology.

It's the dealer you're going to need if you have problems, not the manufacturer.

sirena

Amen, completly right  search for the best after sales service
always want to fish.... why.... cos fun ux!!!

joe

yamaha good saport from egent

shanook

kurtfalcon,
why were 4 stroke introduced to outboard motors? mainly because of the fuel consumption and pollution of water and air.
The pollution and consumption have been addressed by Etech so there is no advantage with a four stroke in that regards. The performance is better than a four stroke. and the noise is not that much difference it is still considered as silent (the suzuki is more silent).
So the question arises. Why buy a four stroke? and u end up with what we always say AFTER SALES SERVICE and help. Whichever u choose u are in a win win situation. e-tech or suzuki..................your choice

kurtfalcon

When emission standards began to phase in, 4 cycle technology was the easiest available and most manufacturers quickly opted for that choice. Boaters were comfortable purchasing four stroke outboards – they are quiet, fuel efficient, and easy to start.

Four stroke outboards are not the perfect match for every hull. Their heavier weight shifts the "point of balance" on many boats. Since they make power on every other revolution of the crankshaft, 4 strokes are slower to accelerate and the boat may work harder to come to plane. This is especially true of older hull designs with more deadrise and beams that narrow astern.

Direct injected engines use the proven internal components of a simple two stroke but improve the breed by injecting fuel and oil, only as needed, where needed, and when needed. This provides the best of both worlds, an engine with the acceleration and "fun factor" of a 2 stroke, and the economy and environmental responsibility of a 4 stroke.
Evinrude markets direct injected engines under the "E-Tec" banner. Mercury labels their DI two strokes "OptiMax". Two other brands also compete in this market Yamaha with their "HPDI" family of outboards, while Tohatsu offers "TLDI".
Direct injected 2 strokes are light and they have fewer moving parts than 4 strokes. Two stroke engines love to rev! Sustained high speed running won't lead to premature wear or component failure, as it can with the more complex 4 stroke design. Only one outboard motor has ever won the prestigious Clean Air Excellence Award from the U.S. EPA. It was a Direct Injected Two Stroke.

kurtfalcon

And ciappinu why do you think that 2-stroke motors might eventually be more expensive to licence? When it comes to emissions the E-tec models ( except the 300, but they are working on it) have the 3 Star Ultra Low CARB rating while many 4-strokes still only have the 2-star thus many 4-strokes might eventually be more expensive to licence  ;) 

rob1974

What about consumption at slow trolling speeds?  Also, I beleive a 4 stroke can maintain a lower minimum speed than an equivalent 2 stoke making it better for live bait trolling. 

Rob

kurtfalcon

The Tohatsu's idle RPM is 700 while the minimum for the Evinrude E-Tec is 500. When it comes to the OptiMax I sincerely do not know but should be similar. Fuel consumption is the same as 4-strokers if not better.