• Welcome to Malta Fishing Forum.

Winter Projects on The Gaffer

Started by The_Gaffer, November 27, 2009, 08:48:42 CET

Previous topic - Next topic

caldaland

i already feel sorry for the fish gaffer! lol

skip

Certainly an awesome achievement, so far this topic has been read 3110 times, a testament to the level of interest it has generated on the forum and the sheer size and scope of this project!!

I'm not sure if Joe and Ray kept track but it would be interesting to know the number of hours spent over the past few months.......

Would love to have come down to photograph the launch unfortunately I'm stuck with having to work this Saturday - Good Luck and Keep us posted on how things go.

Shaftbomb

Prosit Gaffer - I myself learned a lot from this topic!

redbus9

C
Congratulations on finishing your boat, and thank you for keeping us updated on the project, very enjoyable reading about it.
  ;D   ;D
If you can't eat it don't kill it.

kris

15ft Marino Atom 450 Powered by Tohatsu 30hp 4-stroke Fuel Injection

28ft Luzzu Powered by Twin 45 Hp Perkins

rammx

Proset Gaffer & Mundinu for all the work you did...Wish you all the best & double the fish you immagine to catch :)

benri

great job Gaffer & Mundinu.... Prosit! And there's nothing better than the jobs yo do yourself!
I'd rather be fishing.....

kris

prosit mundinu aswell as i forgot to tell u my friend ;)
15ft Marino Atom 450 Powered by Tohatsu 30hp 4-stroke Fuel Injection

28ft Luzzu Powered by Twin 45 Hp Perkins

shanook

well spoken bryan............u have first hand experience in that eh...

The_Gaffer

Project Closure

The Gaffer was launched today at exactly 10.30am from Kalkara Creek.  As there was a huge swell, I hastened the departure and mae my way towards the opening of grand harbour.  1st thing noticable was the engine decibles have gone down by about 10db.  This is attributable to the fact that we increased the sound proofing inside the engine room to cover all the engine surroundings including the forward and aft bulkead.  This surely paid off.

Second thing I noticed was the way the engine accelerated.  The response time is now much quicker, and at 2500rpm The Gaffer was up on plane!!.

Outside Grand Harbour, the wind was blowing a good force 7 and gusting even more...the Gaffer showed her true sea worthiness as I drove her straight into the wind doing 16knts.  Then at tigne point I turned and headed into M'xett harbour towards Msida Marina.

This is where it got exciting.  The wind had picked up a bit by then, and was surely gusting strongly, as I approached the pontoon, I faced a NW'ly headwind, and each time I turned the bows to berth the Gaffer, she would drift off course away from my slot.  So, to cut a long story short, I turned the gaffer around and headed bows first into the pontoon.  we faced a sho0rt period of agony while I held onto the gaffer for all my life, as the wind kept pushing the stern away from the pontoon berth.  In the end, a few good hearted souls offered thir help and we managed to berth the Gaffer inside her berthing slot. 

Well, thats the end of it, or the beginning of a new season for the Gaffer. 
Robby17, Guido99 and Venere, prepare yourselves for a retake on that alungi trip.
Beneteau Antares 9.80 - Powered by twin Volvo Penta D4 225HP
     _\____
       /___ \
___ /_____\_______
|_______________/

twoutes

Looks like all your hard work paid off. I look forward of seeing some photos of the new 'Gaffer'. don't you just love the wind  :-\
We're here for a good time...Not a long time

skip

I'm sure Joe was saying 'Bow Thruster', 'Bow Thruster', 'Bow Thruster' !!!

robby017

QuoteWell, thats the end of it, or the beginning of a new season for the Gaffer. 
Robby17, Guido99 and Venere, prepare yourselves for a retake on that alungi trip.

thanks & good job, force 7 is no joke....... ps, you forgot clayton ;)
Scorpion 14.5 feet, Suzuki 60hp & Suzuki 6hp Aux.

Authorised & Licenced Fish Population Controller

Born to Fish, Forced to Work

The_Gaffer

Quote from: robby017 on May 16, 2010, 22:29:40 CET
QuoteWell, thats the end of it, or the beginning of a new season for the Gaffer. 

thanks & good job, force 7 is no joke....... ps, you forgot clayton ;)

And Clayton....forgot about him ostra!!!
Beneteau Antares 9.80 - Powered by twin Volvo Penta D4 225HP
     _\____
       /___ \
___ /_____\_______
|_______________/

MartinB

Many congrats on finishing your project! (or mission more like it :) ) was a very informative read! Best of luck in the upcoming season!