• Welcome to Malta Fishing Forum.

Engine Hydrofoils?

Started by skip, December 26, 2009, 13:25:24 CET

Previous topic - Next topic

skip

Curious to know if anyone has experience with the various hydrofoil fins that can be installed on the engine. I know most of them require you to drill the cavitation plate which I would like to avoid at the moment, but I have come across a couple that clip on.

There seem to be various brands and varying opinions.....with the Doel-Fin being one of the most well known in the US.

Seeing how I don't want to drill, two products seem to be the main contenders. The Stingray XRIII from Marine Dynamics and the SE Sport 300 from Sport Marine Technologies. From reviews online both seem to have issues with their mounting because they are not drilled in to the cavitation plate and both rely on using the anode bolt.

My objective is to help my engine due to the excessive weight I have right at the back. I intend to do this first by moving one of my 50 litre fuel tanks up front, but need to do this properly and professionally and have it bonded and built in place. I will be visiting the guys at Kaptan to see if they can help me and perform the job.

I will then test the boat and see how things are, before resorting to a hydrofoil. Trim tabs are definately the preferred option, but I just don't think I have sufficient space to install them due to the aux on one side and the swim ladder on the other along with tranducers etc.

I will need to go down to the boat and measure, perhaps if need be replace my swim ladder with one of a different design that will provide the necessary clearance for tabs.

Still if anyone has any experience would be great get some opinions.

bigboy

Skip i had installed them on my small albatross and they did make a big difference

shanook

i think i read somewhere that the hydrofoil can damage ur motor puts too much strain on it. So better check with ur outboarddealer as it is still under guarantee, better safe than sorry. As you said trim tabs should be the option and even if they are the smaller ones it should provide enough lift to over come ur weight problem since u are moving the fuel tanks upfront. I think u saw mine and they look ridiculously small for my boat but they provide the lift necessary.

skip

I know the hydrofoil damage issue comes in to play on heavier bigger boats, but not so much on boats in the sub 20 foot category.

But definately my order of preference would be: Redistribute weight, evaluate/install tabs and then a foil.

sirena

hi nick,
i have just received my stingray2 hydrofoil flaps ready to be mounted on my tohatsu should you need to have a look just tell me , they are still in their packaging. pm a message and have a look , its better then the computer view isn't it..........

always want to fish.... why.... cos fun ux!!!

fisheye

My 2c suggestion is, before you move any tanks would it be more practical to try the boat with a bag of sand approx the same weight of the fuel tank and placed exactly where you intend to move the tank. This way you can move the bag from one place to another until you find the proper place. 
Buccaneer 147 powered by Yamaha 85

skip

Very true and a great suggestion :) I was thinking of sending SimonG to hang off the front!! lol

Joking apart, I can def try like that but from the tests i did with equipment I was able to conclude that some weight up front is def needed. but the sand bag would be a more exact science, you're right.

skip

Quote from: sirena on December 27, 2009, 09:08:50 CET
hi nick,
i have just received my stingray2 hydrofoil flaps ready to be mounted on my tohatsu should you need to have a look just tell me , they are still in their packaging. pm a message and have a look , its better then the computer view isn't it..........

Thanks for the offer :) Did you buy locally or abroad. What size engine do you have.....and I guess the Stingray 2 needs to be drilled to the cav plate?

sirena

hi, yes i bought it from e bay uk and got it trough a friend , and you still have to drill but even the ones bought localy you have to drill, there is another model which there is no need to drill just clip on , i dont trust it in the sea cos it will get stolen for sure ,it mounts on clips. my outboard is a 50tohatsu.
always want to fish.... why.... cos fun ux!!!