• Welcome to Malta Fishing Forum.

Downrigger set up?

Started by malliadan, February 21, 2010, 21:30:37 CET

Previous topic - Next topic

malliadan

can anyone please tell me the setup for downrigger fishing please and what type of fish can it be used for?

the downrigger i have is cannon and it has a very heavy ball weight and another wieght (not that heavy) which looks like a glider don't know what it is used for

DaNIEL

shanook

daniel that is a different system how to get the lure to the bottom
One is a dead weight and the other is a planer. Both will put a strain on the mounting of the downrigger. U might have a flip up planer (that is once u catch a fish the planer turns over and planes to the surface.
U have to experiment with both as usual in fishing there are those who swear by each of them. See what u like best. I am from the OLD school and prefer a round of oval ball.
A down rigger is used to troll the deep or mid surface fish. the weight is there to drag the lure behind it and once a fish strikes the lure is released and u play the fish on the rod. if the downrigger is electric u hit the retrieve button and the weight is lifted to the surface with an automatic stop at the surface.
Happy fishing.
Very good for acciol and serra...........as well as dentex etc

malliadan

ok thanks,

what length should i leave between the weight and the lure?

any prefered depths? i think it depends on the place you re fishing in right?

i would be fishing mostly in the south of malta near filfla and other places

Daniel

shanook

distance between lead and lure should be around the 30' if its more no problem. OH dont use lures with lips (for diving) the straight running lures are best.
depth is according to what u are targeting. close to shore the closer u can get to the bottom the better.
Off shore use the fishfinder to lower ur lure to that depth
Hope my 2c helped

visa

there is a book called Fishing with a down rigger . very interesting and quite cheap on the internet, form Cabela, i have it will look for it and try to lend it to you
RASCALA 24ft. with DF225 hp SUZUKI v6 4 stroke

malliadan

oh that would be nice........if you don't find it, i will look for it on ebay

in the photo you can see the lure i'm hoping to use what you think?
http://maltafishingforum.com/talk/index.php?action=gallery;sa=view;id=3865

thanks
Daniel

blueskip

I made my own downrigger, I used the bottom section of an old 50lb class boat rod & put a big wooden Alvey type reel on it with 80lb braid. I cut a piece of reinforced fuel line about 50mm long & pushed a hot needle right through it about 10mm from one end & threaded the 80lb braid through the hole & secured a heavy crane swivel on the end of the braid.
Into the end of the fuel pipe I push one end of a Zip slider (like a cork in a bottle) & just clip my rod line & lure into the clip that is supposed to hold the weight (I stop the lure with a swivel/bead bead/swivel set up) put my reel line into ratchet & lower the heavy gear down as far as I want, this takes the reel line & lure down with it, I just wrap the 80lb braid around the Alvey handle to hold it at a depth. When a fish takes the lure, the Zip slider is pulled out of the fuel tube like a cork coming out of a bottle, & I am left with just the fish on my rod with no weight at all to spoil the fight!
If anybody wants a photo of this free downrigger system I will take one & post it on here, as its a bit difficult to describe. ;)  
Blueskip

Jonathan

sounds interesting blueskip... would love to see a pic as I could not understand the fuel pipe and zipper bit
---- www.BoatLinkMalta.com ----
The Website For 2nd Hand Boats

robby017

same here.... you could also use a clothes peg as a release clip.....
Scorpion 14.5 feet, Suzuki 60hp & Suzuki 6hp Aux.

Authorised & Licenced Fish Population Controller

Born to Fish, Forced to Work

Spirit of Jason

Nice one Blueskip, would be nice to see the pic.

Captain Gus

LapsiBoy

Not sure a clothes peg would hold the pull of the lure...

robby017

it does cos i tried it... successfully as well.. but you need to modify it ;)
Scorpion 14.5 feet, Suzuki 60hp & Suzuki 6hp Aux.

Authorised & Licenced Fish Population Controller

Born to Fish, Forced to Work

blueskip

The weather today was not suitable for taking reasonable photos (it was typical crap British weather) forecast for Thursday is better, perhaps I can get outside & set it up then if the sun ::) comes out, or at least its dry ;D

Blueskip

blueskip

I couldn't attach the photo on here so its in "Shore & Coastal" in the Gallery. The top line in the photo is the "downrigger line", (the weight of course would be much bigger) & the distance between weight & "trip pipe" is up to you, you could use a heavy handline as your downrigger if you wanted to! ;)
The bottom line (yellow monofilament) is the rod line, & the distance between "trip" & lure is up to you. If the lure "trips" at your normal trolling speed then use smaller pipe or crimp it down with a pipe clip or similar, it doesn't matter how tight it is when you get a good strike it will pull it out no problems! ;)
Somebody has kindly posted the photo above, but it has been cut in half & it is missing details so you will have to go to The Gallery to see it properly. ;D
Blueskip

skip

Not cut in half use the scroll bar the picture is too large to be displayed