• Welcome to Malta Fishing Forum.

Can we fish Tuna this year?

Started by snapper, April 03, 2010, 15:37:33 CET

Previous topic - Next topic

snapper

Any one knows if recreational fisherman can fish tuna this year?

robby017

probably on a catch and release basis.........
Scorpion 14.5 feet, Suzuki 60hp & Suzuki 6hp Aux.

Authorised & Licenced Fish Population Controller

Born to Fish, Forced to Work

skip

From what I've heard due to reduced quotas there will be no allocation for recreational. Meaning strictly catch and release

snapper

It is not a good news...hope this will be a temporary measure.

robby017

i highly doubt it being temporary

snapper

Recreational fishing leaves least impact on speices and is the most affected by measures...at least one tuna for every fishing boat every season. That would be fair.

robby017

nick and co tried last year....... at least we got catch and release..... cos originally it was zero fishing for BFT's

snapper

In the booklet given to us when we paid license this year, there was written that only those who obtain a permission  from  the director for fisheries can fish tuna...So it was not a final decision to totally ban tuna fishing this season...

robby017

the booklet given to you was probably printed prior to last year's tuna season...... and is now outdated..... a number of us had applied for the licence and got it, but on the eve of the opening of the season, the licences were re-called as the pro's had already caught all the quota and over.... there are threads onthe forum about this.... im sure you'll find them using the search function...... ps, if you are caught with a tuna on board, any size (from tunnagg to full size BFT) its a 3400 euro fine......

snapper

Even if it was a low fine I do not like to break the rules..there are other fish we can catch and it is not worth the hassel..but still disappointed that nets ruin the sea and trolling is banned in the first place...thanks alot Robby for the information.

redbus9

Are Alungi (albacore) classed as Tuna?  ;D
If you can't eat it don't kill it.

SPITEC

No redbus albacore can be caught freely till now.
FISHING IS THE BEST HOBBY AND IT'S GREAT FOR RELAXING

shanook

yes Albacore are classed as tuna, BUT the tuna we cannot keep is the bluefin tuna..........cant understand as we Maltese should be allowed to catch and keep..............isnt that why the Malta voted against the total ban on fishing for bluefin tuna.......or was it for the commercial fisherman or for a few who make millions out of tuna.......for sure not for the individual who might and I stress might catch a tuna id he is lucky. OH well thats life