• Welcome to Malta Fishing Forum.

st.pauls bay fish farm

Started by bahri, June 18, 2007, 17:39:15 CET

Previous topic - Next topic

bahri

hello all ! i heard that that you can fish along the st.pauls bay fish farm perimiter (tie to their yellow buoys) and fish for vopi, kahli with shrimps - is this reliable source? tks

kempy

yes and its also the same at the fish farm in bbugia
A bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at the office

A woman who has never seen her husband fishing,doesn't know what a patient man she married

bahri

tks for your prompt reply. can you recommend a good spot (coming from bahar ic-cahaq side)?what is the best time you would say ? Sunrise or Sunset?  tk u.

skip

Time of day is a preference thing I reckon, though if you stay after sunset and have a lamp shining on the water you can catch mackerel etc.

bahri

Fair enough! In Ballutta bay area (opposite Exiles), i notice that they seem to be fishing VOPI round the clock! what time would you recommend as the best time to target vopi (ta san pawl!)?

gottie

This time of the year the best time to catch Vopi over there is 6pm till dusk.

bahri

tk u.

what sized hook would you recommend? I was told my MrFish to use size 12 (minghalija!) but it looks too small!

caw

J.

gottie

Size 12 is definately too small. I suggest size 8.

ciappinu

We fish for vopi with Size 10 hooks. This year was very good for vopi at the Mellieha Fish Farms, however now they are going down in numbers. Take at least a 5m rod to get as close as possible to the nets. Also, it would be best to use the food used to feed the Awrat. Apparently you can buy it as some tackle shops. WIth regards to timing, any time is good, but best is always mornings and evenings.i
Seabrave 14 e-Tec 50hp

placebo

depends on the type of hook!

if you go for a VMC hook (black) size 12" is ideal.

the fishing gods might have something for me tomorrow I'll be fishing

bahri

dear skip et al,

tried going fishing for vopi from next to the st pauls fish farms yesterday afternoon but it was way too choppy and nobody was out ... so i didnt really know where to fish!

i didnt realise it was such a large area (size of their operation is pretty impressive from close up!) ... need some spoonfeeding pls... can you tell me which side/corner to fish for vopi (facing the farm with the back to st.pauls) ? do you typically anchor or tie to the boundary ropes/buoys?

tk u

J.

skip

Not fished for Vopi, but usually at night we slip a rope around the boundary line at SPB farm.

bahri

tks Skip - kursita i did try bottom fishing but no joy! what do you typically fish for? is it a sand bottom?

also i am still interested in info about vopi if there is any contributor who could shed some light!

tk u

J.

blackhawkmt

I am not sure but i think it's sand cause yesterday we got 3 pagell from there......

Ian

bahri

nice one! any idea about the vopi?