• Welcome to Malta Fishing Forum.

Engine pulley for winch

Started by bigboy, May 02, 2010, 19:04:53 CET

Previous topic - Next topic

bigboy

Guys on my boat i have the hydraulic pump attatched to my auxilliary engine, the problem is that to operate the winch at a reasonable speed we need to speed up a bit the engine because the pulley the pump is drivien by is a small pulley. Having the small pulley on the engine and the large pulley on the pump causes this problem.

We cannot install a larger pulley because of the sea water pump which is situated directly above the pulley and there is very limited space to increase the diameter of the pulley.

Yesterday a friend of mine suggested to add a tensioner underneth tha engine pulley so as to increase the diameter of the belt.

Would this be a good idea ? or maybe can you suggest something better than that ?

Destination Sea

How about a smaller pulley on the engine or a pulley where two belts can be driven
stimutanouesly. Dont know how winch setup are so cannot help much. Did you solve the blown fuse issue.
Marino Iside 500 - Etec 90
Buccaneer 130 - Mercury 20

bigboy

yepp blown fuse has been solved. Could have been an overload from the starter.

The pump is already driven by 2 belts. By decreasing the size of the pulley it would worsen the problem. The best sollution would be doing something to get 2 turns in the pump with one turn from the engine.

joe2384

Is your pump driven by a toothed sprocket? if it is it might be possible to change the sprocket so effectively change the gear ratio
Live for today, tomorrow might never come

The_Gaffer

Bigboy, in engineering physics, the smaller the pulley wheel, the higher the revs.  So I suggest you change the bigger pulley wheel on the pump for a smaller one and that way you will get more revolutions on the pump side of the pulley.   
Beneteau Antares 9.80 - Powered by twin Volvo Penta D4 225HP
     _\____
       /___ \
___ /_____\_______
|_______________/

bigboy

I have to check of the pulley on the pump can be changed joe as i think the size is standard for all pumps

The_Gaffer

If the pulley on the pump cannot be changes, make the other pulley, the one thats driving the pump pulley, smaller. That way you'll get more revs from each turn of the engine, which will turn the pump more
Beneteau Antares 9.80 - Powered by twin Volvo Penta D4 225HP
     _\____
       /___ \
___ /_____\_______
|_______________/

shanook

I am sure that the pulley is not a permanently fixed to the pump. If it is not then u can always take it to an engineer and have one made to your specification.

Granitu

big boy l marsa emm ta l ingenerija saqsihom tirranga xi haga
Good season so far.....