• Welcome to Malta Fishing Forum.

spearfishing in swimming zones

Started by steve, June 28, 2010, 18:49:03 CET

Previous topic - Next topic

steve

today I was snorkelling in a swimming zone with my harpoon at Qawra (Fra Ben area) and all of a sudden I hear someone shouting from the shore telling me to get out of the swimming zone.

On my return surely enough this lady was waiting for me and it turned out to be a representative from the Malta Tourism Authority. 

She said that I could not use my harpoon in the swimming zone and that next time she would call the police.  She also said that I could not even cross through the swimming zone to go out of the swimming zone with an unloaded harpoon.  ???

Anyone knows what the law says or where can I check this out?

jean

Not sure what the law states, but once again this is proof that any regulations relating to the sea are totally mis-communicated and also at times wrongly enforced. This suggests that either there are no laws, or that persons responsible for divulging such laws in order to protect anyone enjoying any form of activity at sea is not doing getting the job done right.

Re-swimming zones, I would stay away in order to not put anyone or anything at risk, but on the other-hand watch out cause of sea traffic. In summer I used to try avoid Saturdays and Sundays when spearfishing. Left me with a real few hours throughout the week, but better 1 safe hour and no fish. Always remember that no fish is worth a spearfisherman's life at the end of it.   

I'm fed up hearing of people being stopped from pole fishing because a 'licence' (not inverted commas) is required; that reserves are there and no one can fish there (then they throw nets and stuff) or that spear-fishing is illegal in malta!!! On the other hand as soon as summer starts I also get worried sick cause many people don't have any idea what a diving buoy is and put free-divers and divers lives at huge risks. Funnily enough I also had a person commenting that spinning is illegal as lures should be used only from boats! To that (out of desperation) I replied it cannot be illegal as from boats you catch whilst from land you don't - its an excuse to waste time constructively. Ifhem what else could i have said (desperation ta vera).

Anyway, what do you guys think we should do about this situation? Clubs, organisations, etc exist but how can we overcome this situation constructively? Any ideas

baghira

So listen to this.
Last week two officers stopped by  while we were putting the suit on for a spearing day, and I taught that they would alsk for some license......Instead.........................
They were quite interested in what we catch...........
and ended up telling us that if we want to catch fish we have to go at night...
Ear Pain aaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

caldaland

once i proposed that we should form some kind of union. to be protected. i really thought i would stir up some convo. ZILCH! NONE! NIENTE! NADA! XEJN! SAHHA!

ggantno1

S issa ma smajt xejn li ma tistghax tidhol go swimming  zone pero ma niskanta b xejn ghax ligijiet jinbidlu mil llum ghal ghada minghajr ma tkun taf!!! li naf li hu cert li ma tistghax go riservi , bil lejl , u bic cilindri u under 18 years .
.  Jien nejd ghalija ma nidholx minhabba li certu nies li ma jkunux jifmu u ghaldaqstant speargun jasocjawh ma M60 bhal ta rambo  :o u jibzghu u tarahom igergru u jajtu tfal biex jersqu li ma tmurx tispara u torqothom ghaldaqs tant jien nhoss li la hi swimming zone  nhalija ghal min irid jowm , pero din hija opinjoni tieghi !!! Barra min hekk go swimming zone ma nafx ghalxiex tidhol tistad bl storbju li jkun hemm .

@Baghira - Tajba din l storja ma sirt niskanta b xejn jien !!!  :)

Translate pls
Listen, I like female form in minimum dress Money to spend with a capital "S" Get a date with the woman in red Wanna be in heaven with three in a bed !!!

steve

This morning i called 112 (the contact number noted on the swimming zones notice boards) and explained what happened to me yesterday.  

The operator confirmed that only boats are not allowed to use swimming zones and that I could use my harpoon within a swimming zone.  She then suggested that I contact the police depot to futher confirm this.

Called the police depot and the officer on duty also told me that using a harpoon in swimming zones is allowed, however he told me to contact the Qawra police station to double check  ???

I called Qawra police station and spoke the officer there.  They confirmed that I was right and that swimming zones are there only to restrict access to boats.  
Before hanging up, the officer then told me that should I be passing by the Malta Tourism Authority offices I should go in and check with them if the area has been declared a 'restircted/protected area'......  

I am now confused!

EmicMalta

Personally I don t agree that in a swimming zone one goes with a loaded speargun, but then it s not good to say that we cannot go out with unloaded guns. Personally I go alot from land and this is what I do. I always load my guns out of swimming areas.

@ steve:

did she showed you anything that she has any contact with the MTA?

steve

@EmicMalta - yes she had a hanging tag round her neck with MTA logo and her photograph on it and was wearing a white polo shirt with the MTA logo. 

EmicMalta

Tks. If I have sme time tommorrow I try to go  to check over there maybe there will be someone.

ggantno1

Today I checked but found nothing on the mentioned problems ( pole fishing and  speargun in a swimmers zone ) . But to be sure the best thing to do is to check with the local council of the area where this  happened becouse altough there is no law about it ,there could be a by-law .

A by-law is a law for a specific place . for example - In Malta there is no law that forbids going out with glass bottles in your hands from a bar. But in Paceville its illegal to do so .
Thats why the best thing to do is to check with the local council of the area!!!!
Listen, I like female form in minimum dress Money to spend with a capital "S" Get a date with the woman in red Wanna be in heaven with three in a bed !!!