• Welcome to Malta Fishing Forum.

lures for Alongi

Started by malliadan, July 06, 2010, 15:57:12 CET

Previous topic - Next topic

malliadan

A bit late i know, but going for a trip nxt Sat. Got these lures what do you think of them?
http://s993.photobucket.com/albums/af59/malliadan/?action=view&current=DSC00666.jpg

http://s993.photobucket.com/albums/af59/malliadan/?action=view&current=DSC00666.jpg#!oZZ1QQcurrentZZhttp%3A%2F%2Fs993.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Faf59%2Fmalliadan%2F%3Faction%3Dview%26current%3Dlure2.jpg%26

Apart from these have another fish like lure.

Another thing can i have some tips about the basic setup needed ( length of lure from boat, gauges for the lines etc.). gonna troll 2 lures behind, 1 will be on a rod and the other the old fashion way with jerrycans

thanks
Daniel

robby017

lures look good mate......
Scorpion 14.5 feet, Suzuki 60hp & Suzuki 6hp Aux.

Authorised & Licenced Fish Population Controller

Born to Fish, Forced to Work

SEAFOX

Hi Daniel/malliadan - The lures in the picture next to the fork are generally made by Yozuri and have the appearance of a "kalamar", you can get them in 2 sizes and in about 5 colours. We used the larger size with a lot of success and the most effective ones we found out are the bright red back with a white belly. Recently the Alongi do not seem (in my case) interested in them any more...maybe they now know what these lures mean!..but yes they are really good for Alongi - These kalamari cause quite a drag on your rod/line due to thier design but are really "good swimmers". If you are using an outboard/s on your boat make sure that you at least have 25 qama/fathoms behind you as it has been scientifically proved that fish are, in general, scared from the underwater "whine" & exhaust emittance by outboards. Good luck and keep at it. The forecast for Saturday looks quite good, wish you a nice sajda!

malliadan

yes that's yozuri.

thanks guys will give you the results nxt sat. if there will be any!!!

Daniel

skip

Yozuri Hydro Squirts - they used to be a killer and they had them in a green that was very popular. A lot of people gave them good reviews but by the time I bought mine the bite went cold on them, I've yet to catch with a Hydrosquirt! but I know many others who have with great success as Colin pointed out.

guido99

Good lures still my favorite today, but prefer the original versions ( no longer in production unfortunately ) which were of a different  construction not the transparent ones available today. these lures are still deadly for Alungi, been out twice this season so far and all strikes were on these lures.
Hey, what part of "Bring your own Beer" didn't you understand ?

guido99

Quote from: SEAFOX on July 06, 2010, 21:45:18 CET
Hi Daniel/malliadan - The lures in the picture next to the fork are generally made by Yozuri and have the appearance of a "kalamar", you can get them in 2 sizes and in about 5 colours. We used the larger size with a lot of success and the most effective ones we found out are the bright red back with a white belly. Recently the Alongi do not seem (in my case) interested in them any more...maybe they now know what these lures mean!..but yes they are really good for Alongi - These kalamari cause quite a drag on your rod/line due to thier design but are really "good swimmers". If you are using an outboard/s on your boat make sure that you at least have 25 qama/fathoms behind you as it has been scientifically proved that fish are, in general, scared from the underwater "whine" & exhaust emittance by outboards. Good luck and keep at it. The forecast for Saturday looks quite good, wish you a nice sajda!

Seafox do you know where i can get some of the old red/white ones ???

bigboy

Try Gorg at Marsaxlokk mike. Got 3 nice ones from him last summer

ForTuna

Quote from: skip on July 07, 2010, 05:05:01 CET
Yozuri Hydro Squirts - they used to be a killer and they had them in a green that was very popular. A lot of people gave them good reviews but by the time I bought mine the bite went cold on them, I've yet to catch with a Hydrosquirt! but I know many others who have with great success as Colin pointed out.

It's true Skip, last year I bought a green one, I used it twice, about 6 strikes out of 15 ....... i was counting on it for this year but nothing at all....
ForTuna

Triumph 170cc - Evinrude 75 E-TEC

guido99

Quote from: bigboy on July 07, 2010, 08:04:25 CET
Try Gorg at Marsaxlokk mike. Got 3 nice ones from him last summer
Thanks Bigboy

SEAFOX

I used to buy the Hydro Squirts (thanks Skip for reminding me what they are called!) from a tackle shop at Kalkara just before the boat yard. Unfortuneately the shop closed down last year. As Bigboy states I am sure you can find them at George's place in M'Xlokk or try Ta Bormla in Mosta, I think he has them. Most on sale have a transparent belly..these are not as effective as the solid colour, as Guido well remarked. Not easy to find apparently and I did not know that the "solid colour" ones are out of production  Seeing that the last couple of years no fish was interested in them I put them aside. I was also told by a few friends that the green colour is pretty good but I had no luck with them. In fact I had a couple and sprayed the green part bright red, always leaving the white belly. Now that you got us on the subject of the Hydros, and noting some of the reviews ,I shall try one out tomorrow and let you know if the Alongi have changed thier mind!!

ForTuna

HI SeaFox, that is quite strange what you said, mine has a transperent belly and last it prove to be excellent, have some with solid colour but not yozuri , will give the a try on Sunday Hopefully some fish show interest!!
ForTuna

SEAFOX

ForTuna - maybe yours are younger and more attractive - "see through" as they say.... mhux hekk! I never had any luck with the transparent ones, what I can say? Agreed I will try my "non transparent" red Hydro Kalamar tomorrow and you try your sexy baby on Sunday. Inshalla we'll both have some good results. Will be updating you this time tomorrow.

ForTuna

Thanks Seafox , i agree mine has quiet a sexy 'mini' skirt !!! May be they were all males after all hahaha
ForTuna

SEAFOX

Looks like it ForTuna, we''ll see if I can get any males chasing mine tomorrow, I doubt it as they must know that an old guy is at the end of the fishing pole. Went to my "store?!?"" and noted that I do have 2 of the transparent ones but a few others that are non "see-through" white bellied in colour, all in red.
I have the box of the last one I bought from Kalkara so Guido & Malliadan should, if they are interested, take note of the details/specifications of the red Hydro Squirt that we have been chatting about:
Make : Yo-Zuri
Art - Surface Squirt
Size: 150mm x 40gms
Type F
These are the only details found on the Squirt's box at the top where they are hanged from in the shops. Listess kitba bhal Rapalas - hope they help but if the lures are out of production I suggest you try Ebay. Be back tomorrow.