• Welcome to Malta Fishing Forum.

Tunas near fishfarms.

Started by wahx, August 15, 2010, 06:25:45 CET

Previous topic - Next topic

wahx

I like fishing and sometimes I go fishing near the tuna farms located near Ramla Bay Marsascala (Sikka tal-Munxar). I used to tie my boat to the yellow buoys around the fishfarms. But recently I noticed that the fishfarms owners didn't want us to fish near their farms. The truth was that on the outside we noticed many tuna fish on the loose about 30 to 50 fish.
I want to inform you that I saw the fishfarm owner catching some of these tunas. That was why they didn't want us near. I know its against the law catching  the tuna. But the question is why do the authorities do not take any action near these farms? The fishfarm owners can catch the tuna as the ones they catch are mistaken with the ones they have inside their farm. Generally the tunas come near the fishfarm nets when the others inside the net are fed.

Hope some action will be taken because when some fisherman is caught with a tuna fish he is fined but its not the same for the fishfarm owners! Instead of going for tuna themselves the tuna is coming near the farms and the farm owner are taking advantage of  it.

toxictuna

I noticed that they are not allowing us there anymore. Most people where there juts for mackarelle. Last time I was sent off by a big 30-40ft luzzu colour yellow/orange. Was it the same guy? Take photos (with camera) next time and try to get boat's name, if you see him in action. We amateur fisherman need to start taking action too !
On a similar note, by any chance does anyone know where the guy selling small fish in front of Al cafe marsascala from board his luzzucatches the fish? Does this guy have a trading license? I think he is using parit everyday but I am not sure. CAn anyone confirm?

taxxara

wahx, you mentioned that you tie your boat to the yellow bouy. there is a hefty fine if they catch tying your boat to any marker bouy. 300euros if im not mistaken and if you damage it, its 800euros. and if im not mistaken there is a law prohibiting fishing right next to the farms. however if you keep a reasonable distance from the farms, he cant say anything.

skip

So long as you stay either in line or outside of the yellow cardinal buoys they can't tell you anything. However if you are carrying heavy tackle for Tuna you need to have a Bluefin Tuna authorisation permit - without one the fine is around €1000 or something like that which would cause a big dent in your wallet!

In line or outside tell the Luzzu to politely get lost! Wahx please do call the Fisheries Control Department and ask for Mark Gauci Piscopo Tel: 22031211 and report the farm operator, he is NOT allowed to fish for tuna inside his pens or inside of the yellow cardinal buoys - if he does REPORT HIM straight away.

placebo

the fishing gods might have something for me tomorrow I'll be fishing

Granitu

i can confirm the same behaviour too... he is a professional fisherman with mfa registration and he is not authorized by anyone of the pens.

the truth is that he is fishing tuna, and he not just catches one.

Good season so far.....

maltamick

we were fishing early morning last thursday by fish farms near st pauls island and loads of boats were fishing inside the bouys right up to farm pen.
one luzzu went inside and came back with a tuna caught on a large buoy, tied up to outer rope and proceeded to cut the head off with a saw (below water line out of sight) then went away towing dead tuna underwater. this did not seem to be a legal catch due to their manner of secrecy.

EmicMalta

nothing personally but to say that a Luzzu done that is not fair for others and for us going out there for some fun. He was doig something illegale so how you saw him doing the job you could had took his number. Just saying and wait for others to procced is boring.

Arti2

So if you tie your boat to the yellow buoys of a fishfarm you get fined?!?
Maltese to English Names visit www.renotonna.yolasite.com

wahx

I can confirm that these people are still catching tunas and you know what? As the thing is illegal they are selling tunas for 2 ewros per kilo!

EmicMalta

Quote from: wahx on August 22, 2010, 06:21:13 CET
I can confirm that these people are still catching tunas and you know what? As the thing is illegal they are selling tunas for 2 ewros per kilo!

Who are these people that you can confirm that thay are catching and selling tunas?

robby017

and confirm it to the police......... with a photo or video....... (most mobile phones can do such things nowadays).

if you know of any wrongdoing punishable by law, and you do not report it...... than my friend you are just an accomplice........

also, i am speaking in general and not to anybody specific biex ma naqlawx hama al xejn.

Scorpion 14.5 feet, Suzuki 60hp & Suzuki 6hp Aux.

Authorised & Licenced Fish Population Controller

Born to Fish, Forced to Work

EmicMalta

Quote from: robby017 on August 22, 2010, 14:01:38 CET
and confirm it to the police......... with a photo or video....... (most mobile phones can do such things nowadays).

if you know of any wrongdoing punishable by law, and you do not report it...... than my friend you are just an accomplice........

also, i am speaking in general and not to anybody specific biex ma naqlawx hama al xejn.

well said