• Welcome to Malta Fishing Forum.

What fish was it?

Started by ajzammit, August 21, 2010, 14:49:59 CET

Previous topic - Next topic

ajzammit

Hi all.  This morning I went spearfishing and spotted a large long-ish fish, approx 2 ft or more, similar to a barracuda in shape.  I dived, waited as it approached and shot.  Unfortunately, the spear didn't penetrate completely, and after a quick violent struggle, it got away!!!  I'm sure many of you know the feeling!   Would anyone have any idea or suggestion as it what it may have been.  It was brownish in colour, 2ft long, quite slim. Must have weighed around 1kg maybe.   Thank you

caldaland

jean

maybe it was a cornet fish (or trumpet fish) not sure on the name though

Destination Sea

Marino Iside 500 - Etec 90
Buccaneer 130 - Mercury 20

Arti2

Maltese to English Names visit www.renotonna.yolasite.com

SPITEC

Quote from: jean on August 21, 2010, 15:13:25 CET
maybe it was a cornet fish (or trumpet fish) not sure on the name though
Most probably from your describtion it was a cornet fish
FISHING IS THE BEST HOBBY AND IT'S GREAT FOR RELAXING

robby017

if you did not know what it was........... Why on earth did you shoot at it? What if its not good to eat or its poisonous (like the pufferfish) You would have killed it just for kicks? think before pulling the trigger..... don't shoot on every single that moves.......
Scorpion 14.5 feet, Suzuki 60hp & Suzuki 6hp Aux.

Authorised & Licenced Fish Population Controller

Born to Fish, Forced to Work

LapsiBoy

Dak il hin tigennen rob liktar jek tkun ilek xi sija jew tnejn ma tara xejn lol

EmicMalta

Quote from: FREEDIVE on August 22, 2010, 17:43:18 CET
Iwa xi kultant bl istint taqbad u tahraq. Xi snin ilhu kont ilhi is sieghat nistenna gor rawha u f daqqa wahda fegget huta mostru. l aqqas naf kif gbidtulha t tir,l ikbar muletta li qatt rajt. Tghidx kemm hareg bajd lest min go fiha miskina. Kienet dahlet biex tbid u laqqas indunajt b zaqqa. Ghadni sa llum nghewden fuqa jahassra  :-[

din il gieghma semmejtek ma xi hadt u semmili is sajd tijek fir rawa. Gieli jigri hekk u min ajr ma taf tigbed jew gili ticcassa. Kull haga hekk fil hajja.

EmicMalta

fuq it topic, li setet kienet ija trumpet fish imma biex ma tippenetrax hija haga impresjonanti.

ajzammit

HI all.  Thanks for your replies.  It's not cornet fish.  But i have a book on the way to find its name.  Rob, I understand your point.  I don't shoot at everything i see. On the contrary, I'm very selective and only catch something that's worth it.  On another point, I know the fish is edible, it's just that I don't know its name!  I'm bad with names, even with people's names! :-)  I also know most of all the Meds poisonous fish.  Thank you to all for the input. 

Blaze

Could it have been an Agujon Needlefish? Imsella Tal Imperjal. I caught this one in the beginning of July. I was spinning.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGy_cEbA7q4

If it was near the surface its possible it was one. But if it was deep, I doubt it.

LapsiBoy

MartinB

Quote from: Blaze on August 28, 2010, 10:49:06 CET
Could it have been an Agujon Needlefish? Imsella Tal Imperjal. I caught this one in the beginning of July. I was spinning.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGy_cEbA7q4

If it was near the surface its possible it was one. But if it was deep, I doubt it.

Hey nice fish blaze esp. on spinning!! ;) 8) Although don't totally rule out the possiblity of catching one deep! ive had small imsell take a spinner at depth loads of times!

Blaze

Thanx Martin. When I caught it there was a man that helped me net it and he immediately told me an Imsella tal Imperjal. But otherwise when I tell other ppl about it they never heard of a needlefish that big, and they contradict and they tell me its a trumpet fish or contorin. That's till I show them the many photos I took of it. So im gathering that its not popular in our waters.

I'm a 100% sure I seen another one from a different place. I casted in front of it but it didnt buy.

Ajzammit what do u think. Could it have been one of these?