• Welcome to Malta Fishing Forum.

SPACES AVAILABLE - Tuna 'Bashing' Trip - Saturday 22nd July

Started by skip, July 19, 2007, 17:32:37 CET

Previous topic - Next topic

skip

Hi,

We may have 2-3 spaces available for a trip this Saturday, Meet at 5am aiming to return by 4pm for a Tuna Hunting trip following recent sightings.

It would be Lm20 per person with the sharing of any catches.

Message me if interested. You can bring your favourite lures etc or any gear.

Skip

kempy

what a stink the only time there are spaces free and i have to work........  >:(
A bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at the office

A woman who has never seen her husband fishing,doesn't know what a patient man she married

skip

2 spaces confirmed, if anyone is interested let me know tonight as otherwise they will be filled by others.

Skip

Jonathan

How did the trip go guys? I was dying to be with you but I couldn't make it as I was working today. I'ld love to join you on the next one - do you have any date already in mind?
---- www.BoatLinkMalta.com ----
The Website For 2nd Hand Boats

skip

Looked promising in the morning, weather was excellent although the visibility not too great, after seeing some 15kgs tuna (2 or so jump) and circling the area with no luck we headed out to some other co-ordinates, however the further we went out (around 25nm) the quieter it got and then we noticed by 10am most boats had turned back.

We met up with DJS from the forum who was braving the sun on his open boat, he was fishing near the first co-ordinates we had but then moved East, but provided us with some insight when he reported around 30 Dolphins in the area. This could explain where all the fish went, either in their stomach or scared away. The locals certainly knew this as they had all returned to port by say 11am.

We had two strikes, one good, one fairly quick but no fish in unfortunately. I reckon we've been jinxed!! We did a total round trip of 70nm from port to port, going a maximum of 23-25nm out from the Freeport, heading due SW-S.

We tried all sorts, weighted lures, small, larger, squids, feathers, various colours, planers to go fairly deep, surface attractors and daisy chains. Just wasn't mean to be!

Heard various people on the VHF complaining that the fish had gone, yesterday apparently was better.

DJS

Guess it was blanks all round today.... the only thing I caught this morning was the sun. Definitely activity in the area early in the morning lots of seagulls etc. and, like Skip, I saw a couple of large tuna jumping clear of the water (not too far out of the Freeport).

I've seen dolphins in the area before but never so many at the same time -around thirty schooling in about four groups. Wonderful experience seeing them weaving in front of your boat. I guess they were systematically raiding the tuna shoals in that area... hence little activity after 9am. To think of it, it would have worked out much cheaper to pay to watch the dolphin show at Mediterraneo with the round trip costing Lm20.

PS - Skip both strikes that I did have were on the hydro-squirt   
19 ft Galeon Galia with 140 hp Tohatsu

kempy

well the next time you have spaces pls inform me so i can come alone hope fully i will not be working this .......... may be i can bring you some luck as well lol
A bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at the office

A woman who has never seen her husband fishing,doesn't know what a patient man she married

ciappinu

I was out all morning on Friday. Same story. Lots of activity, sea gulls, a coupe of Tuna jumping out, but no strikes and no albacore. I guess we can start preparing for the Lampuki now! I noticed quite alot of FADS where put out already this season.
Seabrave 14 e-Tec 50hp

skip

Hmm very strange, if there was an award for Turtle spotting I think we would have all done well. We counted around 11, with the last one off freeport being the biggest thing I've ever seen, at least a 2m body span fin to fin.

The other theory is that with very high temps in the sun, the surface sea temp would have gotten too high to keep bait fish up on the surface, so predators wouldn't suface to feed. However I don't have  a sea temp probe so could be talking utter rubbish!

redbus9

Re:SPACES AVAILABLE
just missed your last trip skip,got back to uk on 17 july.will be back in malta on agust 22 for 5 weeks.if skip or anyone else has room for me on afishing trip i would be very greatfull,cost shareing of course.the only dates im unavailable(unless something happens) are 31 aug to 2 sept as its st gregory feast in sliema.(3 days).im afraid my tackle is limited to a light/med telescopic rod but i,ve got a reel.ive also got some large hand lines and lures ive made.if anyone is available pleaseleave a message on this forum page or after aug 22 phone me in malta on 21314448 or mob 99848267.thank you, redbus9.
If you can't eat it don't kill it.

skip

We're thinking of doing a trip this weekend, potentially Sunday, maybe maybe saturday depending how the weather pans out. Anyone interested let me know .

Skip

Simon G

lots of small tuna spotted today 5-10 miles west of ta cenc gozo
we should be out on friday will keep you posted skip
by the way use very small lures as they are feeding on fish and squid no bigger then 3 inches ( i went swimming in a shoal of tuna 1-3kg and saw them feed ) ;)
maxxon 420 with 30hp tohatsu
profesional aquarist and under water photographer
semi profesional spearfisherman

skip

Hi Simon,

You going out in the dingy or the larger speedboat? What about Saturday or Sunday?

Skip

skip

skip

Just checking the weather and we're heading out NW of Filfla. Will be on ch.16 'Never Say Die" or MFF Skip.

Give us a shout if you're out.

Skip