• Welcome to Malta Fishing Forum.

Dolphins

Started by skip, July 21, 2007, 23:06:06 CET

Previous topic - Next topic

skip

Hi,

I'd like to ask everyone's verdict when one comes across Dolphins in the general fishing area. I know they spell disaster for Lampuki as they tend to raid the FADs, but what about Albacore and Bluefin max 15kgs. I don't suppose they're able to eat them but I imagine they will drive the fish out of the area, is that a fair assumption.

Today this was very apparent when dolphins turned up, fish buggered off and so did most of the local fisherman from Freeport, Mscala etc.

Would be interested to hear your thoughts.

Skip

twoutes

If they are feeding hang around them, as other fish species will be there feeding as well...But if they are just cruising they will be looking for a feed. I have heard that tuna sometimes hang towards the back of a school of dolphines knowing that eventualy dolphines will find a school of fish for them too.
We're here for a good time...Not a long time

ciappinu

Last summer I was catching Lampuki from a FAD while watching 3 massive dolphins playing and jumping around a few hundred meters away. So don't throw the towel when dolphins are there.
Seabrave 14 e-Tec 50hp

skip

Good to know, no idea why yesterday was so poor for everyone.

busumark

last tuesday and yesterday i saw what i taught was a dolphin but was very big about 20ft or more about 2 miles from land at gnejna area. than a man told me that his friend spent about 30 min taken photos of two whales near filfla. and this morning there was an article that there are fin whales in maltese water. it must have been one of those that i saw

ciappinu

Reading this gives me shivers. I was going out for Albacore last Friday, and when I was around 2 kms away from Ghajn Tuffieha I saw a massive fin coming out of the water. I didn't stop to look, but I knew it was not a dolphin, and nor a shark as it looked very different than anything I ever saw. Now I think I know what I saw!
Seabrave 14 e-Tec 50hp

skip

Whales aren't going to bother you. In fact enjoy the sight and throw them some fish, just make sure it doesn't land too close to the boat!!

gottie

Big blue fin Tuna do hang around with dolphins. In fact that's why some Tuna cans are labeled as Dolphin Friendly. That's because dolphins tend to be caught when Tuna are purse-seined. So blue fins are definately a probability if there are dolphins.  However I doubt wether anything else (including Albacore) would hang around with dolphins.

placebo

filfla area - around 3 miles out

A friend of mine saw the whale last Saturday
the fishing gods might have something for me tomorrow I'll be fishing

ciappinu

In theory yes, they won't do anything. However nature has it that since I only have a 13ft boat, instinct tells me to run for my life when I see one! Howver, i didn't expect it to be a whale. I thought it could be a fish I never saw, definitely not a whale.

In one of my books I have a guide as to which dolphins and whales make it in as far as Malta. I was surprised to see the Sperm Whale included!
Seabrave 14 e-Tec 50hp

Simon G

you think that is strange i caught a trumpet fish endemic of south america
Chris has caught red snapper (African) and a Salmon yes the ones you eat and you think seeing a whale is strange
maxxon 420 with 30hp tohatsu
profesional aquarist and under water photographer
semi profesional spearfisherman

DJS

Wow, what a weird looking fish Simon.... looks like something out of Jurassic Park! Was it caught on a rod and line? 
19 ft Galeon Galia with 140 hp Tohatsu

Simon G

no it was caught spearfishing off gozo.
as far as i know 7 where caught till now all speared on the west coast
ps it was delicious white flesh no bones
maxxon 420 with 30hp tohatsu
profesional aquarist and under water photographer
semi profesional spearfisherman

errol

i spotted 2 dolphins today at comino

ciappinu

At the moment dolphins are closer to shore, probably because they are undisturbed. Last Sunday I saw around 6 dolphins not more than 200 metres from the shore in Mellieha. Quite a sight. And it was not the first time.
Seabrave 14 e-Tec 50hp