• Welcome to Malta Fishing Forum.

New to fishing Require help

Started by ScottishFishy, October 28, 2010, 14:48:59 CET

Previous topic - Next topic

ScottishFishy

I am new to the Island and new to fishing, I want to fish for something longer than a minow from the shore, I currently have an extendable rod and am using a standard float (not quite sure if has a technical term). I ahve been fishing off the rocks of Qawra although fairly unsucessful. Where is best to go and what should I use. Please help an extreme novice!!! :)

maltembu

Have a look in this section mate..

http://maltafishingforum.com/talk/index.php/board,61.0.html

You should get a good start reading posts from this section..

A woman who has never seen her husband fishing, doesn't know what a patient man she married !

There is no such thing as too much equipment.

ken82

as maltembu said

have a look at the forum first. i believe you have a telescopic rod (no reel). if you find nothing have a try at one of the local shops many are very helpful

good luck

Ken

ScottishFishy

Thanks Gents, will read up on the links.

ScottishFishy

Just and update on my novice escapades at the weekend, I managed to lose 7 lines to seaweed or rocks, is there a good location on the north of the Island that anyone can recommend? I was told at the fishing shop to sink the line although not sure if this is correct. I have tried using a float but to no avail, how deep should you sink hooks from the float on the surface? Any help would be appreciated.

blueskip

There are times when you will get better results using a 1up + 1down "flapper" trace, where the weight sits at the bottom of the trace & you have 2 "droppers" coming off 3 way swivels, if you set the bottom dropper from a 3 way swivel set about 6" above the weight & make the dropper about 18" long then the bait will be lying on the bottom, if you set the next dropper about 18" above the bottom one, & keep the hook length about 9" long that will be fishing off the bottom & giving you an each way chance of catching bottom feeders as well as off the boittom feeders I find this method good when I fish from the harbours in Malta where you have deep water ;)
Blueskip

ScottishFishy

Thanks, will give it a try this weekend  :)

placebo

there are many ways to set the float depends on what fish you're targeting.

i suggest you use this method

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1454963048439&set=o.25153755562

for a variety of bottom fish that can be found around.
Baiting small pieces of shrimps or worms will do great.

use a flexi tip rod or feeder rod (quiver tip) for more action on bites and also enables you to cast small weights (that help avoid you being stuck on bottom

when is your next visit malta mr.Blueskip?
the fishing gods might have something for me tomorrow I'll be fishing