• Welcome to Malta Fishing Forum.
Main Menu

Diving Fins

Started by buddyboy, November 13, 2010, 16:19:57 CET

Previous topic - Next topic

buddyboy

I would like to ask opinion and information about diving fins as I need to purchase a new set.
What is the difference between a stiff and a flexible fin blade in relation to deep or shallow waters.
I only dive to a max of 15 mtrs.
On other forums among the most popular are the Cressi Gara 2000 and the Beuchat Mundial Competition.
Any suggestions.

caldaland

contact emicmalta,he will help you.

Granitu

stiff diving fins are excellent for shallow waters where strong currents are present and a better trust is needed. (agguato/aspetto nella sciuma)

if there is no current, more flexible fins in my opinion are better since,
you consume less energy thereby increase oxegen management meaning more breathhold (however some people adapt to stiff fins)
they are more silent and have better degree of control, especially when using agguato

the negative is
their cost compared to stiff fins (carbon is expensive)
fragility -  even though i use twice a week a pair of C4 falcons for 2 years and never had problems.

the main advantage of soft fins will be felt during ascent because of their maneuvrebaility

emic will surely add to this - he surely has more time than me for spearfishing (work + exams at the moment)

personally it really depends on the person - but soft fins do help
Good season so far.....

buddyboy

Thanks for the useful information.

EmicMalta

1) You have to see your body, your weight and the thickness of the suit.
2) Then have to see the number of hours you will be using them.
3) Then have to see what you need them for (shallow or deep) i.e shallow need more weight so stiffer blades.

Cressi and Beuchat have something in common, their footpocket are very similar and lot of people fit them well. Pitty that I m not one of them. Have to wear an italian make with a conseguence of changing footpocket very often cos they brake. Infact I tried many others but no one fit good as this make for me.

As when they say carbone is more fragile, I don t agree with them. If the carbone is well made, this will not brake easy.

This weekend I was diving with Giovanni (he use the Beuchat carbone fins),and after not doing a dive from land for ages I saw him swimming in the current. Impressive, he was like with a pair of power fins. Each fin has its characteristic, and if you try to find the right one, then its very hard to dive without.

I go diving so frequent cos I use only the best in the market that suit for me and my needs. Just changing socks can make difference, immagine fins

buddyboy

Thanks Emic good information.