• Welcome to Malta Fishing Forum.
Main Menu

Boat Registrations

Started by simonc, February 22, 2011, 19:41:03 CET

Previous topic - Next topic

simonc

Hi all i am going to buy a boat which is currently registered as SSR. Does anyone know what it stands for? is it the same as S for Sport?

Your help is much appreciated.

Thanks

AJAX

SSR is the UK small ships register. You cannot fish in Maltese waters with an SSR boat but you can use it for recreation.

Since the budget, the cost to register S is only EUR100 so I would tend to change to local to comply with the law.

fisheye

Small Ships Register (SSR) as far as I know it is the way small ships are registered in Uk. Better to ask at TM marine section
Buccaneer 147 powered by Yamaha 85

The_Gaffer

THe guidance provided here is partially correct.  For the boat to remain registered in the UK under the registration SSR, which stands for Small Ships Registry, you need to have either a permanent address in the UK, or you need to register the boat under someone who lives in the UK and has a permanent address there and of course, you need to trust that person since legally,  you will not have any claim over that boat.  The SSR registration will not allow you to fish in Maltese territorial waters.
Beneteau Antares 9.80 - Powered by twin Volvo Penta D4 225HP
     _\____
       /___ \
___ /_____\_______
|_______________/

busumark

but with SSR you can go out more than 12 miles even if you have a boat less than 6 meters and than you can fish in international waters

The_Gaffer

Quote from: busumark on February 23, 2011, 09:38:43 CET
but with SSR you can go out more than 12 miles even if you have a boat less than 6 meters and than you can fish in international waters

Correct, as I said, you cannot fish in Maltese teritorial waters.  The International law recognises that  Malta has a 13NM radius around the Maltese islands as teritorial waters.  It also recognises a radius of 25NM as an exclusive Maltese fishing zone.  I am not certain whether an SSR registered boat can fish inside the 25NM radius or not, since this is a foreign registered vessel.  Logic tells me that it can't.
Beneteau Antares 9.80 - Powered by twin Volvo Penta D4 225HP
     _\____
       /___ \
___ /_____\_______
|_______________/

SEAFOX

Check also with the Fisheries dept re fishing in Maltese teritorial waters with an SSR registration. What I can say is that when I got my boat from the US last year I was not sure whether to register it as a "Valletta" or SRR on a UK address. Charges for registering a pleasure/fishing boat of our size was of Euro25/pa !!! You can find all the application documents on line. Eventually I registerd the boat with TM at a cost of over Euro300 (first time reg). I can assure you that I was told by a "senior" fisheries offficial that an SSR boat can fish within the 25NM limits but do check again. I would suggest that you leave your SSR boat as it is. There are now many boats in Malta under this title and from those I know none of them have had any problems. Good Luck

shanook

colin u here.............in Malta that is

Granitu

a friend of mine (uk nationality) has an ssr boat gaffer which a gozitan keeps hold of it on his behalf to use it when he comes over in summer.

we went fishing with this boat and when we were spot checked (near kemuna pens) by afm officials no one told us anything.

i think they still can fish recreationally like s registrations.
Good season so far.....

SEAFOX

Shanook - yes I am here in Malta - did not make it to Tripoli on Tuesday as planned, but am in constant touch with my "colleagues" at the office....I'm missing all the action out there but feel very sad & horrified for all the lives being lost!

skip

The advice I was given by Dr. Grupetta during a meeting in 2009 was that foreign flagged vessels were not permitted to fish in the 25nm zone around Malta, even if for pleasure. I wouldn't like to come across an AFM vessel aware of the legislation whilst fishing - in the past the first registration fee for S boats in Malta was very high, but now the amount is far more affordable.

It is true that UK registration is only £25 for 5 years, but if you plan to fish with the boat I wouldn't take the risk, especially given the fact that the UK SSR section require that you be a permanent resident of the UK. Indeed with an SSR boat under 6m, some local insurance companies will allow you to venture out to coastal waters (40nm) providing you carry an aux engine.