• Welcome to Malta Fishing Forum.

The MFF and 2011

Started by The_Gaffer, January 03, 2011, 10:58:37 CET

Previous topic - Next topic

The_Gaffer

Guys, these are stricktly my own personal thoughts and wishes for 2011 and beyond.  I have not shared them, discussed them with anyone yet within the forum.  So this wishlist if fresh out of my thinker (brain) and they could be just dreams, but hey, I'm entitled to my own dreams aren't I!!.  I will be mentioning people, organisations and ideas, without their permission.  These are just my thoughts, but this time I'm bringing them out in the open.  As usual, all is open for debate.

1st.  The Major Big Game event for summer 2011.  Last year when we organised the MFF Oris Alongi competition, I pledged, yes pledged, that we would get 50 boats participating.  The other members of the organising team looked at me with bewilderment...U ejja Gaffer, 50 boats!!!!...hallina...well guys, we actually hit 57 registrations that year, and 55 boats participated.  This year my wish is to move way up the ladder.  
First a robust hard working committee.  I would like to see the MFF affiliated to a good cause.  These are my thoughts.  The MFF organises the ORIS Big Game tournament for 2011.  The good cause organisation in mind is Puttinu Cares.  The entrance fee this year will be per participating boat, not by number of crew.  The participating fee to be 50 Euros per boat, (that was the avarage amount it cost per boat last year).  All proceeds from this will go towards the Puttinu Cares fund.  Administration of this fund will be entrusted to someone with a legal conotation, helped by someone who has accounting skills (you may know to whom I'm referring to here).  Also I would like to see some people who have good orgainsing skills contribute to this committee (in my mind, people with great organisation skills like Camkev, Rammx, Baghira, Edward ir-relax, Cla144, Fortuna,(Rob by17, but he's already got a task, mentioned above together with his better half) together with the usual crowd...ejja guys, we really need you in on this).  I will be sending a PM to each individual, but please, those who think can help, and this event will require a massive contribution by people, please do come forward.  Some of you have already pledged there help.  A massive campaign will be launched on all broadcasting media advertising the event.  I want to see a commemorative magazine published before the event with write ups from the marine industry, fishing and boating equipment suppliers, and contributions from the MFF members.  An advertising campaign is also launched to pull in sponsors for this magazine, with advertising space on this magazine being sold to prospective suppliers wanting to be part of this initiative.  All proceeds from this will go towards the Puttinu care Fund.  My goal is to see the MFF present a cheque of 10,000 Euros towards the organisation Puttinu Cares.  Before you all start falling off your chairs laughing, or swipping cinical remarks that I'm still heavily intoxicated by the alcohol intake of the festive season, lets work out some math.  If we have about 70 ( with a good well placed drive campaign, we can even pull in 100 boats and more) boats participating, all vying for that ORIS watch as 1st prize, we're already talking of participation fee intake of 3,500 Euros.  But vying for the 1st prize is not what its all about.  We're participating because I want to be affiliated, be seen with, know I have contributed to; a good cause.  Thats is why I want the MFF to team up with our sponsors and suppliers, and support the Puttinu Cares Campaign.    Selling of Advertising space on the magazine, say 500 euros for 1 page, full colour, 300 half, and 200 partial, then we're really talking about 10 high end suppliers taking out a full page advert, and racking in some half page adverts.  I still haven't thought out carefully the cost of the magazine, circulation and number of copies to be printed.  As I said, these are just my thoughts  coming out here.
The start point of the MFF ORIS Big Game tournament will be the 2 cardinal markers just off Birzebbugia, with a start time of 7.00am.  All boats will line up the start point, and we'll have a count down to start.  2 or more fast boats, (in my mind, Colin's Seafox and RLR's Rib) will be the pace makers for the start.  Event finishes at 3.00pm, on the Birzebbugia Pier .  A Grand openair BBQ to take place the following weekend with presentation of prizes.  
More thougts, wishes, dreams to follow.
Beneteau Antares 9.80 - Powered by twin Volvo Penta D4 225HP
     _\____
       /___ \
___ /_____\_______
|_______________/

The_Gaffer

Guys, I am taking a this dream very seriously, actually, its no longer a dream, its a target now.  Lets see if you can all share the same dream
     _\____
       /___ \
___ /_____\_______
|_______________/

robby017

Scorpion 14.5 feet, Suzuki 60hp & Suzuki 6hp Aux.

Authorised & Licenced Fish Population Controller

Born to Fish, Forced to Work

The_Gaffer

I just want to add that some people mentioned in my initial post have already pledged their support.  We also expect that during the openair BBQ which will be held the following weekend be compared by a very popular TV personality and the 10,000 Euro cheque is presented to the Puttinu Cares Foundation by (hopefully) the highest authority in this country.  
Of course, during the BBQ there will also be live entertainment by some of this country's best perfroming artists.  That is the plan...lets make it happenRemember guys, our target is 10,000 Euros
     _\____
       /___ \
___ /_____\_______
|_______________/

The_Gaffer

Ohh, by the way, did I mention that this event takes place in June 2011, and by May we need to be done and dusted.  So what I mean to say is.....Hurry up guys, the clock is ticking!!!
     _\____
       /___ \
___ /_____\_______
|_______________/

The_Gaffer

OK, a quick heads up on people who have already offered their help and support:  We already have Fortuna, Robby017 and Dr. Tiziana Maria Refalo (Robby's GF and Public Notary) and Camkev.  Added to this group is Seafox, Shanook, Alfadelta, Mundinu and of course Skip, together with yours truely. 

We are looking for people to take the lead on a number of initiatives including:

Touch points for Corporate and regular sponsors
Touch points with various suppliers
Advertisment
Event handling
Actual tournament and event organisation
Media liason
Mass Entertainment 
and 1001 other activities and tasks involved in organising such a huge event.

We need all the help we can get, and my wish is to have this initiative fully driven by MFF members. 
     _\____
       /___ \
___ /_____\_______
|_______________/

rammx

Very good idea Joe... Count me in

The_Gaffer

Great, only 2 people left to confirm, then we have the core team in place.  By no means is that the end of the list.  We need other people to work in conjuction with the core group.  So all those who feel can contribute, please come forward. 
So added to the earlier list we now also have cla144 (of predapro fame) and rammx.
One thing I want to establish up front...All those who are involved in the organisation of this event, are still free to participate in the tournament!!
     _\____
       /___ \
___ /_____\_______
|_______________/

chrisxue

what about trying to get some participants from other countries,maybe put some posts on other forums?
If the fish are not biting,whatever you do,
do not not do anything.

mike.d.

joe, if i can help in any way, maybe as one of the backroom boys, feel free to put my name down. ;D ;D ;D

shanook

do I really have to confirm?!?!?!?!?!

The_Gaffer

Not really, I was already relying on your help and support....:P
     _\____
       /___ \
___ /_____\_______
|_______________/

shanook

goooooooooooooooood cause if u needed the confirmation all u would have got was a slap on white side

SEAFOX

Joe - As detailed on the PM that I have just sent you, its a pleasure to provide my services where and when required. Despite not taking part in June's Oris Big Game event (I hope that I am not asked to get up by 03.30 am!) I am ready to be of any assistance as required with my boat/crew. Moreover I shall also contribute all "competition" fees requested from participants for this worthy cause. Call me when you start the ball rolling.

baghira

Ear Pain aaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh