• Welcome to Malta Fishing Forum.

Selva / yamaha outboards....

Started by Skalm, January 12, 2011, 10:40:38 CET

Previous topic - Next topic

Skalm

Hi guys, I am interested to buy a 4 stroke 6hp either selva or yamaha, but before I buy I am searching the prons and cons of this outboard.  I am going to use it on a 12.5 feet frejgatina fiberglass boat (min tar rahal gdid). Does someone ever experienced this outboard.?  ??? Thanks guys

TaKinu

My choice go for Yamaha. Never had any problems with mine & find it ideal for what you're searching for. But ofcourse it's only an opinion.
Here is link to Yamaha's web site with more information on them and performance bulletins, they do get better fuel economy than the HPDI models.
http://www.yamaha-motor.com/outboard/products/subcathome/103/home.aspx

malvizzu

@Skalm - I am in the same position as well. I am on the search for a 5HP / 6HP auxilliary for my 14ft Petecraft boat which is powered by a 50HP ETEC Evinrude. I am still undecided between Suzuki, Honda or Tohatsu. My opinion is that most reliable is Suzuki with good after sales from Zarb. Tohatsu are great, hassle free engines but aftersales ???:-\ Honda have long been in the 4-stroke industry. As regards to Yamaha and Selva they are of the same quality. With regards to weight, Tohatsu is the lightest at 24.5kg whilst Suzuki and Honda are at 27kg. Any opinions / suggestions are most welcome as well.
Fastfisher 14 Open powered by Evinrude E-TEC 50HP & Johnson 8HP

lazyfisherman

Malvizzu, can a 5-6 hp outboard be insured when left on a moored boat?(with an outboard lock or similar). I know that this was discussed quite some time ago in another post but I don't remember anybody here posting that he actually did get insurance for outboards under 9.9 hp if these are to be left on the boat's stern/auxilliary bracket while it is on a mooring. It may be ok for the big, strong guys but for somebody like me weighing just 65 kg or so, a 27 kg outboard is pretty heavy (and dangerous) to take on and off each time that the boat is used.

malvizzu

Laferla Insurance, with whom I'm insured, told me that if outboard is locked by a good, heavy duty lock it would be insured. But only when it comes to reality would I know their intentions. Even for me it's heavy to move to and fro and it's not practical at all. And I'm 76kg. It's one thing moving motor on land and another one from or to a boat whilst at sea.

Shaftbomb

Malvizzu why not go with another evinrude?

blueskip

Tohatsu are only the badge name they are made by Nissan & they dont come much bigger than that, why they didn't call it Nissan I dont know they would have been better off.
Quote from: malvizzu on January 13, 2011, 08:54:25 CET
@Skalm - I am in the same position as well. I am on the search for a 5HP / 6HP auxilliary for my 14ft Petecraft boat which is powered by a 50HP ETEC Evinrude. I am still undecided between Suzuki, Honda or Tohatsu. My opinion is that most reliable is Suzuki with good after sales from Zarb. Tohatsu are great, hassle free engines but aftersales ???:-\ Honda have long been in the 4-stroke industry. As regards to Yamaha and Selva they are of the same quality. With regards to weight, Tohatsu is the lightest at 24.5kg whilst Suzuki and Honda are at 27kg. Any opinions / suggestions are most welcome as well.
Blueskip

snapper

I am very satisfied with my selva 60 4 stroke...

malvizzu

@Shaftbomb - The problem is that the new Evinrudes would start from 25HP upwards and I need a small one as an auxiliary. They have a model - 15HP (High Output) and although I don't exactly know what it is it's still way to big for me and weighs 83kg. If there were small ones I would definitely go for the same brand.

@Snapper - They should be taking into consideration that all parts are Yamaha. Don't know what the main difference is - maybe the price?

skip

Selva are getting engines OEM'd from Yamaha so providing you are okay with the cowling design and don't mind that it says Selva(which I wouldn't) I would save a bit and get the Selva, which as soon as you remove the cowling is a Yamaha even with Yammie on the components.

Local agent is Hi-Tec Marine

Tohatsu make their own and then also OEM to Mercury/Mariner so those three are the same with minor styling differences.

I know nothing about Honda as no one ever seems to discuss their aftersales leaving Suzuki vs Tohatsu in the weight category.....and for an aux engine light weight is important.

lazyfisherman

The 15hp high output by evinrude is basically the same as the 25hp e-tec and is just a powered down version intended as a trolling motor for larger boats

snapper

I was told that yamaha and selva are now one company. The price and the local agent are different.
I think that every brand reached a very high standard, and that there is not much difference.

Shaftbomb

I can say from the boatshows I go abroad every year that 90% to 95% of the boats are powered by Yamaha outboards.

Skalm

Thanks for the info guys, i was told from the Hi-tech marine that it has 2 cylinders and from what I searched from the internet is shown as the 6hp has 1 cylinder.  Does any one know for sure if it has 2 cylinders?? because now I am a bit confused.  I think that it is better to have 2 cylinders for a smooth ride.

snapper

Tell him to show you the sparking plugs and you will be 100%