• Welcome to Malta Fishing Forum.

Lures and leaders

Started by benri, January 16, 2011, 08:08:25 CET

Previous topic - Next topic

benri

Hi Guys, I would like to get your opinions/methods when changing lures while trolling.
Do you prepare your lures with a leader for each lure or do you use just one leader with a pin swivel and just change the lure?
I'd rather be fishing.....

The_Gaffer

For every lure I have a leader.  Pin swivels attached at the head of the lure tend to interfere with the swimming action of lures.
Beneteau Antares 9.80 - Powered by twin Volvo Penta D4 225HP
     _\____
       /___ \
___ /_____\_______
|_______________/

benri

Thanks Gaffer. Currently I'm using a similar set up to yours (but swivel on rod side) and was thinking of switching over to one leader with different lures. In fact you pinpointed the issue I am worried about, that is the swivel interfering with the swimming action but I never tried it.

shanook

Yep agreed one swivel at the end of line with Rod.....Each lure with its leader

Thats why sometimes i find difficulty in believing the fluorocarbon. I have SAME lures (colour and all) with different leaders and I get hit on any of them. Maybe the fluoro is invisible but stiff and the other is more flexible and creates less bubbles ( i dont know)

Important if you are using the Rapalas or similar to tie them with their recommended knot otherwise the swimming action is compromised

benri

Yes Shanook - generally I use crimps and loop.

twoutes

l use the same leader and re tie lures when required using  the  'non slip loop knot'
Swivel clips and crips can effect the lures action

http://www.netknots.com/html/non_slip_loop_knot.html
We're here for a good time...Not a long time

shanook

thats the one rapala recommends: 
twoutes I like to change lures every half an hour if I am not catching and the easiest part is with a snapswivel about 2mtrs away from the lure.
I know it causes turbulance but i like straight runners, poppers, jetheads and slant heads, I dont like the deep divers with lips as they slow e down and arenot very good for sharp turns. If I want to go deep I attach a weight, chain or lead.
and I am sure that either of the two cause more turbulance than a swivel

twoutes

I'm sure that a swivel clip two metres away will not effect the swimming action of your lures Shanook, and is a good easy way to change lures without tying knots.
But in our case the swivel clip in the water itself becomes a target, and with lots of toothy critters like baracuda an d mackerel here you can find yourself loosing many expensive lures in a short time.
In any case l like to have minimal harware to none in the water, as it just presents more things that can go wrong.
Since the introduction of 'wind on' leaders, l find that l dont use any clips or swivels at all when trolling....just my opinion :)

benri

what's a wind on leader Twoutes please? how do you attach them to the main line? Won't you have line twist without the swivel?

framerc

For every lure I have a leader and I suggest to use a Rapala knot. It will not interfere with the lure while swimming.

malvizzu

This is a very interesting post. Well done Benri. I have the problem of having to carry a bagful of jablos with different lures on each of them. This is by far a more convenient way having 1 main line and different lures with leaders on one piece of jablo.

@Shanook & Gaffer - how do you tie the leader to the main line - a direct knot on the swivel and having to cut leader each time you change or use a snap swivel.

Another question please: some lures, apart from the o-ring fixed within the lure, have a split-ring attached to it. Should these split-rings be removed and the leader tied directly to the o-ring of the lure?

These videos will help to practise knots mentioned further up in post.

Rapala Lnot
http://www.netknots.com/html/rapala_knot.html

Non-Slip Loop Knot
http://www.netknots.com/html/non_slip_loop_knot.html
Fastfisher 14 Open powered by Evinrude E-TEC 50HP & Johnson 8HP

twoutes

Quote from: benri on January 16, 2011, 13:27:00 CET
what's a wind on leader Twoutes please? how do you attach them to the main line? Won't you have line twist without the swivel?

benri a 'wind on leader' is a leader attached to tubular dacron which enables you to form a loop end on it. In turn you must have a double on the end of your line by means of a 'bimini twist', 'spider hitch' or a 'plait' just to mention a few to form another loop. Its very simple then to connect the two loop to loop.
I've attached this short clip to give you an idea.

You can buy wind on leaders straight off the shelf, but l prefer to make my own.
Yes you can get line twist if you use a dead bait that has not been rigged properly, but hard bodied lures do not spin, and skirted lures can spin on the leader freely. If you do get line twist, just run it off the back of the boat on the way home without the wind on leader attached.

There are many different knots that can be used to tie a leader straight onto a double mono or braided line with out using the dacron type wind on leader, which l do when using lighter gear and leaders....say under 20lb.
In heavey tackle fishing a wind on leader is very usefull as it allows you to wind the fish close to the boat for your mate to gaff the fish or hopefull cut it off for it to live another day :)

twoutes

Quote from: malvizzu on January 16, 2011, 18:04:49 CET

@

Another question please: some lures, apart from the o-ring fixed within the lure, have a split-ring attached to it. Should these split-rings be removed and the leader tied directly to the o-ring of the lure?

The 'Loop Knot' should be tied to the split ring which is there to ensure flexibilty at the tow point of the lure

greenhorn 94

I have an x-rap 8 cm slashbait that I usually use for spinning. Could I use it for trolling? I am going out with some friends next saturday morning for some bottom fishing and wanted to take full advantage of the experience and I would like to troll on the way to the location and back. If the x-rap isn't good could anyone suggest a lure please. I also have small plastic squids which my nannu had given to me but never quite understood how to use them. Any help is GREATLY appreciated

Greenhorn
A bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work!

robby017

as long as you dont exceed 4 to 5 knots, you're ok with the x rap
Scorpion 14.5 feet, Suzuki 60hp & Suzuki 6hp Aux.

Authorised & Licenced Fish Population Controller

Born to Fish, Forced to Work