• Welcome to Malta Fishing Forum.

access to air pump?

Started by bahri, January 17, 2011, 20:53:03 CET

Previous topic - Next topic

EmicMalta

robby017

Scorpion 14.5 feet, Suzuki 60hp & Suzuki 6hp Aux.

Authorised & Licenced Fish Population Controller

Born to Fish, Forced to Work

shanook

either an adapter or else improvise and make one urself ...........

MartinB

Just did a quick search for an "Halkey Roberts adaptor" and found this which is fairly cheap
http://www.rnrmarinestore.com/product_info.php?products_id=28614785
or try the same search or "universal pump adaptor" on e-bay! or if you don't want to wait to order do as shanook said and improvise! Go to a tyre repair place and get hold of an old busted inner tube and cut around the valve stem seat and rig it up with some tyre cement from the inside side of the inner tube with maybe a metal or plastic sleeve (or pipe) to your screw-in Halkey-Roberts connection (i believe the actual connector is a screw-in "bayonnet" type?)

bahri

Thanks for your prompt replies. Yes I do have a Halkey-Roberts valve adapter for a Bravo2 pump but rather than do it with a footpump I was wondering if there is a service station/ puncture repair /ship chandler who will give you access to one at a charge. Doing it with a footpump is not really doable and instead of buying an electric one will investigate the option to try and create and connection for use with the tyre type compressors. thanks again.

EmicMalta

Quote from: EmicMalta on January 17, 2011, 21:04:38 CET
can you find an adapter?

Mine was a question!!!

Infact I use a scuba cylinder to fill up tyres, and so I asked if an adapter is available in the market. With a dive cylinder one can fill up everything very fast and even with high pressure.

bahri

Oops sorry! Yes you can find these adaptors locally from Mecca and also Sealink. I got mine from the UK (Force4) as I could not find an adapter with a wide enough circumference to fit my foot pump tube. The gap was too big to put in some padding.

Romel

I am not sure if this is of help, but many vacuum cleaners can be used in suck or blow mode. A vaccum cleaner will blow my 2.5 meter tender in less than 2 minutes with no adaptors, just by holding the hose over the valve. Then you use the footpump to bring up to the desired pressure. The vacuum does all the hard work as you only need a few strokes with the pump to complete the operation.

skip

How do you get them in blow mode (serious question!!)? I've never seen a direction reverse on any of the ones I've had.

shanook

a google search gave me a Tornado vacuum cleaner that does this. Dont know about the others, mine doesnt but its about 8 years old....

Moonwalker

Some vacuum cleaners have an outlet from where they blow air. But if I had an inflatable I would invest in a small air compressor like those used to inflate car tyres.
Petecraft 20 - twin Mariner 150HP EFI

baghira

Lidl had inflators 12v and 240v for sale. last week they had left a lot at hamrun.
Ear Pain aaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Romel

Skip, you normally remove the hose from the front and put it on the back. I have an inverter on my boat and I bought a small Black & Decker that is not much bigger (dimension wise) than the 12V ones you buy for a car, but has an 800 Watt AC motor. This unit will suck or blow, I bought it at the Black & decker agent in Marsa, it doubles up as a vacuum cleaner & tender inflator. Due to it's small size the filter needs frequent cleaning but on a boat where space is limited it's ideal.