• Welcome to Malta Fishing Forum.

Lampuki Fishing Regulation.

Started by framerc, January 31, 2011, 18:24:04 CET

Previous topic - Next topic

framerc

The Director of Fisheries

Dear Dr. Andreina Fenech Farrugia,

Following Associations Annual General Meetings the following issue was brought forward which caused much concern amongst members and committees.

When MFC boat owners renewed their boat license they were told that they are not allowed to fish for Lampuki especially with surface long lines even with limited number of hooks. As far as I know for MFC this gear is not allowed only for Swordfish,Tuna and Albacore and there is no mention of such prohibition in any legal notice.

Kindly clarify this statement.

Thanking you
Joe Carabott Damato

Secretary Federazzjoni Sajjieda Dilettanti Maltin

January 23, 2011 at 9:30 PM

Dr A. Fenech Farrugia

Under Commission Regulation (EC) 1967 of 2006 that concerns management measures for the sustainable exploitation of fishery resources in the

Mediterranean Sea and is a European Council Regulation states clearly in article 17 paragraph 1 the restrictions on the use of Longlines:

'The use of longlines for highly migratory species shall also be prohibited for leisure fisheries.'

The list of Highly migratory species may be found in Annex I of Commission Regulation (EC) 520 of 2007

This legislation is a European Council Regulation and therefore applicable and binding in its entirety in every Member State.

f/ Dr. Fenech Farrugia

Director (Fisheries Control)

framerc

The_Gaffer

As a forum promoting sustainability and recreational fishing We fully endorse this. Using longlines to catch lampuki is a practice for full time fisherman, who's livelihood depends on the catch. The MFC registration denotes recreational fishing only.
Beneteau Antares 9.80 - Powered by twin Volvo Penta D4 225HP
     _\____
       /___ \
___ /_____\_______
|_______________/

busumark

Article 16 of these regulations states that sport or recreational fishing is prohibited with the use of towed nets, encircling nets, trammel nets, purse seines, dredges, gill nets, and long lines for Tuna and related species.

The Tuna and related species are foung in Annex 11 and the lampuka (dolphin fish is not mentioned there)

Lampuki is mentioned in Annex 1 as highly migratory species and only in article 16 there is mentioned that recreational and sport fishing is prohibited to use long lines apart from the nets. So i think that Lampuki can still be caught with long-line.

framerc

Since Lampuki are mentioned in Annex 1 they can`t be caught with longline.

framerc

Dear All,

It is the custom that the Federation Annual General meeting is held at a premises of one of the Federation Associations. Next AGM will be called March / April. If any Association is interested kindly contact the secretary.

The AGM is open to all amateur fishermen members within the Federation Associations and is an occasion where everyone can discuss all matters from local district needs to General National Fishing Legislation.

I exhort all committees to encourage their respective members to call for such an event.

Thanking you

Dr. Joe Carabott Damato

Secretary Federazzjoni Sajjieda Dilettanti Maltin.

January 31, 2011 at 9:32 AM

ganni

@ gaffer so you call a 30 hook long line a full time practice?? i don't know any propper full timers making use of long lines for lampuki, if yes they are surely making a loss haha
SHIMANO---Tomorrow's tackle today

The_Gaffer

Imrejkba is a totally different way of fishing.  That is traditional, although it is a long line, it is not classified as such since you are not letting the longline out from a boat, but from shore!! and you don't see any pros using L-imrejkba!!!.  Let's be factual here, I am referring to longlines used by dillettanti to maximise the catch once you spot an FAD with a load of lampuki.  Instead of entricing them with a lure, you let out a longline baited with either clamari or tumbrell, and before you know it, all hooks on the longline are taken by lampuki.  You call that recreational fishing!!!!...Same goes for you too Gianni!!!!
     _\____
       /___ \
___ /_____\_______
|_______________/

robby017

Anzi, should the director of fisheries wish to listen to my concerns and opinions....

This is my email.... robby017@hotmail.com

This is my mobile number... 79851709.

I would be more than happy to find some time and meet up and discuss certain issues which I believe are not being takled.
Scorpion 14.5 feet, Suzuki 60hp & Suzuki 6hp Aux.

Authorised & Licenced Fish Population Controller

Born to Fish, Forced to Work

The_Gaffer

Defamatory remarks have been removed.  The topic is unlocked again for discussion.  Please, be careful how you all express yoursleves.  Since this forum is moderated, the person who is posting, the moderator and the administrator of the forum are exposed to liable.  Especially when you're addressing a Public officer.  So, either substantiate your claim, or don't post at all, as it will be subject to moderation.
     _\____
       /___ \
___ /_____\_______
|_______________/

The_Gaffer

Quote from: robby017 on February 01, 2011, 14:10:10 CET
Anzi, should the director of fisheries wish to listen to my concerns and opinions….

This is my email…. robby017@hotmail.com

This is my mobile number… 79851709.

I would be more than happy to find some time and meet up and discuss certain issues which I believe are not being talked.

You are Joe citizen, just like myself...if you feel so strongly about it, why don't you call and arrange an appointment !
     _\____
       /___ \
___ /_____\_______
|_______________/

robby017

That is not how I would use the longline...... remember we can't approach the FADS....... Therefore I would just let it out, on one side I put a small imrejkba and on the other end a botlle full of water as a weight and I let it fish in open water.

The_Gaffer

Whatever.......

Anyway, nothing beats the pull of a lampuka when hooked on a lure, the shear thrill of the fish jumping out of the water, trying desperatey to shake off the hook, and the brilliant display of colours, you'll have to agree Robby, AWSOME!!!
     _\____
       /___ \
___ /_____\_______
|_______________/

robby017

yes i agree....... but i am also a big fan of longlines..... that suspance of what may be hooked when you're feeling those distant thugs on ur line.....

ganni

thats true gaffer and probabbly only a few of you fish lampuki the way i do, with rod and reel sometimes with 0.18mm mono, however a small longline is still a recreational mode of fishing...and it still gives you thrills and is a challenge
SHIMANO---Tomorrow's tackle today