• Welcome to Malta Fishing Forum.

New To Fishing After A 35 Year Break, NEED HELP

Started by Canadian_Charlie, February 12, 2011, 19:18:24 CET

Previous topic - Next topic

Canadian_Charlie

Hi everyone, I'm getting back into fishing after a 35 year break when I was 10 or 12 years old so I consider myself a newbie. Got myself a new rod and reel last month, so far my son and myself went fishing 3 times so far with no luck. Now I'm not trying to catch the biggest fish or the most, if we were to catch one or two we would be more than happy.

We are fishing from land, not a boat and have tried Kalkara and Valletta by the Pixxeria. I am using a DIP Dyna-Strong 400/50, 4.00 MT. 5 sections DXR double X carbon power 20-50g (any info on this rod would help)
and a old spinning reel (new one on the way), for bait we have tried bibi, korean worms and gambli. Still no luck, but maybe it will change.

If anyone can offer some advice it would be more than helpfull.

THANKS

ForTuna

you should try rock fishing early morning , st andrews / bahar ic cghaq area, korean worms should do...
ForTuna

Triumph 170cc - Evinrude 75 E-TEC

Canadian_Charlie

J_Z

Quote from: Canadian_Charlie on February 12, 2011, 19:18:24 CET
Hi everyone, I'm getting back into fishing after a 35 year break when I was 10 or 12 years old so I consider myself a newbie. Got myself a new rod and reel last month, so far my son and myself went fishing 3 times so far with no luck. Now I'm not trying to catch the biggest fish or the most, if we were to catch one or two we would be more than happy.

We are fishing from land, not a boat and have tried Kalkara and Valletta by the Pixxeria. I am using a DIP Dyna-Strong 400/50, 4.00 MT. 5 sections DXR double X carbon power 20-50g (any info on this rod would help)
and a old spinning reel (new one on the way), for bait we have tried bibi, korean worms and gambli. Still no luck, but maybe it will change.

If anyone can offer some advice it would be more than helpfull.

THANKS

Hello Charlie,

I personally have returned to fishing,three years ago, after a break of almost two decades. The technologies and supplies available these days are amazing, and while some systems and techniques haven't change, many other things did.

So the first thing I would suggest to you is to get acquainted with the new equipment available out there. Secondly firmly decide of what type of shore angling you want to practice, decision based on what type of fish you want to catch, what time of day you can fish and mostly to what spots/locations you are willing to get to.

With these two things set in mind, equip yourself with what you will require for the correct and successfull practice of the angling discipline you choose.

In my opinion, there are five main categories of shore angling (rod&reel) which you can practice;

Bottom Fishing (PAF)
Rock Fishing
Surf Casting
Spinning
Ledgering (Bolognese or English type (la 'ngliza))

All of the above require different equipment and different set ups, except maybe rock fishing and surfcasting which mostly share the same type of equipment.

The less expensive equipment is that for entry level Bottom Fishing. With 35€ you should have a very basic tackle which can easily yield some very acceptable results. But do not expect huge catches.

Spinning is mind blowing once you get used to it and you have your first catches, but I would rather start with something else, cause if you have an endless negative series you will regret getting into it risking to lose interest in fishing in general. Mind you... when you catch a fish at spinning, chances are that it is going to be of a very nice size.

Baits are not the same and are dependant on technique/set-up.

Anyway, let me know more of what you have in mind, maybe I can help more...

As a note, I am mainly into rock fishing these days, with some spinning put in and bottom fishing every now and then.

cheers
Joe

J_Z

Quote from: ForTuna on February 13, 2011, 14:34:38 CET
you should try rock fishing early morning , st andrews / bahar ic cghaq area, korean worms should do...

proper rock fishing is not practiced with korean worms

robby017

Scorpion 14.5 feet, Suzuki 60hp & Suzuki 6hp Aux.

Authorised & Licenced Fish Population Controller

Born to Fish, Forced to Work

LapsiBoy

Quote from: robby017 on February 17, 2011, 10:35:28 CET
then what do you recommend?
Quote from: J_Z on February 17, 2011, 10:34:42 CET

I think what your say is stupid no offence. But there is no proper bait for rock fishing. I've tried them all (squid, mackerel, sardines , korean worms , american worms, 'ta limperjal' and you name it....
I think most the fish that i've caught (big and small) have been caught on korean worms and am impressed what a wide variety of fish seem to like them ( Ive even caught a nice lobster on them) the thing is that it's live bait ...
And again i repeat there is no proper bait for rock fishing, one has to experiment and try to know not just what he thinks....I caught loads of fish on korean worms even from deep places so i highly reccomend them as  i always carry a box of them when rock fishing!

J_Z

Quote from: LapsiBoy on February 17, 2011, 10:44:08 CET
Quote from: robby017 on February 17, 2011, 10:35:28 CET
then what do you recommend?
Quote from: J_Z on February 17, 2011, 10:34:42 CET

I think what your say is stupid no offence. But there is no proper bait for rock fishing. I've tried them all (squid, mackerel, sardines , korean worms , american worms, 'ta limperjal' and you name it....
I think most the fish that i've caught (big and small) have been caught on korean worms and am impressed what a wide variety of fish seem to like them ( Ive even caught a nice lobster on them) the thing is that it's live bait ...
And again i repeat there is no proper bait for rock fishing, one has to experiment and try to know not just what he thinks....I caught loads of fish on korean worms even from deep places so i highly reccomend them as  i always carry a box of them when rock fishing!

dude... before claiming others are stupid, can you define rock fishing?

LapsiBoy

And the target thing too...maybe some fish prefer some nice bloody mackerel to a worm but yet again i've been proved wrong over and over by the fish...
( Lippijiet li isoltu naqbad bit tumbreel qbat bil hniex kif ukoll gringijiet uanke cipulazza rajt tinqabad bil hniex !)
But still the best thing to do is to try and mix your bait

LapsiBoy

J_Z

Quote from: LapsiBoy on February 17, 2011, 10:46:28 CET
I didnt say you'r stupid..what your wrote is

still haven't answered, can you define rock fishing please?

I never said korean worms are not a good bait, anzi, I had excellent results on them with catches in the 1kg range.... imma for me you are confusing rock fishing with bottom fishing......

robby017

Scorpion 14.5 feet, Suzuki 60hp & Suzuki 6hp Aux.

Authorised & Licenced Fish Population Controller

Born to Fish, Forced to Work

LapsiBoy

Rock fishing is bottom fishing. That's what i think and my search on google has shown that rock fishing is actually using a paternoster or running ledger to target bottom dwelling fish...better know as bottom fishing for some

LapsiBoy