• Welcome to Malta Fishing Forum.

need some help

Started by greenhorn 94, April 18, 2011, 12:05:36 CET

Previous topic - Next topic

greenhorn 94

hello everyone,

ppl I was wondering if anybody of you would be willing to share with me a good spot for bottom fishing from shore and where a few sargi might bite. I know tat us fisherman like to keep good spots to ourselves but to tell you the truth I haven't been having much luck lately. My live shrimps have never let me down before but now :'(  ....... Due to my college studies I don't have tat much time to go fishing anymore but I'm willing to give up a bit of my time during my easter hols for some fishing. So can anyone at all point out a few good places where I can enjoy a few ours of fishing plssssss at this time of year ???
A bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work!

Granitu

you fish with life shrimp keeping it moving??? (There is a way, if you do not know how forget it it is hard to explain)

a good place would be for sure the place where you may think you could find shrimp but you never find. those places are the best since that is a sign that fish eat shrmps at the location. if you could locate kalanka bay (delimara) for this type of fishing works since sargi there feed a lot on shrimps due to their availability
Good season so far.....

greenhorn 94

Yes Granitu after experimenting I had found a way to feep the shrimp alive by hooking it in a particular manner.

The hook is attached to the terminal by a t-swivel alowing the shrimp some manner of movement so..... Ty for your tip never fished at kalanka bay. I usually use size 6 hooks because some of the shrimps I catch at cirkewwa are usually quite big although I've often been told that size 8 hooks are often recommendable for sargi. To tell you the truth I haven't been catching many sargi do you thing it could be because of the hook size?

ty

greenhorn 94

Would there be any rockpools form which I can catch the shrimp before fishing ?

Tracina

I can't suggest a "good" bottom fishing spot, but I can suggest one to avoid one: Sliema Creek, whilst extremely comfortable, and once very productive, it seems to have very little to offer these days. Last two ledgering sessions were very dissapointing. I was fishing with live shrimp and Korean...

Personally I think that fishing with live shrimp is the killer tactic, so if you don't catch anything with those.... change spot.

Ciao,

Tracina

P.S. Since the ledgering was not productive, yesterday I spent 4 hours mullet fishing with bread&cheese... Apart a couple of Sparli and Vopi, no sign of mullet either... maybe the wrong season?

The_Gaffer

Some good spots from my days are, Cirkewwa/Marfa Jetty.  Grand harbour either Valletta waterfront terminal or Senglea point. 
Beneteau Antares 9.80 - Powered by twin Volvo Penta D4 225HP
     _\____
       /___ \
___ /_____\_______
|_______________/

Granitu

Are you fishing at midnight or in the morning?

live shrimp fishing is a type of fishing i like very much but i think you may have a problem you are not considering.

if you use a paternoster with live shrimp rest assured that if the shrimp remains alive it will hide in the moss and crevises.

the technique i use is running float system and it does work provided the fish is biting and you have a lot of patience.

use small hooks and thin line like .14 else it will restrict the movement of the shrimp.

and you go to cirkewwa ta catch shrimp??? you find shrimp everywhere.... i suggest you go to the nearest location
Good season so far.....

greenhorn 94

No I was thinking of setting out early in the morning and make a day of it . Ty for your advice Granitu I have always used a paternoster rig and funnily enough I never thought of the shrimps hiding in crevices (stupid of me I know). However using the running float rig I don't think you catch tal-qiegh hux ?

greenhorn 94

ty Gaffer never been to senglea point is the fishing there any good?

robby017

QuoteHowever using the running float rig I don't think you catch tal-qiegh hux ?

depends on how you set up..... cos the answer is, yes you can.... esp for awrat, its recomended to use a float or running float......

when are you planning on going?
Scorpion 14.5 feet, Suzuki 60hp & Suzuki 6hp Aux.

Authorised & Licenced Fish Population Controller

Born to Fish, Forced to Work

greenhorn 94

most probably some time towards the end of next week as wind is being forecasted to pick quite a bit in the following 5 days. I would go 2morrow kieku but to tell u d truth (don't laugh ...uwija amel li trid wara kollox :) ) my mum doesn't let me go fishing for some reason this week mur fehma.

Mux daqshekk facli tkun l-unika akkanit tas-sajd fil-familja ax hadd ma jifhmek kemm tghozzu l-passatemp. Jien nghid alija l-iktar l-ikbar kuntenteza alija hi meta nkun bil-qasba f'idi....... Sry b'qajt addej isni xi xih.... :) :)

robby017

Quotemost probably some time towards the end of next week as wind is being forecasted to pick quite a bit in the following 5 days.

so....... it could be force 8 and i'll still find you a place were you can fish  ;) :P

QuoteI would go 2morrow kieku but to tell u d truth (don't laugh ...uwija amel li trid wara kollox  ) my mum doesn't let me go fishing for some reason this week mur fehma.

if you're under 18, amel li tghidlek ommok.... if you're over 18... you're old enough to take a decision and stand up for yourself.  :-\ :-X

QuoteJien nghid alija l-iktar l-ikbar kuntenteza alija hi meta nkun bil-qasba f'idi..

attent kif tuza dik il frazi    ::) ;D

greenhorn 94

lol uwejja taf x'irrid nghid :)  16 andi b'dejt nistad ta xi 10 and haven't looked back :) :)

robby017

hahaha...... jekk trid titghallem xi haga, inzell sliema ferries 1st may, theres the 2nd doubles competition of the KSFA. i'll be missing it as i'll be abroad, otherwise i'd be taking part.

greenhorn 94

ty for the tip i'll try my best to be there :)